From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Cianciolo
Sent: 09 November 2019 04:33
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] SDRplay and an external High pass filter

I made a video showing the use of a 7 pole Chebychev high pass filter to eliminate AM broadcast band overload.
I show the filter being used on an SDRplay2
W1VLF

Don Moman VE6JY

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 11:18 PM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

URL please?

I made a video showing the use of a 7 pole Chebychev high pass filter to eliminate AM broadcast band overload.
I show the filter being used on an SDRplay2
W1VLF

Simon Brown

Thanks.

Shame you can’t compare another radio using the same antenna - Airspy HF+, ELAD, NetSDR etc. With your massive antenna there’s one heck of a signal being delivered to the SDR, you could probably power a small light bulb with the power you’re receiving.

I made a video showing the use of a 7 pole Chebychev high pass filter to eliminate AM broadcast band overload.
I show the filter being used on an SDRplay2
W1VLF

Siegfried Jackstien

if he is close to a mw station ... then yes ... a neon tube (maybe with some wire added) will light up in his garden then

energy harvesting ... grin

dg9bfc sigi

ps lucky i have not even a cellphone tower here .. not to speak about a sw or mw station

Am 09.11.2019 um 08:16 schrieb Simon Brown:

Thanks.

Shame you can’t compare another radio using the same antenna - Airspy HF+, ELAD, NetSDR etc. With your massive antenna there’s one heck of a signal being delivered to the SDR, you could probably power a small light bulb with the power you’re receiving.

I made a video showing the use of a 7 pole Chebychev high pass filter to eliminate AM broadcast band overload.
I show the filter being used on an SDRplay2
W1VLF

Kriss Kliegle

How is the attenuation up the band?
Here's an image of the Airspy Discovery with QRM from WXEX (1540AM), 1800Watts daytime a few miles away, heard on 3.080Mhz this AM on my 124' EFW at +100' AGL:

Here's it on the same antenna on an SDRPlay 2A:

Images are also attached for more detail to be seen...

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Guy Atkins

Hi Paul,

I didn't realize you were on the SDR-Radio groups.io forum too! I remember well the excellent custom filters you made for my SDR-1000/HPSDR project a number of years ago. These filters really improved the MW DX performance of the SDR-1000... I was very pleased with the results. I don't know if I showed these pictures to you back when I completed the SDR "repackaging", but you can see the photos here: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/114798392023680237679/album/AF1QipNGYhrdJtnZoRGjETudLjg5Tv3xU_p67xlPuGHM

73, Guy Atkins
KE7MAV
Puyallup, WA

Robert Lorenzini

My Alfa race car uses oil pressure to advance the sprocket on the intake cam.
Well it did before I took it off.

dod

On 11/9/2019 3:33 PM, Guy Atkins wrote:
Hi Paul,

I didn't realize you were on the SDR-Radio groups.io forum too! I remember well the excellent custom filters you made for my SDR-1000/HPSDR project a number of years ago. These filters really improved the MW DX performance of the SDR-1000... I was very pleased with the results. I don't know if I showed these pictures to you back when I completed the SDR "repackaging", but you can see the photos here: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/114798392023680237679/album/AF1QipNGYhrdJtnZoRGjETudLjg5Tv3xU_p67xlPuGHM

73, Guy Atkins
KE7MAV
Puyallup, WA

Robert Lorenzini

Sorry, misspost.

dod

On 11/9/2019 3:50 PM, Robert Lorenzini wrote:
My Alfa race car uses oil pressure to advance the sprocket on the intake cam.
Well it did before I took it off.

dod

On 11/9/2019 3:33 PM, Guy Atkins wrote:
Hi Paul,

I didn't realize you were on the SDR-Radio groups.io forum too! I remember well the excellent custom filters you made for my SDR-1000/HPSDR project a number of years ago. These filters really improved the MW DX performance of the SDR-1000... I was very pleased with the results. I don't know if I showed these pictures to you back when I completed the SDR "repackaging", but you can see the photos here: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/114798392023680237679/album/AF1QipNGYhrdJtnZoRGjETudLjg5Tv3xU_p67xlPuGHM

73, Guy Atkins
KE7MAV
Puyallup, WA

Bill Walch

A real quick radio story. I grew up in Cincinnati Ohio up until the late 70's. When I was in high school in '68, I had an opportunity to visit the WLW (50 KW on 700 MHz, using a Blaw/Knox monopole stick) and VOA transmitting site during late fall. The day was very humid. At that time, the chief engineer (my friends uncle) gave us the golden tour, including VOA's setup. For a 17 year old, I was awe struck at the massive facility. Near one of the VOA transmitters, hung a florescent light against the finals cage, which was dimly lit. The CE told me that it's their quick and dirty way to visually see what the SWR was doing. By the end of the visit, it started raining heavily, and hear a very loud arc crash from another room (VOA transmitter room ?). Needless to say, after adjusting my nickers, the CE said that was normal on humid days. By the way, this same CE, who had the appearance of an very senior and crusty locomotive engineer said he was interning (really working for free, just to be around this "shack") back in the 30's, when WLW ran a half million watts, and could be heard anywhere from the US east coast, Canada, to the mid US (Mississippi river) during the day (at least that's the rumor). He relayed stories that some of the local farmers who had (amalgam?) fillings could actually hear or sense WLW playing in their mouth, but he always thought is was a radio (fish) story. I can just imaging the 500KW ground currents floating around.

https://www.fybush.com/Tower%20Site/020109/wlwtower.jpg

On 11/9/2019 5:14 AM, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:

if he is close to a mw station ... then yes ... a neon tube (maybe with some wire added) will light up in his garden then

energy harvesting ... grin

dg9bfc sigi

ps lucky i have not even a cellphone tower here .. not to speak about a sw or mw station

Am 09.11.2019 um 08:16 schrieb Simon Brown:

Thanks.

Shame you can’t compare another radio using the same antenna - Airspy HF+, ELAD, NetSDR etc. With your massive antenna there’s one heck of a signal being delivered to the SDR, you could probably power a small light bulb with the power you’re receiving.

I made a video showing the use of a 7 pole Chebychev high pass filter to eliminate AM broadcast band overload.
I show the filter being used on an SDRplay2
W1VLF

Paul Cianciolo

Hello Guy,

Good to hear from you .. Wow.. That is a really nice configuration you built in the chassis, I am sure that took some time to build.

I do occasionally build filters for people but not like I used to.

I am currently employed at the ARRL in the lab and I mostly work on RFI problems that Hams call in with.. and let me say .. there are plenty of noise maker out there.

My next video is going to address the advantages of having a remote active antenna when listening for signals below 500 KHz.

Its sort of an RFI based video, as we do use a lot of common mode chokes in RFI abatement.

BTW if its not imposing do you know any other sites where I could refer my videos?

Yes there not polished and fancy and there not, well because that’s me. As you can see I am neither LOL

But I do want to get videos out of things that people can either build, experiment or test themselves.

Just stuff I have been doing over the years.

So there is a limited audience for this kind of thing.  But anything you can do to help get the videos out there I would appreciate.

Also I thought you had a different call??  Did that change.

BTW  SDR here at the shack are

QS1R  2 of these

SDRPlay2

AirSpy HF+ 2 of these

AirSpy R2

SPYverter

And the one that started it all… one of those early cheesy SDR $10 dongles which I hope is lost in the junk box somewhere.

Good to hear from you Guy

Back to you OM

PaulC
W1VLF