Topics

two versions together !

Zacharias Liangas

Hello

I have a question . Can I install  two different instances of SDRC in different directories ? I use the version  3.0.14 and im interested to test the last version while not deleting or updating the older.

Thanks!

Hello

I have a question . can I install  two different instances of SDRC in different directories ? I have to 3.0.14 and im interested to install the last version while not deleting or updating the older

Thanks!

Zacharias Liangas
AirspyHF+Discovery   with SDRConsole & 2x16 m antena
https://del.icio.us/gr_greek1/ZAK (all pages)

Bert Vierhout

aZachrias

I had luck, I had V3.0.23 and V3-0.25 on my pc runs together.

Bert

Op 3-10-2020 om 21:22 schreef Zacharias Liangas via groups.io:

Hello

I have a question . Can I install  two different instances of SDRC in different directories ? I use the version  3.0.14 and im interested to test the last version while not deleting or updating the older.

Thanks!

Hello

I have a question . can I install  two different instances of SDRC in different directories ? I have to 3.0.14 and im interested to install the last version while not deleting or updating the older

Thanks!

Zacharias Liangas
AirspyHF+Discovery   with SDRConsole & 2x16 m antena
https://del.icio.us/gr_greek1/ZAK (all pages)

jdow

Two different versions run at once might or might not produce the results you might expect. This comes from the use of DLLs. Normally speaking if a DLL is already in memory that version will be used. (This would very likely mess up your results with sdrsharp, I suspect.) For DLLs that use deferred loading AND if the full path name is used for loading the dll, one way or another, then different versions of the same dll can be present in memory and give you expected results.

The safest way to test two versions against each other is to load only one of them at a time.

{^_^}

On 20201003 12:22:15, Zacharias Liangas via groups.io wrote:

Hello

I have a question . Can I install  two different instances of SDRC in different directories ? I use the version  3.0.14 and im interested to test the last version while not deleting or updating the older.

Thanks!

Hello

I have a question . can I install  two different instances of SDRC in different directories ? I have to 3.0.14 and im interested to install the last version while not deleting or updating the older

Thanks!

Zacharias Liangas
AirspyHF+Discovery   with SDRConsole & 2x16 m antena
https://del.icio.us/gr_greek1/ZAK (all pages)

Bill Walch

You can run the two (or maybe more) instances of the SAME V.3.0.25 using two different SDR's as seen in the attached photo. However, one or more settings, such as current frequency will be duplicated in the second instance. Not sure why you'd want to run two different versions. Yes, you can install any version in it's own custom named directory, but as mentioned below, there may be shared DLL's, ect from the newest or older version that may or may not be compatible with the second version loaded.

On 10/3/2020 4:14 PM, jdow wrote:
[...]

G4SDG

One reason for running different versions on the same PC would be that in 3.0.25 transmit support for the Lime-Mini still seems to be broken so to use that SDR requires me to run earlier than 3.0.24 whereas for my Pluto and FCD I might want the additional features of 3.0.25.

Unfortunately I no longer have the install file for 3.0.23 which i was running on so I've had to roll back to 3.0.19. When 3.0.24 was the current version there was a warning on the download page about lack of Lime transmit functionality but this doesn't seem to be the case on the current 3.0.25 download page or I missed it.

Chris G4SDG

Simon Brown

Chris,

Please post this problem in the forums, I’ll fix it for 3.0.26. also let me know which was the last good version, that’ll help.

One reason for running different versions on the same PC would be that in 3.0.25 transmit support for the Lime-Mini still seems to be broken so to use that SDR requires me to run earlier than 3.0.24 whereas for my Pluto and FCD I might want the additional features of 3.0.25.

Unfortunately I no longer have the install file for 3.0.23 which i was running on so I've had to roll back to 3.0.19. When 3.0.24 was the current version there was a warning on the download page about lack of Lime transmit functionality but this doesn't seem to be the case on the current 3.0.25 download page or I missed it.

Chris G4SDG

Zacharias Liangas

Edited

New additions:

 Now testing two important things for analysis required for my ‘work’

A. even with the step operation once clicking at a freq in the spectrum analyzer its shown the exact frequency at hertz levels without to get rounded as previously . I need to lost sometime to get it rounded (bug? )

b. the signal readouts in the S meter  do not correspond as previously with the signal of the analyzer’s levels There are variations of more than10-15 db Fortunately I have made a new instance (#3)that totally separates between the others and providing the proper signal indications!

Just one video posted in youtube that shows both problems with snap activated at 1kHz

https://youtu.be/H4sD2G5h450

the SDR is an Airspy HF+D

Now my experience with the new version :

The 3.0.25 has been installed in a new folder retaining the older 3.0.17 in its folder. THe installation was very simple and faster than before and in the end most parameters were transferred by itself to the new version

Now the mysterious :  v3.025 works as second identity removing the older settings . 3.017 is still on the #1 identity

I had seen only a few differences  in the layout and buttons additions between thee older and he newer version . In the first there was clipping on the audio now there are some minimal audio time outs or bad but minimum audio clusters.

Second  funny : 3.0.17 instance and 3.025 instances use the same layout frequency and spectrum parameters
Once some buttons are added in the 3025 they are removed back to the 3017

The spectrum analyzer seems to be slower than the older version! This effected also the older version. I think that both programs share the same database.

My most interesting is the video capture that worked too funny .

1.Alotugh i expected a window shot as it worked for the screenshot , videograb is only a screen grabbing instead of window grabbing. that means if momentarily another window is layered in front of Console appears in the video grabbing
2. there is an out-framed grabbing by less than 10 pixels
3. if by chance the window is dragged by the mouse the video is stopped.

In general I like the two mouse options - circled or transparent-    levels of compression and levels of frames
I preferred to  use 20 frames instead of 40  with 20% compression

I already used this feature to send a v-log to a radio station who immediately responded me !

jdow

SDRC has no means of storing data to a per installation folder. So ALL settings information is shared between ALL versions. "Live with it." (Solving the issues with multiple installs is uniquely annoying. Everything shared is one easy solution. SDRSharp's technique is another one. Each has their good aspects and bad aspects. Creating a full solution may lead to putting one so far off writing code that the author is next seen driving a taxi in Podunk. (We had a construction worker working on runnig gas lines in our house who has his MSCE certs and decided construction work outside was more personally rewarding. This MAY have been "Stupid Users" BAH! I don't know.)

{o.o}

On 20201015 10:30:28, Zacharias Liangas via groups.io wrote:

Now my experience with the new version :

The 3.0.25 has been installed in a new fodler retainging the older 3.0.17 in its folder. TH insallaion was very simple and in the end all parameters were transferred by itself to the new version

Now the mysterious : while the older version still remains in its folder the identity #2  new works under 3.025.

I had seen nly a few differences  between thee older and he newer version . In the first there was clipping on the audio now there are some minimal audio time outs or bad but minimum clusters of audio

Secind  funny : If I use the 3.0.17 instance and then start to 3.025 it will be in the same frequency! This made the video recording button been removed from the quick access on 3.0.25

The spectrum analyzer seems to be slower than the older version! This effected also the older version. I think that both programs share the same database.

My most interesting is the video capture that worked too funny .

1.As with the screenshot I expected to see  just grabbing from the window isolating the ‘external’  toolbox The funniest of all was screengrabbing instead of windowgrabing that is. if by error another program  is instantly showed  in front of SDRC window it is also recorded!

2. the screen grab is not very accurate showing also a few pixels outside the frame!

3. if by chance the window is dragged by the mouse the video is stopped.

In general I like that ther is a pointer circle, mouse on off grabing,   levels of compression and levels of frames from 20 to 40 I now use the 20 frames 20% compression that is quiote good

I already used it to send a v-log to a radio station who immediately responded me !

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

"Stupid Users"

Been MCSE and CCNA prior to retirement via a stroke. The acronym PICNIC was often in my notes.

Problem In Customer, Not In Computer.

Simon, feel free to use, maybe substitute Code for Computer 😊

You’re welcome

Tom G6PZZ

[...]

Tom,

I’ve been busy this week. The closest you’ll come to your goal mis to install in two separate folders and use two different identities.

Been MCSE and CCNA prior to retirement via a stroke. The acronym PICNIC was often in my notes.

Problem In Customer, Not In Computer.

Simon, feel free to use, maybe substitute Code for Computer 😊

You’re welcome

Tom G6PZZ

Zacharias Liangas

Edited

Yes the best he can do to make a new backwards instance as identity after the installation ortehwise the data will be shared in both versions!

I don't know if is possible to fix the screen grabbing into window grabbing
There is also  an inconsistency of signal  analysis by 15 db less in the 3025 version Just se this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0fiX_x5jNs
The markers show lower db level than the S meter !!

jdow

He can make them completely independent by putting the version in the names in the Registry and AppData so they are "SDR-RADIO.com (V3.25)" instead of "SDR-RADIO.com (V3)". Then on install search for earlier versions as far back as makes some sense and copy in all the data as starter for the new version. But once that is done settings changes in one will have no affect on the other. And your registry and appdata folders will get cluttered.

{^_^}