Topics

SDRuno Broke SDR Console

I installed the latest version for SDRuno (1.4) and now SDR Console will not work with my RDSPdx. I think the change the API which could be the problem.

Tom Stiles

Mike Bott

On 5/20/20 6:25 PM, hamrad45 wrote:
I installed the latest version for SDRuno (1.4) and now SDR Console will not work with my RDSPdx. I think the change the API which could be the problem.

Tom Stiles
As the good people at SDRplay warned. "SDRplay has today released SDRuno V1.4 as a “Release Candidate” which means it is more than a beta version.  We are aware there may still be bugs  to fix, plus there is a “catch-up” period when other third party software will need to adapt to our latest API.  When you go to https://www.sdrplay.com/downloads/ and select SDRuno, you will get a choice between the already existing stable Version 1.33 and this new Version 1.4 Release Candidate 1.

When you install version 1.4 it will install version 3.07 of the API, and this may have consequences if for example you also have other software installed on your PC (e.g.  SDR Console)  which is currently designed to work with version 3.06 or older.

If you only use SDRuno SDR software you should have no problems upgrading to Version 1.4 Release Candidate 1.

Version 1.4 Release Candidate brings you access to some pre-installed plugins for DAB radio decode and a new audio recorder which supports recording both WAV and MP3 formats."

shayne109@...

I installed this 1.4rc with the 3.07api and console refused to work if you tried yed to reload the v3 api it gave me not found errors however if you tell it to search for v2 it works fine?! Odd in my case as I have never had a v2 api on my system.

David J Taylor

From: hamrad45

I installed the latest version for SDRuno (1.4) and now SDR Console will not work with my RDSPdx. I think the change the API which could be the problem.

Tom Stiles
==================================

It reminds me of what I observe in the Linux mentality compared to Windows:

- Linux, break the API, it doesn't matter as everyone will recompile from the github.

- Windows, you can still run [most] 20-year old software - backwards compatibility matters.

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Simon Brown

That's it,

With Linux all is fine if you know what you're doing and are prepared to grab source, compile, pull out hair due to library mismatches etc. My aim with Windows is to deliver a package which you just install and use.

I installed the latest version for SDRuno (1.4) and now SDR Console will not work with my RDSPdx. I think the change the API which could be the problem.

Tom Stiles
==================================

It reminds me of what I observe in the Linux mentality compared to Windows:

- Linux, break the API, it doesn't matter as everyone will recompile from the github.

- Windows, you can still run [most] 20-year old software - backwards compatibility matters.

I'm fighting this in another area at the moment - in spite of running the latest Raspian OS and updates (Buster includes <product> version 3.17) the developer simply says download and recompile as <product> is now 3.20.
However, <product> 3.20 doesn't work with Buster! What a mess!

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

David J Taylor

That's it,

With Linux all is fine if you know what you're doing and are prepared to grab source, compile, pull out hair due to library mismatches etc. My aim with Windows is to deliver a package which you just install and use.

... and it's what most users want, too. To be fair, many Linux programs are install and use, the apt-get and equivalent commands work well. But at times, sadly, it really is pull out hair times!

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Dr.Alexander Hahn

I didn't install SDRUno, as I don't like the program at all, perferring SDR-Console :-)
But I use the SDRPlay API/HW driver for 3rd party software, as I want to run the RSP-Spectrum analyzer.
With this setup SDR-Console runs wihout any problems.

MadMike

The announcement from SDRPlay about the new version 1.4 of SDRuno clearly stated that it was a Release Candidate which would not work with 3rd party programs until they had been updated to take account of new API etc.

Mike

I haven’t had time to play with 3.0.7 API yet, as far as I know you can use 3.0.7 if you update a DLL in the SDR Console folder. I’ll document this today.

The announcement from SDRPlay about the new version 1.4 of SDRuno clearly stated that it was a Release Candidate which would not work with 3rd party programs until they had been updated to take account of new API etc.

Mike

jdow

On 20200521 06:34:52, David J Taylor via groups.io wrote:
That's it,
With Linux all is fine if you know what you're doing and are prepared to grab source, compile, pull out hair due to library mismatches etc. My aim with Windows is to deliver a package which you just install and use.
... and it's what most users want, too.  To be fair, many Linux programs are install and use, the apt-get and equivalent commands work well.  But at times, sadly, it really is pull out hair times!
73,
David GM8ARV
And X11 and the KDE/Gnome/XFCE/yatta interface is just plain clunky or worse. Even the old Amiga was nicer.

{o.o}

Simon Brown

Hah,

I remember running X11 for the first time on a VAXstation 3100. It was a total revelation, I quickly wrote some VAX/VMS system management software which sold well, today you get the same software free but that was the early 1990's.

On 20200521 06:34:52, David J Taylor via groups.io wrote:
That's it,

With Linux all is fine if you know what you're doing and are prepared
to grab source, compile, pull out hair due to library mismatches etc.
My aim with Windows is to deliver a package which you just install and use.

... and it's what most users want, too. To be fair, many Linux
programs are install and use, the apt-get and equivalent commands work
well. But at times, sadly, it really is pull out hair times!

73,
David GM8ARV
And X11 and the KDE/Gnome/XFCE/yatta interface is just plain clunky or worse.
Even the old Amiga was nicer.

{o.o}

Where can I find these instructions?

Tom Stiles