What's the trick to SEE and Hear what you are decoding? i.e. RTTY

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Trying to learn how to use the decoder for RTTY. But when I tune in a RTTY signal using the main display (spectrum and waterfall) the signal is always off to one side in the decoder. Making it difficult to place the decoder tuning bands in the proper location.

I tried locked and unlocked to no avail.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Stumped

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Simon Brown

Hi,

The low frequency in the decoder is the frequency shown in the RX window.(10.100.790). Click the < and > to increase the bandwidth in the decoder, the low frequency is always 10.100.790.

Mode is irrelevant.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU
Sent: 07 October 2021 12:01
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] What's the trick to SEE and Hear what you are decoding? i.e. RTTY

Trying to learn how to use the decoder for RTTY. But when I tune in a RTTY signal using the main display (spectrum and waterfall) the signal is always off to one side in the decoder. Making it difficult to place the decoder tuning bands in the proper location.

I tried locked and unlocked to no avail.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Stumped

73 Kriss KA1GJU

--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

You can either see it or hear it, but not both...
By tuning well below it with the main screen, the signal is now somewhat centered in the decoder window and able to place the decoder tuning where it should be. But now you can't hear what you are decoding.

I think I found a work around by tuning below (in frequency) the desired signal, tune in the decoder, lock the decoder frequency, then retune the main display to hear the signal. Is that how it's supposed to work?

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Barry Jablonski

Hi Kriss,

Try using USB instead of CW-U.

Barry
WB2ZXJ

Simon Brown

Also,

Use USB when tuning, then you’ll hear it *or* get a bigger monitor and run two VFOs *or* a second monitor and run a child instance.

Why listen to data – learning RTTY ???

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU
Sent: 07 October 2021 12:20
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] What's the trick to SEE and Hear what you are decoding? i.e. RTTY

By tuning well below it with the main screen, the signal is now somewhat centered in the decoder window and able to place the decoder tuning where it should be. But now you can't hear what you are decoding.

I think I found a work around by tuning below (in frequency) the desired signal, tune in the decoder, lock the decoder frequency, then retune the main display to hear the signal. Is that how it's supposed to work?

73 Kriss KA1GJU

--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Max

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 12:20 PM, Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU wrote:
Kriss

It does work very well  (to both see and hear) if, as Barry and Simon say, you change mode to USB. Set bandwidth to something OK for RTTY (just start with 1 kHz maybe for and 850Hz shift signal, less obviously for 170Hz etc.). Now tune the RTTY signal you want to hear exactly in the middle of the USB passband window. Now look at decoder. You will see the signal as the first one on extreme left of the decoder window.

Be sure to understand, the decoder will decode any signal you click the cursor onto in the decoder decoder window. The DSP bandwidth is totally irrelevant to what the decoder sees. In fact the decoder is live decoding every signal inside the decoder window. If you click around the RTTY signals (during an RTTY contest for example) you will see that it will show all the text that has been transmitted for that signal since you set the frequency. Experiment with the normal/reverse shift setting.

Max

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

I gave a presentation on RTTY at our local club… ( not only a long time member, but the club President, again) 
and it has been a long time since I used RTTY with the PK-232MBX back two solar cycles ago.
I wanted the members to hear it, so they know what it sounds like while tuning across the band. I recorded the RTTY
contest from last weekend and played it back to show how active it is during contests. Then I went to the German WX station (live) to further demonstrate since finding RTTY on a Wednesday evening is like finding hens teeth.

Will try the suggestions, thanks!

73 Kriss KA1GJU