Tuning error and PC freeze

Frank

Edited

HI All

I had already written some time ago on Simon's forum without any response. I also try here.

v3 weird tune and freeze PC:
I use SDRPLAY RSP2 v3 api on I7 9900k with C:2TB SSD (+3xHD) and 32GBram, CPU used 5/20% depending on the open RX and activity.

I have these problems:

1. when I open some receivers from the memories favourites, then I delete them by closing them and I open a single one, it is no longer possible to tune the frequency correctly with the mouse.
It no longer works on the scroll frequency and not on the WF click, it moves but I don't hear anything:
it happens to me that I tune the frequency on the frequency meter but as I click on the WF, the tuning shifts to another frequency.
If I click on the WF on the left it stays on the set band, if I do it on the right it moves the band returning to a completely different frequency (sometimes around that of the previous memories deleted or strangely on 10MHz or other)...

Horizontally half WF left works, if click to WF right this shifts band completely, completely different band...

I have to reboot to have full management again.

UPDATE:
Is it really a problem with SDRCONSOLE + SDRplay or some problem between SDRconsole and my PC ... maybe ...
I7 + SSD + 32GB + NVIDIA GTX650 + SDRplay RSP2
I'm sorry not to be able to use SDRconsole which I find really super optimal.

All the other soft for SDRplay work perfectly!

I reinstalled everything from scratch also deleting all configurations left in regedit and in the various dir ident_ ..

Unfortunately SDRconsole 3.1, after a bit of normal use it goes to CRASH freezing my computer. This only with SDRconsole.
I have to reset the PC to be able to restart.
I also tried to replace the PC with another one and a new configuration of WIN10 and it has the same system lock problem.

I also left SDRplay RSP2 with SDRuno or HDsdr or... for >48 hours playing with memories and whatnot without the slightest problem and everything works correctly.

I don't think it depends on some wrong setup ... but I don't understand why this SDRconsole crash depends.

Any suggestions?

2. often now going to one or the other frequency or changing RX etc ... after some time the PC completely FREEZES, so much so that I have to restart the computer

73

Allan Isaacs

Hi Franco

Look in Windows Logs and see what the PC records as the problem.

Allan G3PIY

If you have to reboot then I wonder about the video driver. Do you have a video board, if so what and are the latest drivers installed?

[...]

Also,

Show a screenshot of the software in action.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 07:13 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

If you have to reboot then I wonder about the video driver. Do you have a video board, if so what and are the latest drivers installed?

HI,
NVIDIA Gforce GTX 650.

I also have the video card active (Intel HD graphics 4600)  on board the MB which I use however but only for the fourth 50" TV/monitor where I use for Simon's World Map, but normally off without app...
SdrConsole is always on the GTX650 monitor with the latest updated drivers.

I tried to disable the GPU on SdrConsole, Perhaps, it seems, solving the PC freeze problem.

LAST NVIDIA DRIVERS:

The strange thing is the click with the mouse on the WF which on the left remains on the band, while on the right it goes to other frequencies, even if the line below is normally on the desired band, then moves to the click if left or right on the WF.

>> Also, Show a screenshot of the software in action.

It is difficult, when it freezes, I should photograph it because the prtsc is also blocked, or make a video with left and right click.

This of the click on the WF, it happens to me only if I first open some "favorites" in multi RX and after having closed and opened only one, there is no longer the correct control on the WF.

I don't know what I can go wrong.

I try to do a prtsc when it does the defect of the WF in a next msg.

73 thanks.

Frank

Edited

START > SDRplay RSP2
all OK!

I select favourites: whit 8x RX on the PMR band

Then I close with the key marked with the arrow CLOSE ALL and OPENN single RX on + ADD RECEIVER:

From this moment, if I select a frequency on the "frequency meter" and then click on the LEFT, it remains on the slice of the chosen WF qrg, if I click in other parts of the WF on the right, his retourn still 446MHz.
Often even the RX1 does not appear and is no longer selectable also with a click, even if I normally listen to the audio tuned to the frequency that has ended up.

I have to exit SDRconsole and restart it and everything goes back to normal until the next sequence explained above which presents the problem again.

  I don't know if I was able to explain ... I know my english is bad.

73,Thanks.

Frank

HI,
I just did a test by changing the sequence that creates this problem:

1. start SDRconsole
2. select 8rx favorites on 446 and open all 8x RX
3. change frequenzy to 145
4. click on WF to move a single RX
5. delete all 8x RX
6. open single RX
Now all ok ... no problem ...

it is a problem that I can always reproduce in the same way, if I delete the 8rx on the 446 and reopen one rx below at a later time.
As if the add receiver does not reset something, or I mistake something else.

Frank,

You have a very powerful CPU (i7-9900K) but the GTX650 is not powerful enough, so even if this is not the problem you should get a faster GPU!

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 07:13 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

If you have to reboot then I wonder about the video driver. Do you have a video board, if so what and are the latest drivers installed?

HI,
NVIDIA Gforce GTX 650.

I also have the video card active (Intel HD graphics 4600)  on board the MB which I use however but only for the fourth 50" TV/monitor where I use for Simon's World Map, but normally off without app...

SdrConsole is always on the GTX650 monitor with the latest updated drivers.

I tried to disable the GPU on SdrConsole, Perhaps, it seems, solving the PC freeze problem.

LAST NVIDIA DRIVERS:

The strange thing is the click with the mouse on the WF which on the left remains on the band, while on the right it goes to other frequencies, even if the line below is normally on the desired band, then moves to the click if left or right on the WF.

>> Also, Show a screenshot of the software in action.

It is difficult, when it freezes, I should photograph it because the prtsc is also blocked, or make a video with left and right click.

This of the click on the WF, it happens to me only if I first open some "favorites" in multi RX and after having closed and opened only one, there is no longer the correct control on the WF.

I don't know what I can go wrong.

I try to do a prtsc when it does the defect of the WF in a next msg.

73 thanks.

Frank,

You have not added a receiver in the image below!

I select favourites: whit 8x RX on the PMR band

Then I close with the key marked with the arrow CLOSE ALL and OPENN single RX on + ADD RECEIVER:

From this moment, if I select a frequency on the "frequency meter" and then click on the LEFT, it remains on the slice of the chosen WF qrg, if I click in other parts of the WF on the right, his retourn still 446MHz.

Often even the RX1 does not appear and is no longer selectable also with a click, even if I normally listen to the audio tuned to the frequency that has ended up.

I have to exit SDRconsole and restart it and everything goes back to normal until the next sequence explained above which presents the problem again.

  I don't know if I was able to explain ... I know my english is bad.

73,Thanks.

Max

Frank

As Simon said, no receiver is active in your last shot, but maybe you mean you then go on to add a receiver after that by pressing Add Receiver?

Also as an experiment, have you tried disabling or uninstalling the onboard HD graphics in Windows Device Manager? I have PC with onboard HD3000 and also GTX1650Super. I disable HD3000 totally. Never had a problem with SDRC crashing the PC and mine is lower spec than yours. Could be a graphics driver conflict?

I would at least disable (or even uninstall) the HD4000 as a test.

Max

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 04:17 PM, Frank wrote:
I also have the video card active (Intel HD graphics 4600)  on board the MB which I use however but only for the fourth 50" TV/monitor where I use for Simon's World Map, but normally off without app...
SdrConsole is always on the GTX650 monitor with the latest updated drivers.

Frank

Edited

Yes and thanks Simon,
I confirm that then I pressed on + ADD RECEIVER (1x) and it is from that moment that the described problems begin.
If I follow as explained below it works perfectly or doesn't work, always repeatable, it's not random, it always does.
If I don't do this, absolutely the click on the WF goes crazy, between its left and right, changing frequency / band.

It doesn't even depend on SDRplay.

In the image below I have done the same thing with a server connection on remote SDR (an AIRspy) and it does the same problem:

IT DOESN'T WORK if:
1. open SDR
2. choice favorites 8x RX (but also other 8x multiRX manual with "+")
  ==> To be precise, the same problem described also happens without using the favorites, if I open for example the 8xRX and follow as explained
3. open all RX
4. delete / close ALL RX
5. open ADD RECEIVER (1x)
6. change FREQ with mouse scroll on freq display
7. change and then click on exemple 145mhz
8. the RX1 bar does not always appear when I click
9. the problems begin to CLICK to the left or right of the WF as in the two captures by clicking in different parts, it changes from 144 to 446 and as you can see the RX1 bar does not appear where I click.
=> I have to restart SDRCONSOLE

IT WORKS PERFECTLY if:
1. start SDRconsole
2. select 8rx favorites on 446 and open all 8x RX
3. change frequenzy to 145
4. click on WF to move a single RX
5. delete / close all 8x RX
6. open single RX1
Now all ok ... no problem ...

In practice, if I change frequency and clicking on WF before closing all rx it works, if I don't change freq and close all RX, the problems start making the SDRconsole session unusable.

>>Thanks Max:
I would not want to uninstall the HD4600 drivers because I use it on monitor 4 and I have no problems with any other software including SDR even putting them in screen 1, 2, 3 or 4.
Only SDRconsole makes me this problem that I can't figure out how to solve.

For the other point of the PC freezing issue, I have now disabled OpenGL and CUDA as well, it looks like it doesn't freeze, but I have yet to check....
UPDATE:
... even without OpenGL and CUDA .... often with multiRX and playing with the commands, SDRconsole freezes and also the PC. I need to restart the computer.

1. PrtSC after ADD RECEIVER and change FREQ
As you can see from the position of the MOUSE the RX1 does not come out and depending on where I click, it changes frequency between 144 and 446.

Maybe it can serve that this happens ONLY with MULTIrx activated, if with the favorites it is only one frequency, it seems there are no problems.

I just do not understand where the problem may be, however even already reinstalled everything ...

Thanks support
73

Frank

Edited

NEW UPDATE:

HI Simon,
I just ran a quick check on another "virgin" PC.
ProBook 6560B / SSD / I5

1. installed new SdrConsole 3.1
2. installed an SDRrtl USB stick
3. start SDRconsole
4. everything works perfectly
5. I select 446MHz and open 8rx
6. I open the 8 RXs audios
7. I close all the Rx and +add single rx
8. I go to 144MHz and make a CLICK

same problem, the RX of the click does not appear and changes frequency to the click to the right or to the left of the WF going to 446 or 144.

Same problem even on a new PC ... with another SDR, at this point I think it's a possible SDRconsole problem?

Here too, if before closing the 8 RXs I move to 144 and click, then I close the RXs and open only one, everything works.

Exactly as explained in the previous message.

I don't understand where the same problem lies on the other PC as well.

Frank,

I’ll look at this soon, it’s now the weekend!

[...]

Does anyone else find this defect?

Simon, Could you verify?
I got another LAPTOP, the third PC, which only had win10 and Office and nothing else.
I installed zadig + SDRrtl + sdrconsole from new .... the same thing happens on this 3 PC too.

Maybe I'm definitely wrong with something or actually with this sequence, is there a problem?

Simon Brown

OK,

I’ve been working on some annoying / difficult coding which I’ve just finished, so can think about this.

If your PC freezes with a USB device then I suggest the USB device. Were the software to freeze up PCs then there would be more complaints. Do you have any other SDRs?

I got another LAPTOP, the third PC, which only had win10 and Office and nothing else.

I installed zadig + SDRrtl + sdrconsole from new .... the same thing happens on this 3 PC too.

Maybe I'm definitely wrong with something or actually with this sequence, is there a problem?

Frank

Edited

OK Simon
for freezing the PC I think it depends on another problem, independent of SRDconsole.
I was able to play it even without sdrconsole, so the problem is in the PC RAM or CPU temperature Overshoot.
For this freezing of the PC I think it depends on a faulty ram bar, on a single PC, while the problem of the click on the WF is on the 3 different PCs with 3 different sdrs.

TUNING PROBLEM:
I have to restart SDRconsole on the 3 PCs, same problem.
I mean the problem of the malfunction that I have to restart the SDRconsole that I explained the exact procedure below and that is reproduced on 3 PCs and with 3 different SDRs ... always.

> 1. installed new SdrConsole 3.1
> 2. installed an SDRrtl USB stick
> 3. start SDRconsole
> 4. everything works perfectly
> 5. I select 446MHz and open 8rx
> 6. I open the 8 RXs audios
> 7. I close all the Rx and +add single rx
> 8. I go to 144MHz and make a CLICK

This is the "biggest" problemon all 3x PC

This I can not solve the problem, which I always reproduce without difficulty, and identical on the 3 PCs.
Anyone have any help?
73

Tony_AD0VC

FWIW, the first time I tried this it failed just as described. But After a few more attempts it started working and I have not been able to make it fail again.

Tony

for freezing the PC I think it depends on another problem, independent of SRDconsole.
I was able to play it even without sdrconsole, so the problem is in the PC RAM or CPU temperature Overshoot.
For this freezing of the PC I think it depends on a faulty ram bar, on a single PC, while the problem of the click on the WF is on the 3 different PCs with 3 different sdrs.

TUNING PROBLEM:
I have to restart SDRconsole on the 3 PCs, same problem.
I mean the problem of the malfunction that I have to restart the SDRconsole that I explained the exact procedure below and that is reproduced on 3 PCs and with 3 different SDRs ... always.

> 1. installed new SdrConsole 3.1
> 2. installed an SDRrtl USB stick
> 3. start SDRconsole
> 4. everything works perfectly
> 5. I select 446MHz and open 8rx
> 6. I open the 8 RXs audios
> 7. I close all the Rx and +add single rx
> 8. I go to 144MHz and make a CLICK

This is the "biggest" problemon all 3x PC

This I can not solve the problem, which I always reproduce without difficulty, and identical on the 3 PCs.
Anyone have any help?

for freezing the PC I think it depends on another problem, independent of SRDconsole.
I was able to play it even without sdrconsole, so the problem is in the PC RAM or CPU temperature Overshoot.

For this freezing of the PC I think it depends on a faulty ram bar, on a single PC, while the problem of the click on the WF is on the 3 different PCs with 3 different sdrs.

TUNING PROBLEM:
I have to restart SDRconsole on the 3 PCs, same problem.
I mean the problem of the malfunction that I have to restart the SDRconsole that I explained the exact procedure below and that is reproduced on 3 PCs and with 3 different SDRs ... always.

> 1. installed new SdrConsole 3.1

> 2. installed an SDRrtl USB stick

> 3. start SDRconsole

> 4. everything works perfectly

> 5. I select 446MHz and open 8rx

> 6. I open the 8 RXs audios

> 7. I close all the Rx and +add single rx

> 8. I go to 144MHz and make a CLICK

This is the "biggest" problemon all 3x PC

This I can not solve the problem, which I always reproduce without difficulty, and identical on the 3 PCs.
Anyone have any help?

Gisle Vanem

I use Core Temp:
https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

A very good program.

Frank

HI Simon, thanks.
sry for my bad english...

For the problem of freezing, it does it only on the single main PC, when under stress ... or power supply or temperature or ram,
I confirm that the total "freezing" does it to me also with other software, without sdrconsole, when I load so many and put everything under "pressure" ram & cpu ... but only the main pc, and it is a problem PC...this is now certain, and I will fix the problem or change the PC ... since the problem is in the PC....hihihi
I will do a good cleaning of the main server which has been running for 5 years now ... 24/7 ... :-)

But this does not affect the problem on the WATERFALL and frequency, following exactly the sequence that it does to me on the 3 PCs with different 3 sdr and then 3 different configurations ... under win10... and even with "cold" computers.
The same problem has also been confirmed to me by two other users I know and who use sdrconsole, if they follow exactly that procedure described:

IT DOESN'T WORK if:
1. open SDR
2. choice favorites 8x RX (but also other 8x multiRX manual with "+")
  ==> To be precise, the same problem described also happens without using the favorites, if I open for example the 8xRX and follow as explained
3. open all RX
4. delete / close ALL RX
5. open ADD RECEIVER (1x)
6. change FREQ with mouse scroll on freq display (no click befor change frequency)
7. change to 144MHz and then click on exemple 145mhz
8. the RX1 bar does not always appear when I click
9. the problems begin to CLICK to the left or right of the WF, in the various areas of the wf,  by clicking in different wf area, it changes from 144 to 446 and as you can see the RX1 bar does not appear where I click.
=> I have to restart SDRCONSOLE only

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 03:54 PM, Tony_AD0VC wrote:
FWIW, the first time I tried this it failed just as described. But After a few more attempts it started working and I have not been able to make it fail again.

HI Tony, thank you for the confirmation
If you follow the described procedure exactly, you will have the flaw. If, on the other hand, you immediately click without changing the frequency, it does not happen ... follow the points described exactly ... in several we have this problem.

In fact it happens to me because I have memorized the PMR frequencies at 446 that every now and then I listen locally, and when I want to change the one described happens.

With my 3 PCs, yours, and two of my acquaintances, they make 6 PCs "I know" with totally different configurations and SDRs, all with the same problem ...
A possible solution described works, but if you don't, you have to restart SDRconsole.

73
Frank