TV Decoders ? #sdrplay

Rich

Hope I can get an answer  ...  Does anyone have software that can decode Over the air TV signals using SDRPLAY ?    Seems like there is software out there to decode almost any mode of signal in the HF Band.
I don't mean Slow Scan  ..> TV        Also   is there a company that makes  a program to analyze  and ID what a signal is ?   Some of  the signals  I know are encrypted ...   but if you don't know what you are listening to ...   it might as well be encrypted

Max

Hi Rich

What kind of TV? Analogue (is there any left?) or DTV? Country/countries? Frequencies?

Max

eyilmaz

Really?

RTL-SDR.com has nice explanations and software listing also for beginners (who may not have Google to use).

On 11/24/21 3:03 PM, Rich wrote:
Hope I can get an answer  ...  Does anyone have software that can decode Over the air TV signals using SDRPLAY ?    Seems like there is software out there to decode almost any mode of signal in the HF Band.
I don't mean Slow Scan  ..> TV        Also   is there a company that makes  a program to analyze  and ID what a signal is ?   Some of  the signals  I know are encrypted ...   but if you don't know what you are listening to ...   it might as well be encrypted
_._,_._,_

Mag loop Simon

Hi

That’s not helpful.everyone has to start from somewhere..

George Smythe

Over-The-Air TV is using one of a family of standards collectively called ATSC [ https://bit.ly/3l8B0XH ].  In Europe over the air there is a different standard called DVB-T [ https://bit.ly/3cL1U3h ] or (more recently DBV-T2).  Cable in the US (at least) uses QAM [ https://bit.ly/3CUg4tr ] which is routinely encrypted, but a subset called Clear-QAM that is not encrypted does exist.  Current FCC (USA agency) rules permit encrypting everything on the cable, and companies are moving to do that (sigh).

George, KB2GSM

On 11/24/21 3:03 PM, Rich wrote:
Hope I can get an answer  ...  Does anyone have software that can decode Over the air TV signals using SDRPLAY ?    Seems like there is software out there to decode almost any mode of signal in the HF Band.
I don't mean Slow Scan  ..> TV        Also   is there a company that makes  a program to analyze  and ID what a signal is ?   Some of  the signals  I know are encrypted ...   but if you don't know what you are listening to ...   it might as well be encrypted

Dale Elshoff WB8CJW

I have been searching and watching for quite a while myself to make use of my SDRplay RSPdx for receiving analog (AM) NTSC TV.  I tried using an older version of SDR# as noted from a Google search that still supports using ExtIO.dll along with the TV plugin from Russia (Basil Vasili) but I get a runtime error saying the plugin is newer than the SDR# program.  Then on later SDR# the ExtIO is no longer supported to get comm with the RSPdx receiver.  I wish someone would make a fix for this.  The SDRplay folks apparently don't want to provide support other than making an ExtIO_SDRplay_RSPdx.dll available and I haven't seen much of any plugin development for SDRuno.

Why support for analog TV?  This mode is superior to digital TV for long distances.  Enhanced propagation modes allow us to work several hundred miles on 70cm.  We use commercial SAW filters with a 10-position switch to reduce the receive bandwidth to 352 kHz for video exchange only (we don't care about audio or color subcarriers - this is strictly bw video only using large black call letters to improve readability).  Hams in Europe also filter their transmitted signal to reduce the bandwidth for dx and contesting.

I don't know of an automatic signal identification program.  There are web sites that provide numerous sample recordings of various modes.  For example http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/Modes/ provides what it looks like on a waterfall, spectrum and the sound.

73, Dale WB8CJW

On 11/24/2021 9:03 AM, Rich wrote:
Hope I can get an answer  ...  Does anyone have software that can decode Over the air TV signals using SDRPLAY ?    Seems like there is software out there to decode almost any mode of signal in the HF Band.
I don't mean Slow Scan  ..> TV        Also   is there a company that makes  a program to analyze  and ID what a signal is ?   Some of  the signals  I know are encrypted ...   but if you don't know what you are listening to ...   it might as well be encrypted

Siegfried Jackstien

you can use datc in narrowband ... transmitted with a pluto and received with a minituoner

125 kc bw or even 63 kc is possible ... with a lot of forward error coding also usable for dx

and also used on qo100

dg9bfc sigi

Am 25.11.2021 um 01:43 schrieb Dale Elshoff WB8CJW:

[...]

typo..datv

Am 25.11.2021 um 02:16 schrieb Siegfried Jackstien:

[...]

caeroslp

Hello Guys,

There are some programs to receive DATV-Signals:

For DVB-S/S2 using DVB-S-GUI from Amsat-DL.
Also SDR-Angel works for sending and receiving DVB-S/S2 Signals. In my opinion its a littlebit difficult to make this work.

Sending DVB-T/T2 and DVB-S/S2 works with SDR-Pluto/Lime SDR and DATV-Express.

Transmitting Analog Video works also with SDR-Angel.

Hope this answer will help you a little bit.

73 de Dominik DL1DJH