US bandplan

bwschober@...

I have put together a band plan and markers based on FCC frequency allocations and ARRL band plans.  My focus was on the Amateur, Marine, and Aviation bands.

Here are the sources I used:
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band%20Chart/Band%20Chart%20-%2011X17%20Color.pdf
http://www.arrl.org/band-plan
https://www.radioreference.com/
https://www.wikipedia.org/
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/
https://freedv.org/

I hope you find it useful

Bruce Schober (KO4PRE)

w3wtw@...

Thank you.  I'm new to SDR. How do I use these?

w3wtw@...

I'm not sure if a previous post has to be approved.?.

Thank, Bruce. How do I use these? I'm new to SDR Console.

Dominic Dambro

Excellent work, Bruce- thank you. Works perfectly.
I had actually begun doing the same thing, using info from among other places, this site;
https://www.hobbyprojects.com/radio_frequency_allocations_to_30_mhz.html

Your hard work will save me lots of time and crossed eyes! (You really should've consulted with me on the colors, though. Geez.)

Yours;

Mine;

Thanks,
Dominic

michel soldevila

Seems very useful, but how do I use this file in SDR Console ?
73, Michel (F1GOC)

bwschober@...

Dominic,

I tried to use a consistent color scheme based on the default plan that Simon included in the Beta, but found myself having inconsistencies and variations.  I tried to have colors for each use type, dark blue for broadcast, dark red for person to person, light green for marine, dark green for aviation.  I think your light blue was a better choice for marine.  Then I tried to have different colors for the different modes, CW, digital, voice, ...  Next I tried to make sure there was a noticeable change when one band plan transitioned to another.  I tried to avoid layering the band plans, but did it when I thought it was worthwhile, like showing the General class allowed ranges on  80, 40, and 20 Meter.  I just noticed that I missed 15M.  I also overlapped the ISM, WiFi and 13cm Ham bands.

I would be open to working with you and others to come up with a consistent color scheme and a more complete band and marker plan.

Bruce

bwschober@...

The band plan only works with V3.1 beta.  Some people have had problems accessing the .xml files.  I have also put them on Dropbox here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tcz24f88tenu5eh/AADjfk9uHdj-EhW8QjAo2BvAa?dl=0.

Once you have the file on your computer, in SDR Console click Band Plan in the View ribbon, click select, and navigate to the band plan file.  To load the markers, click View ,click down arrow under Markers, click … , XML Import.  Make sure the enable is clicked in the Marker configuration window.

Siegfried Jackstien

Am 13.02.2022 um 23:29 schrieb michel soldevila:

Seems very useful, but how do I use this file in SDR Console ?
73, Michel (F1GOC)

jdow

When bands overlap it would be nice to be able to create horizontal color bands with the primary class on top working down to ISM uses on the bottom. (Warning - snob snarky  statement) Any ham who needs the color bands just flunked his license re-exam except the FCC never does this.

{^_-}

On 20220213 14:12:04, bwschober@... wrote:
[...]

do not forget the warc bands (if you have overseen 15m i thought i point you to the not so common bands also)

i do like that you worked on the bandplan .. when near finished simon may add it to his sources and in one of the next revisions we all have it

just send it to him

the same with added markers or a station list (example wwv, commercials, time transmitters that never change)

the icing on the cake would be if you hover with the mouse over a station (added as marker) and then a popup with background info comes up ... like the details we could find in the WRTH book (transmittersites, frequencies, used power etc) .. but i guess thats overkill ;-)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 13.02.2022 um 23:12 schrieb bwschober@...:

[...]

Bruce, please don't think I was complaining about the color scheme- it's obvious you put a lot of hard work into this.  (Jokes sometimes don't come across very well online.) I don't claim to be very proficient with it all- so I'm not sure how much help I would be, I'm just excited you laid out a grand design that can now be tweaked and improved upon. I can't wait to see future revisions. Seriously- how long did it take you?

On Sun, Feb 13, 2022 at 6:18 PM Siegfried Jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks all.
After installing 3.1 beta, it works fine.
Very fine job indeed, Bruce !
If you agree, I will try to complete your band plan with the SW marine bands.
73, Michel (F1GOC)

michel soldevila

Hi,
I don't understand the reason why some definitions included in the xml file provided by Bruce are not displayed ... Marine SW bands for example. This is the reason why I proposed to complete the file with those definitions !
Some other definitions are truncated ; for exampe "LONG WAVE Broadcast" (line 19 of the xml file) appears as "LONG WAVE".
Who as an explanation ?
73, Michel (F1GOC)

michel soldevila

Looking closely at the file, I saw that there were overlaps: the marine LW band is defined from 145 to 526.5 kHz and the AM broadcast band from 148.5 to 283.5 kHz. But in ITU region 1 (France belongs to region 1), the LW marine band spreads from 110 to 148.5 kHz, because the LW band is ised for broascasting.
So the definitions have to be adapted to region 1. I'll try to do that.

bwschober@...

Michel,

Thank you for the offer.  My intent was to have the band plan be for the US/ITU region 2.  The band plan provided with the beta appears to be ITU region 2.

The overlapping band plans are problematic.  I tried to avoid them as much as possible.  Having more than one horizontal band plan would be nice.

w3wtw@...

In the Editor I've unchecked or deleted the ones that are unimportant to me as some caused overlaps.

How do I save these changes? When I started SDRC today they all returned. Do I have to edit the xml file or is there a way to export what the changes I made then use that xml?

73

michel soldevila

Same for me.
I could'nt save changes made with the editor. This is why I modified the xml file according to my needs : no détails in the ham bands, more details outside BC and ham bands.
73
Michel

bwschober@...

I did View, Band Plan, editor, selected entry to delete, click delete, click close.  I exited from SDR Console and restarted it.  When I went to Band Plan, the deleted entry was gone.

I am running version 3.1 build 2496

Bruce

w3wtw@...

I figured it out.

When I downloaded the band-plan files, I saved to C:\Program Files\SDR-Radio.com (V3).   That directory did not have read/write access. The changes were never being saved.

I created a SDR Console folder under "My Documents" (which has full read/write access) and MOVED "SDR-Bandplan_USA_000" to that new folder.  I re-started SDRC and re-selected that band-plan file from it's new location. I then made all the changes I wanted and they were immediately saved to the file I moved to that location. I closed/reopened SDRC and all changes I made earlier were in place, or gone, or good, or how ever you want to say it :-)

D M

Thank you so much for doing this. Something I have been wishing for a long time after using sdr# and kiwi

deep