Topics

Which to choose..AirSpy HF+Discovery or SdrPlay RSP1a

Rand VE4RI

I‘m looking to add one or the other of these sdr’s to work in conjunction with my Icom 7300 as a secondary receiver connected via a MFJ-1708B sdr transmit receive relay. Both receivers are now available. Looking for opinions as to which receiver performs better.

Tnx in advance....Rand VE4RI 

Is there intelligent life on Earth? Yes....But I am going home soon!

Simon Brown

Well,

Airspy Discovery has the best strong signal handling whereas SDRplay solutions display a wider bandwidth. For better signal handling than the Discovery be prepared to pay at least $1,000 (US), maybe closer to $5,000.

It’s up to you – it you have strong signal problems try the Discovery, it not and want ~ 5 MHz bandwidth or more then SDRplay.

Plenty of choice – maybe borrow a unit?

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rand VE4RI
Sent: 13 August 2019 13:33
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Which to choose..AirSpy HF+Discovery or SdrPlay RSP1a

I‘m looking to add one or the other of these sdr’s to work in conjunction with my Icom 7300 as a secondary receiver connected via a MFJ-1708B sdr transmit receive relay. Both receivers are now available. Looking for opinions as to which receiver performs better.

Tnx in advance....Rand VE4RI 

Is there intelligent life on Earth? Yes....But I am going home soon!

Kriss Kliegle

It doesn't take much to overload the RSP1A, I can see AM BC products across the spectrum when using my 124' EFW antenna. Gain has to be set to -35 or -40 dB and in Manual (in Automatic the AGC pumps wildly).  A smaller antenna, not so resonant on the AM bands may be better. Mine are all used as servers, and online users listen anywhere from 'DC-Daylight'. Soon to head over to HRO and pick up another RSP1A (both of mine got the smoke let out from a lightning hit) to allow users access to 6M and higher. My two Airspy Discoveries have yet to be delivered. :( 

If the Discovery is better than it's predecessor, it will be a force to be reckoned with. My Airspy HF+ is in for repairs after the hit as well. It performed extremely well on my large antennas until the loud KABOOM got into the LAN and USB ports of all the server netbook computers. :(

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Mark Cayton

Any T-network antenna tuner will make a very effective pre-filter.
--
Mark  K1LSB

Ramon PE1OUW

Hello Rand,

I bought the RSP1 and replaced it with the RSP1A that I use in conjunction with a TS-590S. Instead of buying something like the MFJ box I did some simple mods inside the TRX to create an antenna output for the SDR. So far no issues here when using a HyEndFed 5 bander wire antenna and a HyGain 3 bander vertical or a separate RX antenna connected to the 590's RX antenna terminal. I also use Omni-Rig to keep both devices synchronized. So you can use the SDRPlay as a PAN receiver.

For sure there are much better performers out there, but for the money the 1A is a great choice.

Cheers,

Ramon, PE1OUW

Martin Ooijman

Elad fdm2

Jerry

I have owned both the RSP1A and the Airspy HF+.  The Airspy  jumps over the 6 meter band and that was a drop dead issue for me.  The Airspy has a very narrow receive bandwidth so the panadaptor can not see the entire band which is not true with the RSP1A and the price of the Airspy is more than the RSP1A.  In fairness the RSP1A overloads badly with strong signals and the Airspy is better. .  Can you buy a better sdr?  Yes, but I have owned several sdr receivers and the RSP1A is a great buy for the money with great software support.
73 Jerry W5RCQ

Mark Cayton

With an effective pre-filter up front I've never seen the RSP1A overload.  I've posted screenshots of 80 dB signals over the noise floor and the RSP1A handles them fine.
--
Mark  K1LSB

terry murphy

What do you use for a pre filter?

Terry
w6leo

Kriss Kliegle

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 01:55 AM, Jerry wrote:
I have owned both the RSP1A and the Airspy HF+.  The Airspy  jumps over the 6 meter band and that was a drop dead issue for me.  The Airspy has a very narrow receive bandwidth so the panadaptor can not see the entire band which is not true with the RSP1A and the price of the Airspy is more than the RSP1A.  In fairness the RSP1A overloads badly with strong signals and the Airspy is better. .  Can you buy a better sdr?  Yes, but I have owned several sdr receivers and the RSP1A is a great buy for the money with great software support.
73 Jerry W5RCQ

Most HF amateur bands are well within the 768 kHz of bandwidth of an AirSpy HF+. When you consider the CW or SSB sub-bands, you are looking at only 250 +/- kHz of spectrum anyways. Looking at swaths of 1 MHz of HF spectrum is great for locating the big gun SW BC stations, but I find myself on 200-100 kHz most of the time to see a more detailed look at the spectrum.

As for external pre-selectors, it adds more cost and complexity to HF listening. Especially for me since I bounce around from 160M thru 17M regularly. Having the pre-selector/band pass filters built in is VERY convenient! Mine are all used as servers, so until Simon has incorporated USB switching capability in SDRC, (which I would use for antenna selection) I'll stick with the built in ones.

JMHO

73 Kriss KA1GJU/AM

PS I'm told a package has arrived yesterday, an AirSpy Discovery perhaps? Will find out tomorrow when I get back into town.