Version 3.0.26 Wobbly audio ?

Peter (G1FXE)

Edited

Good evening group.

I've just installed SDR Console V3.0.26 64-Bit with the hope of using it in conjunction with a Pluto (on its way to me) to access QO-100.

But, I have a problem, when familiarising myself with the software using an RTL Dongle and listening to BC-FM the receive audio is very wobbly and occasionally drops out for a ms or two.
I have gone through all of the setup items and the audio buffer settings do make a very slight difference but the 'wobbling' persists.

When researching trying to find answers I did notice though that the more tabs I opened in my browser the better the audio got !
This translates to a higher CPU Load and a Lower Audio Playback Buffer Value, as displayed on the SDR Console taskbar.
Obviously artificially increasing the CPU load is not the real answer.

Any tips or Hints as to where I can look next ?

BTW, My shack PC is a Intel Core i3 with Windows 10 64-Bit and comfortably runs my Anan 100D via Thetis or PowerSDR. Also the RTL_Dongle works perfectly with SDR #.

Thanks,
Peter.....
(G1FXE)

jdow

It you modify power settings so that the CPU is running flat out all the time, which requires really good heat sinks, that may get rid of the problem. I'd also look into running the SDRC at a slightly higher priority.

{^_^}

On 20210312 11:31:54, Peter via groups.io wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Another point, with an RTL dongle don't go above 2.4 msps. It starts dropping samples in all the dongles I have had pass through my hands. That gives "wobbly audio."

{o.o}

On 20210312 20:17:23, jdow wrote:
[...]

Jdow, thanks for tips but the issue is with low CPU load the audio problem is present, when CPU load is high no problem. No scope for any special heatsinking on the CPU I'm afraid as the PC is an all inmone.

Bandwidth is already set at the correct level.
--
Peter.....
(G1FXE)

Simon Brown

Let’s see a screenshot as an attachment.

Jdow, thanks for tips but the issue is with low CPU load the audio problem is present, when CPU load is high no problem. No scope for any special heatsinking on the CPU I'm afraid as the PC is an all inmone.

Bandwidth is already set at the correct level.
--
Peter.....
(G1FXE)

מיכה קליין

Hello Peter,
Same issue here. I run sdr-console v. 3.0.22,  laptop with i7 16gb 64bit os, Realtek high definition audio card,  win 7 proffesional.
Only fix I have found is a backgrond youtube window open, preferably with a video running in loop.
This way the problem is gone.
Micha 4z1km

ב מרץ 13, 2021 8:55, Peter (G1FXE) via groups.io כתב:
Jdow, thanks for tips but the issue is with low CPU load the audio problem is present, when CPU load is high no problem. No scope for any special heatsinking on the CPU I'm afraid as the PC is an all inmone.

Bandwidth is already set at the correct level.
--
Peter.....
(G1FXE)

Simon Brown

Rule #1: Screenshot.

Rule #2: Add as an attachment.

Same issue here. I run sdr-console v. 3.0.22,  laptop with i7 16gb 64bit os, Realtek high definition audio card,  win 7 proffesional.

Only fix I have found is a backgrond youtube window open, preferably with a video running in loop.

This way the problem is gone.

Micha 4z1km

ב מרץ 13, 2021 8:55, Peter (G1FXE) via groups.io כתב:

Jdow, thanks for tips but the issue is with low CPU load the audio problem is present, when CPU load is high no problem. No scope for any special heatsinking on the CPU I'm afraid as the PC is an all inmone.

Bandwidth is already set at the correct level.
--
Peter.....
(
G1FXE)

Peter (G1FXE)

Simon,

Playing some more I have found that if I swap to the Motherboard Sound Chipset (Realtek High Definition Audio) the problem goes away however the sound from this card via the internal speakers is horrible !

My default Sound Device (where I experience the problem) is a Behringer UMC204HD connected to some nice Monitor Speakers, this works without issue on all other applications (Thetis, Powersdr, SDR# etc) and would be my preferred setup to use with SDR Console if we can resolve this 'wobbling'/'stuttering' problem.

I have checked that the Behringer is connected to a USB3 port (It is) and played with some of the buffering setting via its control panel, no joy.
Screenshots attached, incl the audio options screen(s) just to demonstrate that for both sound devices are at 'default' presently, tiny change to the problem is I dabble with these settings but still far from acceptable.

מיכה קליין - I'm glad i'm not alone in this problem, I thought increasing the CPU Load as a fix was just something I was imagining !

Thanks all for the time you are taking in helping.
--
Peter.....
(G1FXE)

Simon Brown

Peter,

I’m off out soon. I suggest we get the internal audio working first – so a screenshot using the standard PC’s audio please. You can always make an audio recording, MP3 is OK for this.

Can you give me a link to your PC please?

[...]

That is why I suggested set the CPU to always run at full speed. Throttling is associated with problems solved by popping up a browser, even on an empty page.

{^_^}

On 20210312 22:55:13, Peter (G1FXE) via groups.io wrote:
Jdow, thanks for tips but the issue is with low CPU load the audio problem is present, when CPU load is high no problem. No scope for any special heatsinking on the CPU I'm afraid as the PC is an all inmone.

Bandwidth is already set at the correct level.
--
Peter.....
(G1FXE)

Peter (G1FXE)

Edited

Where are you suggesting I set the CPU to run at full speed ? Not something I have experience of i'm afraid.
Guidance appreciated.

Peter.....

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 09:55 AM, jdow wrote:
That is why I suggested set the CPU to always run at full speed. Throttling is associated with problems solved by popping up a browser, even on an empty page.

{^_^}

On 20210312 22:55:13, Peter (G1FXE) via groups.io wrote:
Jdow, thanks for tips but the issue is with low CPU load the audio problem is present, when CPU load is high no problem. No scope for any special heatsinking on the CPU I'm afraid as the PC is an all inmone.

Bandwidth is already set at the correct level.
--
Peter.....
(G1FXE)

--
Peter.....
(G1FXE)

Max

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 10:28 AM, Peter (G1FXE) wrote:
Where are you suggesting I set the CPU to run at full speed ? Not something I have experience of i'm afraid.
Guidance appreciated.

Peter.....
Windows 10 Advanced Power settings. From your description of "internal speakers" I would guess this means it's a laptop? They often have power settings set to conserve battery power by restricting the CPU power. May be this? As far as I know this is where it's set. See attached picture. Or there may just be a preset power plan in the top drop-down for "Maximum performance".

73

Max

Peter (G1FXE)

Simon,

Just to clarify, using the standard PC audio Device (Realtek) everything works 100%. When I referred to horrible audio using the standard PC audio it was the low quality speakers internal in the All in one pc that are the problem there, definitely not a SDR Console problem.

I have tried recording via the SDR Console recording tab, the problem with that is regardless of the recording device selected in Windows Sound settings the recording all come out 100% OK.
Note quite the quality you probably need but attached is an MP3 that sort of demonstrates the problem with the Behringer audio, The only way I could capture this was to use a dynamic Mic held up to one of the speakers and record via Audacity. However, the recording doesn't quite demonstrate the problem  as each application I open (for example Audacity to record the file) increases the CPU Load which appears to reduce the Audio Playback Buffer value in SDR Console thus correcting the warbling problem.
The more the CPU load the less the buffer value in ms !

With the problematic Behringer Sound Device, CPU usage is about 15-20%, Audio Playback Buffer Value around 500ms
With the Realtek, CPU usage 20-25%, Audio Playback Buffer Value around 85ms

I've attached the 2nd screenshot from my previous post which i the one for the standard PC audio device (Realtek).

I assume you want to connect to my PC ? Teamviewer or such like ?

Rgds,
Peter.....

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 08:37 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

Peter,

I’m off out soon. I suggest we get the internal audio working first – so a screenshot using the standard PC’s audio please. You can always make an audio recording, MP3 is OK for this.

Can you give me a link to your PC please?

Peter.....
(G1FXE)

Simon Brown

OK,

The problem is then driving the headphones. Thanks for the screenshot & recording. This time I want the logfile, I have a hunch but need to see this first.

[...]

settings->System->Power and Sleep
On the far right under "Related settings" click on "Additional power settings." Show additional plans". Select High Performance.

Or.... here are two bat files I use.
===8<--- MaxPerf.bat
@powercfg /S 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c
===8<---
===8<--- BalPerf.bat
@powercfg /S 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e
===8<---

With task manager you can see the effects the two commands produce. Unfortunately much of what is going on here is hidden by Microsoft's GUIDs for the two power modes. And I am not even sure they will be the same on your system as mine because I forget where I got this.

There may be better information on Google. The GUI is a way of making it more understandable. You select a power plan. High performance nominally is "pedal to the metal." Balanced performance is fine for most things including youtube. Power saver might be the way to go for reading mail and the like if power saving is important to you.

{^_^}

On 20210313 02:28:43, Peter (G1FXE) via groups.io wrote:
Where are you suggetsing I set the CPU to run at full speed ? Not something I have experience of i'm afraid.
[...]

"It's Behringer - cheap knockoffs of the good stuff."
{o.o}

On 20210313 02:57:33, Peter (G1FXE) via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Realtek High Def Audio.JPG

Siegfried Jackstien

in program options/start you may find an option to increase "priority to above normal" to reduce interruptions

did you try that?!?

dg9bfc sigi

Am 12.03.2021 um 19:31 schrieb Peter via groups.io:

[...]

Well, It appears that the problem has fixed itself...ghosts in the machine !

Here's what I did/happened since I sent the last files to you Simon:
1. Disconnected the Behringer and threw it to one side
2. Re-enabled a couple of the standard PC Audio (Realtek) components, namely 'Stereo Mix - Realtek high definition Audio' & 'Microphone Realtek high definition audio'
3. Made up a lead to take the Audio Out from the PC/Realtek to the Monitor Speakers directly
4. Plugged monitor speaker into PC/Realtek, Realtek driver asked what I had just plugged in, confirmed 'speaker out'
5. Made Realtek the default 'Output' Device
6. Tested SDR Console all good

When you requested the log file, I reversed all of the above, namely re-disabling the Realtek components in Point 2, removing all extra leads, plugged Behringer back into the Same USB port as used previously,
made Behringer the default 'Output' device. Started SDR Console and now audio is perfect using the Behringer.
Additionally both the CPU Load & Audio playback buffer values are much lower - CPU: 17.7% Audio: 29ms when using the Behringer

No re-boots or other activities, other than closing SDR Console when not in use.

Probably not of much use to you now but latest Behringer screenshot & logfile attached. Wish I'd captured the previous logs now !

Thanks

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021 at 11:31 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

[...]

jdow & Siegfried

Problem has mysteriously gone now (see reply to Simon). Thanks for the tips though, i'll keep them for future reference.
--
Peter.....
(G1FXE)

Simon Brown