Spectral Subtraction

Simon Brown

Understanding spectral subtraction and its use in noise reduction for SDR Console. Not yet as good as SDR# but a step in the right direction!

https://www.g4eli.com/blog/spectral-subtraction

Simon Brown

https://www.g4eli.com

Conrad, PA5Y

Simon thank you for your work.

I find the burbling sounds associated with Spectral subtraction most off putting. I believe it is called ‘musical noise’ and is more obtrusive with speech than music.

This is interesting.

https://www.vocal.com/noise-reduction/musical-noise/

It offers suggestions as to how it may be reduced which do work. Probably Simon has already incorporated these techniques.

I have been working commercially on this very subject exclusively with AM radio for the last 4 months with great success, unfortunately I cannot share what we have done.

SDR# suffers from the same affliction, at least based on the recordings that I could find online. If anyone has any good examples of spectral subtraction with SDR# please post them.

Watch the video below at 08:24, this is about the best in amateur radio I’ve heard, the artefacts are there but acceptable for our purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR5t4Hei9FA

73

Conrad PA5Y

Understanding spectral subtraction and its use in noise reduction for SDR Console. Not yet as good as SDR# but a step in the right direction!

https://www.g4eli.com/blog/spectral-subtraction

Simon Brown

https://www.g4eli.com

Conrad,

This is being worked on, I’m now at a stage where I can move forward with Luciano Dato’s work.

Understanding spectral subtraction and its use in noise reduction for SDR Console. Not yet as good as SDR# but a step in the right direction!

https://www.g4eli.com/blog/spectral-subtraction

Simon Brown

https://www.g4eli.com

Conrad, PA5Y

I am quite sure that you will do a good job!

Conrad

This is being worked on, I’m now at a stage where I can move forward with Luciano Dato’s work.

Understanding spectral subtraction and its use in noise reduction for SDR Console. Not yet as good as SDR# but a step in the right direction!

https://www.g4eli.com/blog/spectral-subtraction

Simon Brown

https://www.g4eli.com

i am sure you can make it perfect ...

if that slight hiss that is left is also filtered away then there is no need to use squelch anymore ;-)

good job

dg9bfc sigi

ps tnx fer restoring the max values up

Am 13.05.2022 um 11:30 schrieb Simon Brown:

Conrad,

This is being worked on, I’m now at a stage where I can move forward with Luciano Dato’s work.

Understanding spectral subtraction and its use in noise reduction for SDR Console. Not yet as good as SDR# but a step in the right direction!

https://www.g4eli.com/blog/spectral-subtraction

Simon Brown

https://www.g4eli.com

Indeed, that paper you referenced is my next reading material.

I am quite sure that you will do a good job!

Conrad

This is being worked on, I’m now at a stage where I can move forward with Luciano Dato’s work.

Understanding spectral subtraction and its use in noise reduction for SDR Console. Not yet as good as SDR# but a step in the right direction!

https://www.g4eli.com/blog/spectral-subtraction

Simon Brown

https://www.g4eli.com

Max

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 10:25 AM, Conrad, PA5Y wrote:

Watch the video below at 08:24, this is about the best in amateur radio I’ve heard, the artefacts are there but acceptable for our purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR5t4Hei9FA

Conrad, that is one of the best ever NRs I've ever heard. No detectable "burbling" on the voice, just noise reduction. Very nice. Hope Simon can emulate this and will be fantastic.

73

Max

martinbradford2001

Edited

What is the hardware requirement, Simon? Is this processing the two channels of a device like the RSPDuo?

Regarding the artefacts, yes they can be annoying, but this level of noise reduction would only usually be used on signals at the limit of readability. Failing to get a new DXCC in the logbook is even more annoying than a bit of burbling and a confirmed log entry!

--
Martin
G8FXC

No special hardware, it runs in the demodulation chain.

Simon Brown

https://www.g4eli.com

https://www.sdr-radio.com

What is the hardware requirement, Simon? Is this processing the two channels of a device like the RSPDuo?

Regarding the artefacts, yes they can be annoying, but this level of noise reduction would only usually be used on signals at the limit of readability. Failing to get a new DXCC in the logbook is even more annoying than a bit of burbling and a confirmed log entry!

--
Martin
G8FXC

and does a really well job .. grin :-)