Topics

Which SDR for pan adaptor on a 9MHz IF output?

Chris Wilson

Looking for a new SDR that will interface to the 9MHz IF out on an
FTdx-5000, as a bandscope, and also as a general purpose SDR.

Which should I be looking at please, for HF? It must use ethernet, I
cannot abide USB ;) Thanks.

--

Best regards,
Chris mailto:chris@...

Simon Brown

Erm,

Afedri is possibly the only Ethernet solution available today.

https://www.sdr-radio.com/afedri

Looking for a new SDR that will interface to the 9MHz IF out on an
FTdx-5000, as a bandscope, and also as a general purpose SDR.

Which should I be looking at please, for HF? It must use ethernet, I cannot
abide USB ;) Thanks.

--

Best regards,
Chris mailto:chris@...

Siegfried Jackstien

use a lif kit (downmixer from 9 megs to audio) and use soundcard in maybe?? (yes i now not ethernet ... grin)

those were my first steps in sdr (i used last if 455 kc and a 467 kc mixer)

my first steps were cause i wanted to receive drm on shortwave (diital audio broadcast on shortwave) ... with the software dream andi needed that low 12 kc if signal ... that was way before i had my trusty funcubedongle pro plus

.... but back to topic

hmm ... he wants to have a pan adaptor?!? ... maybe he should feed out the FIRST if signal (before any filtering) and use an rtl dongle then?!?

cause it is before filtering he then can see a wider bandwidth

if he then wants to have it on ethernet ... a raspi and rtl server??

just thinking what could be a  (cheap) solution with a wider bw as using the filtered 9 megs if signal

dg9bfc sigi

ps using rtl dongle is not nailed in stone ... just an example to stay cheap and cause there are ready to use soft solutions for a raspi/rtl combo

Am 23.05.2020 um 12:35 schrieb Simon Brown:

Erm,

Afedri is possibly the only Ethernet solution available today.

https://www.sdr-radio.com/afedri

Looking for a new SDR that will interface to the 9MHz IF out on an
FTdx-5000, as a bandscope, and also as a general purpose SDR.

Which should I be looking at please, for HF? It must use ethernet, I cannot
abide USB ;) Thanks.

EB4APL

Hi Chris,

I don't know the FTdx-5000, but unless this IF output is specifically intended for panadapters, you will be disappointed when you connect any SDR there. The panadapter must be connected to any IF before the selective filters, usually to the first IF, if there is a filter before the tap point the bandwidth shown in the panadapter is almost useless.

My recommendation is to study your radio documentation and schematic before buying any SDR for panadapter. After trying it with the second IF output in my radio (not a FTdx-5000) and finding this output bandwidth unusable, I made a tap in the first IF (73.115 MHz) before the roofing filter. This frequency is adequate for using a RTL-SDR tv dongle, something so cheap that I installed it inside the radio and installed an USB socket in the back panel.

You say that you can not use USB, this limits very much the selection of the SDR receiver that you can buy.

Regards,

Ignacio, EB4APL

El 23/05/2020 a las 13:51, Chris Wilson escribió:

Looking for a new SDR that will interface to the 9MHz IF out on an
FTdx-5000, as a bandscope, and also as a general purpose SDR.

Which should I be looking at please, for HF? It must use ethernet, I
cannot abide USB ;) Thanks.

Gregory Schippers

Why not the Hermes Lite 2 discussed here recently? Opens up TX possibility as well. Ethernet connectivity built in.
Greg, KC8HXO

Simon Brown

Hah,

I was going to suggest that but decided it was a bit ‘daft’ 😊 . Very few Ethernet SDRs available these days.

Saturday, May 23, 2020

As far as I can see there are only bandpass filters in front of the
IF tap, most users of FTdx-5000 sets seem to use it for their
external panadaptor, but thanks for the heads up. I have decided to
keep it cheap and simple and use a (admittedly USB...) Softrock Lite
II on 9MHz for now to see how I get on with this thing. Thank you to
all who have replied, appreciated.

Best regards,
Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@...