Topics

v3.0.18 Locks up and Squelch issue

CF8600

Since recently updating Console to v3.0.18 I am now experiencing two problems.

The first problem is if I leave Console unattended for around 10 minutes, to be specific; if I do not interact at all with my PC for around 10 minutes then Console completely locks up.  I cannot do anything with the PC at all.  Pressing the Windows key doesn't bring up the Task Bar, Pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing ... my hard drive light is on solid.  The only way out is to hold the power button on the PC for around 4 seconds to force an immediate power off of the system (resulting in the next time Windows starts up it says Windows didn't shutdown correctly, Windows will attempt a normal boot after 30 seconds).

The second issue is when tuning around the 118 - 136MHz AM (not tried it elsewhere or another Mode such as NFM) with my Squelch set to 25, even strong signals that go above the Squelch threshold do not open up the Squelch.

Kriss Kliegle

1) Make n model of SDR connected
2) Windoze 7? 10?
3) Screen Shot attached (not embedded with text)
    A) Screen shot at about 8 minutes into the 10, just prior to it going bad
    B) Screen shot showing DSP panel squelch settings

Just about all of these are required to enable us to help you. Simon's favorite saying... "I can't see your screen! Help me!"
See my attached pic!

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Bote Man

My guess is that Windows is going into "sleep" mode after 10 minutes of inactivity which is then causing the problems that you noted. I don't think the USB hardware likes that when it is shoveling mass amounts of data across the buss.

Check your Power settings to confirm.

--
Bote's Streaming Scanner Feeds
http://www.botecomm.com/bote/radio/streaming.html

jdow

Turn off the screen blanker and monitor shut-off?
{^_^}

On 20200107 08:41:42, CF8600 wrote:
[...]

David J Taylor

From: jdow

Turn off the screen blanker and monitor shut-off?
{^_^}
=============================

BTW: I found that on one PC even when the sleep on mains power was set to "Never" the PC still slept! I wrote a small program to waggle the mouse every so often to stop that PC from sleeping. It's in an unattended 24x7 application, currently receiving the Meteor M-N2 weather satellite. Copies available if needed.

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Simon Brown

David,

There's an API call you can use which tells Windows that Monitors / Processing is required. This is a 100% reliable way to stop the PC going to sleep unless a program explicitly sends the PC to sleep.

[...]

=======================================

Thanks, Simon. I found SetThreadExecutionState and likely SYSTEM and CONTINUOUS flags would do nicely.

It's a function which is required when third-party software doesn't have that capability. In this case, even with the PC set never to sleep, it still slept, and there was only one power plan offered. Yes, I did check the "advanced" options! It's a laptop, so I can see why HP might have intentionally hidden other options. The CPU usage averages at under 1% so heat isn't going to be an issue.

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

jdow

You can easily enough make new power plans.
{o.o}

From: jdow

You can easily enough make new power plans.
{o.o}
============================

I haven't done that - yet. But in some respects I prefer a work-round which is portable between PCs than customising a PC in a somewhat non-standard way, which would have to be repeated all over again for a fresh PC. It's something to bear in mind, though, when I get that round tuit!

David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Stanislav Stetsenko

I believe that the squelch needs further refinement. When receiving AСARS, with the squelch level set to 18-22 (or higher level), even with a strong signal, it works with a delay, does not have time to open and the signal is not decoded. Moreover, the signal of AСARS sounds unnatural, distorted.

Sorry to be late looking at this, been busy, essential website work.

  1. Please add a screenshot so I can see how the software is configured.
  2. If at all possible tell me the frequency and I’ll set up a receiver. What software do you use for decoding?
  3. It’s possible that the start of a transmission is lost, I know why.

When I have the screenshot I’ll advise further.