ShuttleXpress and SDR Console

David J Taylor

Has anyone programmed a ShuttleXpress for SDR Console?

https://contour-design.co.uk/products/multimedia-controller/shuttlexpress/

Bought one from Lynch (stupidly not checking the Amazon price first!) but can't yet get it to work with SDR#, hence the enquiry about SDR Console. Its basic functions appear to be OK.

Thanks,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Colin Phillips

Hi David,

I've recently got the ShuttleXpress and so far only got frequency control working with SDR Console.
Setting the Shuttle Wheel to generate the keyboard left, right, up, down arrow keys.
This gives really good frequency control.

I was hoping to use it rather than a Midi controller, but it needs the application to use keyboard short cuts.
So far I haven't been able to find a list of the shortcuts used by SDR Console.

Not sure if this helps.

73,  Colin G8NBO

David J Taylor

I've recently got the ShuttleXpress and so far only got frequency control working with SDR Console.
Setting the Shuttle Wheel to generate the keyboard left, right, up, down arrow keys.
This gives really good frequency control.

I was hoping to use it rather than a Midi controller, but it needs the application to use keyboard short cuts.
So far I haven't been able to find a list of the shortcuts used by SDR Console.

Not sure if this helps.

73, Colin G8NBO
====================================

Thanks, Colin.

Good to know that even a simple addition can help. I was hoping that someone had settings which could be imported into the ShuttleXpress control panel or, like SDR#, a plug-in which could provide greater control. Your settings would be a good starting point from which I could perhaps learn more, if you're willing to make then available.

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Colin Phillips

David,

This is my settings for SDR Console so far, could probably be improved.

I am aiming to have a single control for common functions to use across various apps like DX Commander, WSJT-X etc.
I've only played with SDR Console so far.
Not sure how far I will get.

73 Colin

David J Taylor

David,

This is my settings for SDR Console so far, could probably be improved.

I am aiming to have a single control for common functions to use across various apps like DX Commander, WSJT-X etc.
I've only played with SDR Console so far.
Not sure how far I will get.

73 Colin
================================

Thanks, Colin. It's a start and something for me to play with. Saved.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Greg_2e1gw

Did either of you get this working properly in the end?
I have the controller mentioned, just hadn't got round to trying it out a yet.
Cheers
Greg
2E1GW

kb3cs

installed the driver, plugged the device in (ShuttleXpress), waited a long time for Windows to indicate it was ready to use the device, noted the device is detected in the Contour Control Panel .. and ...  nothing in SDR Console (having imported the .prefs file posted here).

what am i doing wrong?

 - 30 -

David J Taylor

From: kb3cs

installed the driver, plugged the device in (ShuttleXpress), waited a long time for Windows to indicate it was ready to use the device, noted the device is detected in the Contour Control Panel .. and ... nothing in SDR Console (having imported the .prefs file posted here).

what am i doing wrong?
====================================

I found that on first use of the ShuttleXpress with another SDR program, the device wasn't detected until after a reboot of the PC (which meant waiting for the next Windows update in this particular case!). However, functions in other programs worked immediately.

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

kb3cs

<facepalm> oh, yeah, Windows.  :-P

after some rebooting excitement in the form of BSOD reported to be caused by portcls.sys (PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA) .. cured by a proper power down and restart without the 'magic' saved kernel state ..  works.

rudimentary, but works. i've updated the shuttle config so the shuttle ring is a coarse tune and the jog is a fine tune.

 - 0x49 -

Colin Phillips

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 02:50 PM, kb3cs wrote:
<facepalm> oh, yeah, Windows.  :-P

after some rebooting excitement in the form of BSOD reported to be caused by portcls.sys (PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA) .. cured by a proper power down and restart without the 'magic' saved kernel state ..  works.

rudimentary, but works. i've updated the shuttle config so the shuttle ring is a coarse tune and the jog is a fine tune.

 - 0x49 -

I'm still using the Shuttlexpress.
It's good but probable not as useful as I would have liked.
I've attached the .pref and info files for the way I have it configured now.
It's a bit different from my original config, basically using the jog and shuttle wheels to emulate the mouse wheel.
Buttons set to: Left Click, Esc, Direct Frequency entry window, Unmute & Mute
I'm sure there are better configs you can come up with.

I have a Midi controller as well, the beringer CMP PL-1.
This is better for frequency control, but I prefer the Shuttle.
Much smaller on the desk. I find it easier to use and it works with other programs.

73
Colin G8NBO

Ron

Hi Colin,

Very interested to find that you have a Behringer PL-1.

I also have one, and plenty of space for it. I would like to set it up for a number of things in the shack but, having never played with midi before, need a good starting point.

Do you have any mappings/files that you would be willing to share please? I have a Win 10 / Mint 19.2 system just waiting to be fully occupied with radio,

Hopefully eternally grateful,

Ron, G6BMY

On 02/06/2020 11:52, Colin Phillips wrote:
[...]

Hi Ron,

Haven't used the PL-1 for about 6 months so needed to check it was still set up OK.
I've attached my midi defs file from SDR Console.
Just basically frequency on the main wheel and volume on the slider.
Don't think I got much further.
You are welcombe to use it.
Not sure what other programs can use a midi controller.

73
Colin G8NBO

Jochen Schaeuble

Hi altogether,

I know this thread is quite old, but I just released a small tool for that translates events from the Contour ShuttlExpress to MIDI events that can be used together with SDR Console. It uses the free loopMidi driver from Tobias Erichsen (https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html)
This tool is written in Go (https://go.dev) as I needed a use case to learn this language ;).

The original driver from Contour is not required.

You can find the tool here: https://github.com/dg1psi/shuttlemidi
I would love to hear your feedback.

73,
Jochen, DG1PSI

dj4pk@...

Hi Jochen,

tried your tool for the ShuttlXPress: Works like charm! Thanks for programming it.
Compiled out of the box.
PS: My only struggle left is, to understand how to program the 'auto-returning-wheel-knob' correctly ;) But thats another topic.

Vy 73,

Sebastian

DJ4PK

Jochen Schaeuble

Hi Sebastian,

here is how I've set it up. The "Tune Up" messages are inverted as a workaround. The other way around SDRConsole will not recognize it correctly (see bug report: link)

vy 73 de Jochen, DG1PSI