Terminology Question

rmrrgs

Hello,

In the sw listening world, is NFM considered a "digital mode"  ?

Bob

Larry Dodd

Narrow band FM, NFM is a form of analog modulation.
Larry K4LED

On Jun 10, 2021, at 1:42 PM, rmrrgs <rgsrose@...> wrote:

Hello,

In the sw listening world, is NFM considered a "digital mode"  ?

Bob

Alan G4ZFQ

In the sw listening world, is NFM considered a "digital mode" ?
Bob,

It is a means of modulation.
It may be modulated by any mode. Unusual to be modulated by a digital mode but not unknown.
And also unusual to be used on SW.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Zacharias Liangas

NFM is not unusual in shortwaves.irs mostly used by hams in amateur bands

Alan G4ZFQ

In the sw listening world, is NFM considered a "digital mode" ?
Bob,

It is a means of modulation.
It may be modulated by any mode. Unusual to be modulated by a digital mode but not unknown.
And also unusual to be used on SW.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Alan G4ZFQ

NFM is not unusual in shortwaves.irs mostly used by hams in amateur bands
I guess it depends on what you call shortwaves.
It is sometimes used on 10m but more often on VHF and above (depending on what you call VHF:-)

73 Alan G4ZFQ

jdow

Um, maybe 10 meters would have NFM. Below that atmospheric conditions may make it an unpleasant mode to use. There was a group of us who talked somewhat technical and some other "stuff" built around Art "W6OBB" Bell late night after his show. (He refused to discuss his show - or I'd have been gone. {^_-}) Art had some good and some harebrained notions about antennas. It was entertaining. This happened on 3840 kHz late night West coast. Anyway one night we switched from LSB to AM then NFM to see how they performed relatively. NFM performance was quite miserable due to multipath effects. So I'd be surprised if NFM was used on HF much by hams except perhaps on 10 meters where there are a few (seldom used?) repeaters.

{^_^}