Video card supporting H265 in hardware recommendations please?

Chris Wilson

Moving slowly into digital amateur TV and looking for a video card that will boost SDR Console's performance and also allow full hardware compatibility with the H265 codec. It looks a bit of a minefield, what should I be looking at please for Windows 7 64 bit Pro OS? Thanks.

--

Best regards,
Chris mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

Dave Wright

Nvidia cards with HEVC (H.265) that I use are GTX 960, GTX 1080 Ti, GTX 1050 and GTX 1660 Ti.
The 950 and 1080 computers have  W7 pro, W8.1 pro, W10 pro and Linux OS.  The 1050 and 1660 computers have W10 pro and Linux.

Dave Wright N8IT

BobS

I have always run SDR Console with an nVidea card because of its Cuda support. That's not to say that Open GL with an AMD card isn't good. It's just that SDR Console has worked so well with nVidea cards that I won't pick another.

That being said, I just ordered a laptop with Intel integrated graphics, so I'm breaking my own advice!

Max

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 01:21 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
Moving slowly into digital amateur TV and looking for a video card that will boost SDR Console's performance and also allow full hardware compatibility with the H265 codec. It looks a bit of a minefield, what should I be looking at please for Windows 7 64 bit Pro OS? Thanks.
Not an expert but I understand that the popular GTX1650 Super will handle HEVC (Turing 116) whereas the original "non-SUper" 1650 does not (TU117).

See here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVENC

Max

Chris Wilson

Hello Max,

Saturday, May 29, 2021

Thanks Max, Dave and Bob for your replies, that helps me a lot, all the best.

Best regards,
Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv