From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io <nj3h@...>
Sent: 10 September 2022 03:26
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io>
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Visual Gain

Would someone be so kind to explain Visual Gain to me.  I have looked at past questions and in the manual where Simon added a paragraph about it.

I am using an Elad S2 receiver with SDRC.  Of course I can make the S meter read from high to low with the range of settings in the Visual Gain options.  So why do some radios have this option and others don't?

With the meter reading SNR and on 137MHz, the SNR averages about 9.0

I realize that there has been discussions about S meter readings probably before there were S meters, but for all of the radios I have owned, I can look at the S meter and read a value that agrees with other radios that I own. So what do I to do to be able to have a decent and in the ballpark S value using the S2 and Console?

Thanks,
George

George Stein - NJ3H

Thank, Simon.  So what value should I set the Visual Gain to to get an approximation of what the signal strength is (in S-units or dBm)? I don't have enough to go on to be able to even guess the correct setting.

Regards,
George, NJ3H
Redmond, Oregon USA
DMR ID:  3141315
AllStar Node:  49246
EchoLink Node NJ3H-L:  3135
Hamshack Hotline:  5050
Hams Over IP:  100100
BPQ Nodes (AXIP & VHF):
   NJ3H-7:RDMOR
   NJ3H-1:RDMBBS
   NJ3H-4:RDMCHT

On Friday, September 9, 2022 at 09:52:29 PM PDT, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Hi,

Most radios have this option, I simply multiple the IQ data by this value. It really should be replaced with a common frequency / bandwidth / radio setting.

Would someone be so kind to explain Visual Gain to me.  I have looked at past questions and in the manual where Simon added a paragraph about it.

I am using an Elad S2 receiver with SDRC.  Of course I can make the S meter read from high to low with the range of settings in the Visual Gain options.  So why do some radios have this option and others don't?

With the meter reading SNR and on 137MHz, the SNR averages about 9.0

I realize that there has been discussions about S meter readings probably before there were S meters, but for all of the radios I have owned, I can look at the S meter and read a value that agrees with other radios that I own. So what do I to do to be able to have a decent and in the ballpark S value using the S2 and Console?

Thanks,
George

Set it to whatever you want, it's purely a digital gain, unless set to a stupidly low value this will not affect the DSP. If in doubt leave it at 0.

Would someone be so kind to explain Visual Gain to me.  I have looked at past questions and in the manual where Simon added a paragraph about it.

I am using an Elad S2 receiver with SDRC.  Of course I can make the S meter read from high to low with the range of settings in the Visual Gain options.  So why do some radios have this option and others don't?

With the meter reading SNR and on 137MHz, the SNR averages about 9.0

I realize that there has been discussions about S meter readings probably before there were S meters, but for all of the radios I have owned, I can look at the S meter and read a value that agrees with other radios that I own. So what do I to do to be able to have a decent and in the ballpark S value using the S2 and Console?

Thanks,
George

I believe Simon is rethinking it. So explanations are spurious. Set it at zero for now.

{^_^}

On 20220909 19:26:14, George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io wrote:

Would someone be so kind to explain Visual Gain to me.  I have looked at past questions and in the manual where Simon added a paragraph about it.

I am using an Elad S2 receiver with SDRC.  Of course I can make the S meter read from high to low with the range of settings in the Visual Gain options.  So why do some radios have this option and others don't?

With the meter reading SNR and on 137MHz, the SNR averages about 9.0

I realize that there has been discussions about S meter readings probably before there were S meters, but for all of the radios I have owned, I can look at the S meter and read a value that agrees with other radios that I own. So what do I to do to be able to have a decent and in the ballpark S value using the S2 and Console?

Thanks,
George

Max

On Sat, Sep 10, 2022 at 03:26 AM, George Stein - NJ3H wrote:
I realize that there has been discussions about S meter readings probably before there were S meters, but for all of the radios I have owned, I can look at the S meter and read a value that agrees with other radios that I own. So what do I to do to be able to have a decent and in the ballpark S value using the S2 and Console?
The way I set mine is to pull the antenna from the receiver, then use Visual Gain to set the noise level to S0 before reconnecting the antenna. I always seem to get sensible S Meter readings that way. All relative of course but seems to work well for me.

Max