Software installation #rtl

gabriele somma

Hi Simon, yesterday I helped a friend to install the software on windows 10 pro, the installation is successful but when I open the software from this error, I am attaching a video. What do you recommend me to do? Thanks

Simon Brown

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of gabriele somma via groups.io <gabrielesomma@...>
Sent: 04 July 2022 08:46
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io>
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Software installation #rtl

Hi Simon, yesterday I helped a friend to install the software on windows 10 pro, the installation is successful but when I open the software from this error, I am attaching a video. What do you recommend me to do? Thanks

Gisle Vanem

On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 09:46 AM, gabriele somma wrote:

What do you recommend me to do? Thanks

The installer and the redistributable stuff have bug issues:

  • these MFC140u.dll and VCOMP140.dll files are not always copied to a directory on PATH.

  • One sometimes has to do it manually.

  • Not to speak about the uninstall.exe program that deleted much more than what was installed.

(If you have problems after reading this let me know.)

  1. Very probably the DLLs you need have been removed by another install / uninstall.
  2. Uninstalling SDR Console never​ removes C++ redistributable files.
  3. Uninstalling SDR Console only removes files in the SDR-Radio.com (V3) folder.
  4. Never ever copy system DLLs. System DLLs live in the system folders.
To reinstall, select C++ 2019 Redistributable from the SDR-Radio.com (V3) Tools entry in the Start Menu:

Uninstall, then Install. This ensures the redistributable is correctly installed. The latest can be downloaded here: https://aka.ms/vs/17/release/vc_redist.x64.exe .

If you copy files into the PATH then you will always have problems, never do this.

On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 09:46 AM, gabriele somma wrote:

What do you recommend me to do? Thanks

The installer and the redistributable stuff have bug issues:

  • these MFC140u.dll and VCOMP140.dll files are not always copied to a directory on PATH.

  • One sometimes has to do it manually.

  • Not to speak about the uninstall.exe program that deleted much more than what was installed.

gabriele somma

Simon thanks for your clarification, I solved thanks.

Gisle Vanem

On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 12:27 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

  1. Uninstalling SDR Console only removes files in the SDR-Radio.com (V3) folder.

Try this:
* Install version 3.x under c:\foo.
* Install version 3.y under c:\foo\bar.
* Run the c:\foo\uninstall.exe.
* Result; it removes everything under c:\foo\bar too!

Simon Brown

Yes it will, that's the way it's designed. Don't install in that nested tree structure. Give each installation its own root.

Simon Brown

On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 08:56 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

Yes it will, that's the way it's designed.

Pretty lame. Other professional installers / uninstaller use a manifest of what's installed. And only uninstall that.

Simon Brown

True, but this is crappy freeware.

On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 08:56 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

Yes it will, that's the way it's designed.

Pretty lame. Other professional installers / uninstaller use a manifest of what's installed. And only uninstall that.

That is not even effective as all the registry and appdata settings will be shared.

{o.o}

On 20220704 11:56:14, Simon Brown wrote:
Yes it will, that's the way it's designed. Don't install in that nested tree structure. Give each installation its own root.

Simon Brown

On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 12:27 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

  1. Uninstalling SDR Console only removes files in the SDR-Radio.com (V3) folder.

Try this:
* Install version 3.x under c:\foo.
* Install version 3.y under c:\foo\bar.
* Run the c:\foo\uninstall.exe.
* Result; it removes everything under c:\foo\bar too!

Bat pucky.

{o.o}

On 20220704 12:27:43, Gisle Vanem wrote:

On Mon, Jul 4, 2022 at 08:56 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

Yes it will, that's the way it's designed.

Pretty lame. Other professional installers / uninstaller use a manifest of what's installed. And only uninstall that.

Gord Seifert

   Lame?   What seems lame to me is installing one version under another. If all versions were installed in seperate directories on the same level under foo (foo\3.x, foo\3.y, ect.) your problem would not exist and the hard drive would still not look like a mess.

jdow

SDRC is not designed to support side-by-side installations. A proper such design would not use the same registry and %apdata% folders for storing settings, thus making them truly independent of each other. SDRSharp does this if that is what you want.

With this in mind a settings snapshot feature that archives all settings before the user gets into "experimental" mode might be a good thing.

{^_^}