xtal 12khz and ic-7300 iq via usb


WA1LGQ
 

Hello, I am trying to use Console with an IC-7300 12khz IQ output via usb. It is sort of working, I just can't figure out how to get the spectrum to center properly in the display. What am I not doing?
Thanks.............Larry


Max
 

I don't use external radios, but as nobody else has answered.......

Firstly, when posting on here it's always best to start with a full screenshot as generated with the built-in Screenshot tool:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/screenshot

SDRC is not designed to always have the tuning "anchored" to the centre position. However, it can be forced back to centre when needed by enabling "Auto center" option on the View tab:




When you have this enabled, if you just slightly touch the "Zoom" slider, the main tuning cursor will jump back to centre.

Just under the "Auto center" tick box you will also see "Mouse-over buttons". If you untick this option (I always do) the Zoom slider is always present at the right of the screen, making a quick tap of the Zoom control very quick and easy.

Hope it helps.

73

Max


WA1LGQ
 

Thanks Max. You are right. Here is a screenshot with "Auto Center" engaged and the zoom slider has been activate. I have 2 mirror image traces. Yes I can select 1 or the other, but I can't just look at one at a time, or zoom one of them. It works in SDR#, but I would rather use SDR Console. Second screen shot is with "Auto Center" disengaged and the zoom slider activated on the right trace. The traces move out to the sides as the zoom slider is adjusted.
Thanks for looking.........Larry


jdow
 

That is a feature that I regard a misfeature of SDRConsole. Simon likes it. He is in the driver's seat. So I try not to bitch about it very much. There are possible issues with the multiple receiver operation that require some "guess work."

{O.O}

On 20211016 17:50:55, WA1LGQ wrote:
Thanks Max. You are right. Here is a screenshot with "Auto Center" engaged and the zoom slider has been activate. I have 2 mirror image traces. Yes I can select 1 or the other, but I can't just look at one at a time, or zoom one of them. It works in SDR#, but I would rather use SDR Console. Second screen shot is with "Auto Center" disengaged and the zoom slider activated on the right trace. The traces move out to the sides as the zoom slider is adjusted.
Thanks for looking.........Larry


Max
 
Edited

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 01:50 AM, WA1LGQ wrote:
Thanks Max. You are right. Here is a screenshot with "Auto Center" engaged and the zoom slider has been activate. I have 2 mirror image traces.
OK Larry, now I see the problem. What causes the mirror images I'm sorry I have no idea as never used SDRC in this mode.

However, with Auto-center ticked, why can you not click on the signal that you wish to tune (left or right image) THEN zoom. Auto-center should always centre the selected/tuned frequency to the centre of the screen, at least that's what I always see here. Maybe something specific about this mode you are seeing that does not obey that behaviour, though I don't see why not?

So in your first shot, your selected/tuned frequency is 22 kHz, but should it not be either around 10kHz or 34 kHz, then Zoom with Auto-center engaged?

In your second shot you do not have Auto-center engaged, so you would therefore need to first manually move the signal to centre of screen by dragging the translucent "spectrum window" bar at the very bottom of the screen, THEN zoom. 

If neither of these work then sorry I must have missed something and maybe someone else understands the issue more than I do.

73

Max


jdow
 

Let's dig a little farther. First, how about full size images? I can't read important settings information. Also is the "IF" output of the 7300 really at 12 ksps audio? If it is you are likely looking at sampling aliases with the tuning you have selected. You won't be able to see anything meaningful around 12 kHz - perhaps 5 kHz. So it's not good for a panadapter. All SDRC could do is add some noise canceling and other such effects and perhaps an additional demodulation mode or two.

All I can find on the web suggests the 7300 is unfit to use as an SDR front end.

{^_^}

On 20211016 17:50:55, WA1LGQ wrote:
Thanks Max. You are right. Here is a screenshot with "Auto Center" engaged and the zoom slider has been activate. I have 2 mirror image traces. Yes I can select 1 or the other, but I can't just look at one at a time, or zoom one of them. It works in SDR#, but I would rather use SDR Console. Second screen shot is with "Auto Center" disengaged and the zoom slider activated on the right trace. The traces move out to the sides as the zoom slider is adjusted.
Thanks for looking.........Larry


Siegfried Jackstien
 

question is is it 12 kc low if (audio) in mono ot is it 12 kc iq (stereo)???

see the mirror i guess that sdr console wants to see iq while the rig sends low if

dg9bfc sigi

ps in hdsdr i can use both ... low if (mono) or iq (stereo) as input ... does sdrc also suport both modes ??

Am 17.10.2021 um 12:48 schrieb jdow:

Let's dig a little farther. First, how about full size images? I can't read important settings information. Also is the "IF" output of the 7300 really at 12 ksps audio? If it is you are likely looking at sampling aliases with the tuning you have selected. You won't be able to see anything meaningful around 12 kHz - perhaps 5 kHz. So it's not good for a panadapter. All SDRC could do is add some noise canceling and other such effects and perhaps an additional demodulation mode or two.

All I can find on the web suggests the 7300 is unfit to use as an SDR front end.

{^_^}

On 20211016 17:50:55, WA1LGQ wrote:
Thanks Max. You are right. Here is a screenshot with "Auto Center" engaged and the zoom slider has been activate. I have 2 mirror image traces. Yes I can select 1 or the other, but I can't just look at one at a time, or zoom one of them. It works in SDR#, but I would rather use SDR Console. Second screen shot is with "Auto Center" disengaged and the zoom slider activated on the right trace. The traces move out to the sides as the zoom slider is adjusted.
Thanks for looking.........Larry


WA1LGQ
 

I do not understand whats going on either Max.

OK Larry, now I see the problem. What causes the mirror images I'm sorry I have no idea as never used SDRC in this mode.


I don't know why the mirror images, they are also in SDR# but I can select and zoom on either one in that software.



However, with Auto-center ticked, why can you not click on the signal that you wish to tune (left or right image) THEN zoom. Auto-center should always centre the selected/tuned frequency to the centre of the screen, at least that's what I always see here. Maybe something specific about this mode you are seeing that does not obey that behaviour, though I don't see why not?

That does not work unfortunately.


In your second shot you do not have Auto-center engaged, so you would therefore need to first manually move the signal to centre of screen by dragging the translucent "spectrum window" bar at the very bottom of the screen, THEN zoom.

That does not work either!I don't know why there are traces at anything other than 12kHz either. Thanks for the help gentlemen!!!!..........Larry





N2MS
 

You have a point. I don't believe the IC-7300 has in IQ output. The IC-7610 has an IQ output.
 
Mike N2MS

On 10/17/2021 6:48 AM jdow <jdow@...> wrote:
 
 
Let's dig a little farther. First, how about full size images? I can't read important settings information. Also is the "IF" output of the 7300 really at 12 ksps audio? If it is you are likely looking at sampling aliases with the tuning you have selected. You won't be able to see anything meaningful around 12 kHz - perhaps 5 kHz. So it's not good for a panadapter. All SDRC could do is add some noise canceling and other such effects and perhaps an additional demodulation mode or two.

All I can find on the web suggests the 7300 is unfit to use as an SDR front end.

{^_^}

On 20211016 17:50:55, WA1LGQ wrote:
Thanks Max. You are right. Here is a screenshot with "Auto Center" engaged and the zoom slider has been activate. I have 2 mirror image traces. Yes I can select 1 or the other, but I can't just look at one at a time, or zoom one of them. It works in SDR#, but I would rather use SDR Console. Second screen shot is with "Auto Center" disengaged and the zoom slider activated on the right trace. The traces move out to the sides as the zoom slider is adjusted.
Thanks for looking.........Larry

_._,_._,_


WA1LGQ
 

The 7300 has both audio and IQ. It is switchable in the menu for the USB output for either..............Larry


N2MS
 

I was thinking of a baseband IQ. The 7610 IQ ia at a sampling frequency of 1.92KHz with a signal bandwidth of 1.66MHZ. You can see a good portion of the spectrum.
 
The 7300 looks to be the output of the IF. What is it used for, external demodulation?
 
Mike N2MS

On 10/17/2021 10:51 AM WA1LGQ <gerboid@...> wrote:
 
 
The 7300 has both audio and IQ. It is switchable in the menu for the USB output for either..............Larry


jdow
 

One comment I found mentioned both 7300 and 7610 were unsuited for use as an SDR front end. At best you get an ersatz ProII or the like.

{^_^}

On 20211017 07:24:32, N2MS wrote:
You have a point. I don't believe the IC-7300 has in IQ output. The IC-7610 has an IQ output.
 
Mike N2MS
On 10/17/2021 6:48 AM jdow <jdow@...> wrote:
 
 
Let's dig a little farther. First, how about full size images? I can't read important settings information. Also is the "IF" output of the 7300 really at 12 ksps audio? If it is you are likely looking at sampling aliases with the tuning you have selected. You won't be able to see anything meaningful around 12 kHz - perhaps 5 kHz. So it's not good for a panadapter. All SDRC could do is add some noise canceling and other such effects and perhaps an additional demodulation mode or two.

All I can find on the web suggests the 7300 is unfit to use as an SDR front end.

{^_^}

On 20211016 17:50:55, WA1LGQ wrote:
Thanks Max. You are right. Here is a screenshot with "Auto Center" engaged and the zoom slider has been activate. I have 2 mirror image traces. Yes I can select 1 or the other, but I can't just look at one at a time, or zoom one of them. It works in SDR#, but I would rather use SDR Console. Second screen shot is with "Auto Center" disengaged and the zoom slider activated on the right trace. The traces move out to the sides as the zoom slider is adjusted.
Thanks for looking.........Larry



Siegfried Jackstien
 

so if it is switched to iq and sdrconsole sees an stereo iq signal there should be NO mirror signal

that is how all of the first generation sdr worked (and some still do) ... they have a baseband clock that mixes down your if to iq (with two clocks at 90 degrees producing the i and the q signal)

my very first steps in sdr were with a (mono!) downmixer to 12kc "audio" if and using hdsdr ... next was a "pappradio" and a "funcubedongle" (the old one)

all these produced iq signals (stereo iq signal) ... and sdrc v3 can work with such a signal as input

a real iq signal should not produce these mirror signals

dg9bfc sigi

Am 17.10.2021 um 16:51 schrieb WA1LGQ:

The 7300 has both audio and IQ. It is switchable in the menu for the USB output for either..............Larry


jdow
 

Um, even if he is tuned to a frequency above twice the sample rate?
{O.O}

On 20211018 03:09:45, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:

so if it is switched to iq and sdrconsole sees an stereo iq signal there should be NO mirror signal

that is how all of the first generation sdr worked (and some still do) ... they have a baseband clock that mixes down your if to iq (with two clocks at 90 degrees producing the i and the q signal)

my very first steps in sdr were with a (mono!) downmixer to 12kc "audio" if and using hdsdr ... next was a "pappradio" and a "funcubedongle" (the old one)

all these produced iq signals (stereo iq signal) ... and sdrc v3 can work with such a signal as input

a real iq signal should not produce these mirror signals

dg9bfc sigi

Am 17.10.2021 um 16:51 schrieb WA1LGQ:
The 7300 has both audio and IQ. It is switchable in the menu for the USB output for either..............Larry


G4UMW
 

Several UK radio shops are advertising this unit which enables the IC-7300 to act as a panadapter:

 

https://www.radioanalog.com/ptrx-7300/

 

73,

Rob/G4UMW

 

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Siegfried Jackstien
Sent: 18 October 2021 11:10
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] xtal 12khz and ic-7300 iq via usb

 

so if it is switched to iq and sdrconsole sees an stereo iq signal there should be NO mirror signal

that is how all of the first generation sdr worked (and some still do) ... they have a baseband clock that mixes down your if to iq (with two clocks at 90 degrees producing the i and the q signal)

my very first steps in sdr were with a (mono!) downmixer to 12kc "audio" if and using hdsdr ... next was a "pappradio" and a "funcubedongle" (the old one)

all these produced iq signals (stereo iq signal) ... and sdrc v3 can work with such a signal as input

a real iq signal should not produce these mirror signals

dg9bfc sigi

Am 17.10.2021 um 16:51 schrieb WA1LGQ:

The 7300 has both audio and IQ. It is switchable in the menu for the USB output for either..............Larry


N2MS
 

This unit taps into the receive signal and brings it out so that an external SDR acts as a panadapter.
 
Mike N2MS

On 10/18/2021 8:54 AM G4UMW <g4umw@...> wrote:
 
 

Several UK radio shops are advertising this unit which enables the IC-7300 to act as a panadapter:

 

https://www.radioanalog.com/ptrx-7300/

 

73,

Rob/G4UMW

 

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Siegfried Jackstien
Sent: 18 October 2021 11:10
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] xtal 12khz and ic-7300 iq via usb

 

so if it is switched to iq and sdrconsole sees an stereo iq signal there should be NO mirror signal

that is how all of the first generation sdr worked (and some still do) ... they have a baseband clock that mixes down your if to iq (with two clocks at 90 degrees producing the i and the q signal)

my very first steps in sdr were with a (mono!) downmixer to 12kc "audio" if and using hdsdr ... next was a "pappradio" and a "funcubedongle" (the old one)

all these produced iq signals (stereo iq signal) ... and sdrc v3 can work with such a signal as input

a real iq signal should not produce these mirror signals

dg9bfc sigi

Am 17.10.2021 um 16:51 schrieb WA1LGQ:

The 7300 has both audio and IQ. It is switchable in the menu for the USB output for either..............Larry

 


WA1LGQ
 

Wow you guys have a much deeper understanding of this stuff than I do. I have heard of that panadapter unit, its more than I need at this point, but its nice. Just some better demodulation is fine for now. I guess I will stick with SDR#. Thanks!!!!!! for the consideration and ideas..............Larry


N2MS
 

Larry,
 
You may also try the SDRC Noise Reduction and Noise Blanker.
 
Mike N2MS

On 10/18/2021 12:47 PM WA1LGQ <gerboid@...> wrote:
 
 
Wow you guys have a much deeper understanding of this stuff than I do. I have heard of that panadapter unit, its more than I need at this point, but its nice. Just some better demodulation is fine for now. I guess I will stick with SDR#. Thanks!!!!!! for the consideration and ideas..............Larry


Siegfried Jackstien
 

sample rate dictates the width of the passband ... tuned frequency is the frequency of the clock (of the sdr) ... and can be anything up to a few ghz ... we do not talk about direct sampling but iq mixing ... with iq mixing the sample rate play only a role how wide you can see a signal sideways from the main clock frequency (the main clock is that damned 0hz spot we sdr users try to avoide)

hmmm do i really have to tell a cat how to miaou?!? joanne i am sure you know all this stuff ;-)

dg9bfc sigi

Am 18.10.2021 um 12:12 schrieb jdow:

Um, even if he is tuned to a frequency above twice the sample rate?
{O.O}

On 20211018 03:09:45, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:

so if it is switched to iq and sdrconsole sees an stereo iq signal there should be NO mirror signal

that is how all of the first generation sdr worked (and some still do) ... they have a baseband clock that mixes down your if to iq (with two clocks at 90 degrees producing the i and the q signal)

my very first steps in sdr were with a (mono!) downmixer to 12kc "audio" if and using hdsdr ... next was a "pappradio" and a "funcubedongle" (the old one)

all these produced iq signals (stereo iq signal) ... and sdrc v3 can work with such a signal as input

a real iq signal should not produce these mirror signals

dg9bfc sigi

Am 17.10.2021 um 16:51 schrieb WA1LGQ:
The 7300 has both audio and IQ. It is switchable in the menu for the USB output for either..............Larry