SDRConsole @ 128 Msps & 888 MK2

Pietro Bossi

Hello List,

I just installed the new SDRC version 3.2, working with the SDR 888mk2.
I can confirm that it's just working fine at 128 Msps, so it's possible to receive up to & more than 50 MHz band. Actually I can receive IZ1EPM/B at 50.419 MHz flawlessy !

Btw, if I select bandwith more than 1 MHz @128Msps, the reception is not as good as expected and very jerky, unusable.

I have the same behavior using an HP Z4 (Intel Xeon W-2104 4core @ 3.20 GHz / 8GB DDR4 / Nvidia Quadro P600) and also with a new HP ZBook (Intel core-i7-9850H 6 core @ 2.60 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 / Nvidia Quadro P2000).

So I wonder if and how is possible to go beyond 1 MHz bandwith @ 128Msps ? What's the specs for a machine ?

Many thanks to Simon for his great software !

Regards, Pietro @ hb9rxc 

Simon Brown

Hi,

First show me a screenshot - I expect CPU load is very high and we need to offload the FFT to a better GPU.

The screenshot will show me the CPU and GPU load in general.

I would have thought that the i7-9850H system would work at 8 MHz bandwidth.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Pietro Bossi via groups.io <pietro.bossi@...>
Sent: 30 August 2022 16:43
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io>
Subject: [SDR-Radio] SDRConsole @ 128 Msps & 888 MK2

Hello List,

I just installed the new SDRC version 3.2, working with the SDR 888mk2.
I can confirm that it's just working fine at 128 Msps, so it's possible to receive up to & more than 50 MHz band. Actually I can receive IZ1EPM/B at 50.419 MHz flawlessy !

Btw, if I select bandwith more than 1 MHz @128Msps, the reception is not as good as expected and very jerky, unusable.

I have the same behavior using an HP Z4 (Intel Xeon W-2104 4core @ 3.20 GHz / 8GB DDR4 / Nvidia Quadro P600) and also with a new HP ZBook (Intel core-i7-9850H 6 core @ 2.60 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 / Nvidia Quadro P2000).

So I wonder if and how is possible to go beyond 1 MHz bandwith @ 128Msps ? What's the specs for a machine ?

Many thanks to Simon for his great software !

Regards, Pietro @ hb9rxc 

--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Pietro Bossi

Hi Simon,
attached some more info and screenshot ...

BR, Pietro

Pietro Bossi

Simon,

FYI I try with HDSDR with same configuration @ 128Msps and usefull bandwith is 8 - 16 MHz without any glitch ...

KR, Pietro @ hb9rxc

Dirk

Edited

Today tested SDR Console 3.2 2711 with my RX-888 MKII @ 64 Msps on 80m and could listen to some QSOs (LSB voice) without problems.
Tested my Airspy HF+ Discovery with same antenna on 80m: no chance to hear any of the above QSOs.
 Only 1st impressions, will test further ...

Simon Brown

When you show me a screenshot as an attachment I'll be able to help you.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Pietro Bossi via groups.io <pietro.bossi@...>
Sent: 31 August 2022 17:22
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] SDRConsole @ 128 Msps & 888 MK2

Simon,

FYI I try with HDSDR with same configuration @ 128Msps and usefull bandwith is 8 - 16 MHz without any glitch ...

KR, Pietro @ hb9rxc

--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Simon Brown

Post two screenshots as attachments, something must be wrong with the HF+ settings.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Dirk via groups.io <dottensm@...>
Sent: 31 August 2022 17:41

Today tested SDR Console 3.2 2711 with my RX-888 MKII on 80m and could listen to some QSOs (LSB voice) without problems.
Tested my Airspy HF+ Discovery with same antenna on 80m: no chance to hear any of the above QSOs.
 Only 1st impressions, will test further ...

--
- + - + -

eelpout

Edited

similar results for me, can go higher with bandwidth @128 Mbps ADC on HDSDR. It doesn't seem to be slamming CPU or GPU under HDSDR, maybe 7% CPU and 5% GPU when at 16 MHz bandwidth (which is about the highest I can get without audible breakups).

Anything above 1 MHz results in stuttering with SDR Console. 

HP Spectre x360 (i7 1065G7)

Simon Brown

🙁

No screenshot, how do I know what settings you have?

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of eelpout via groups.io <pete@...>
Sent: 31 August 2022 21:21

similar results for me, can go higher with bandwidth @128 Mbps ADC on HDSDR. It doesn't seem to be slamming CPU or GPU under HDSDR, maybe 7% CPU and 5% GPU when at 16 Mbps bandwidth (which is about the highest I can get without audible breakups).

--
- + - + -

Dirk

Post two screenshots as attachments, something must be wrong with the HF+ settings.

Simon, just busy. I'll try to test again with screenshots at the weekend.
Thank you!

Dirk

Just managed to make some screenshots in addition to #67928.
The 2 pictures show reception of the 80m band with an (intentionally) weak antenna (telescopic 1,2m).
The RX-888 MKII is able to receive a QSO (LSB voice), the Airspy HF+ Discovery cannot receive this QSO.
Do I miss a setting of the HF+?

Simon Brown

Something's clearly wrong with the HF+.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Dirk via groups.io <dottensm@...>
Sent: 01 September 2022 18:03

Just managed to make some screenshots in addition to #67928.
The 2 pictures show reception of the 80m band with an (intentionally) weak antenna (telescopic 1,2m).
The RX-888 MKII is able to receive a QSO (LSB voice), the Airspy HF+ Discovery cannot receive this QSO.
Do I miss a setting of the HF+?

--
- + - + -

Simon Brown

Please​ add screenshots! If you just complain but don't add a screenshot then you are wasting my time 🙁 .

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of eelpout via groups.io <pete@...>
Sent: 31 August 2022 21:21

[Edited Message Follows]

similar results for me, can go higher with bandwidth @128 Mbps ADC on HDSDR. It doesn't seem to be slamming CPU or GPU under HDSDR, maybe 7% CPU and 5% GPU when at 16 MHz bandwidth (which is about the highest I can get without audible breakups).

--
- + - + -

Dirk

Edited

Perhaps I didn't find the HF+ gain slider?
But: I also tried with SDR# and HF+ with same result.

(I'm not complaining! I love your program.)

Simon Brown

HF+ is busted.

In SDR Console click Auto above the contrast slider. If you don't see signals then it's toast.

Sent: 02 September 2022 11:55

Perhaps I didn't find the HF+ gain slider?
But: I also tried with SDR# and HF+ with same result.

--
- + - + -

Pietro Bossi

Simon,

sorry, maybe I'm wrong ... did you see all my attachements (screenshot) on this thread , about 128msps problems ?? Please see   #67921 (Aug 31).
If you need some more or specific one, please just let me know !

BR, Pietro @ hb9rxc

Simon Brown

Yes,

I saw yours. I was replying to someone else.

Sent: 02 September 2022 15:21

Simon,

sorry, maybe I'm wrong ... did you see all my attachements (screenshot) on this thread , about 128msps problems ?? Please see   #67921 (Aug 31).
If you need some more or specific one, please just let me know !

BR, Pietro @ hb9rxc

--
- + - + -

Dirk

HF+ is busted.

In SDR Console click Auto above the contrast slider. If you don't see signals then it's toast.
No, the HF+ is ok.
My screenshots show, that I can scale the signals in SDRC. The HF+ shows a noise level at about -136 dBm, no signals above noise.
So for me it looked like the RX-888 MKII is more sensitive at 80m than the HF+.
Today I tested again with an endfed long wire: the HF+ now receives signals at 80m, the RX-888 MKII does the same, but with better SNR (gain not maxed)
So: same result.
In the moment I take this result as it is,- and: having nothing to do with SDRC.

Simon Brown

Hi,

On 80m there should not be a difference in SNR. Please post two screenshots again so we can compare.

Sent: 02 September 2022 17:44

HF+ is busted.

No, the HF+ is ok.
My screenshots show, that I can scale the signals in SDRC. The HF+ shows a noise level at about -136 dBm, no signals above noise.
Today I tested again with an endfed long wire: the HF+ now receives signals at 80m, the RX-888 MKII does the same, but with better SNR (gain not maxed)
In the moment I take this result as it is,- and: having nothing to do with SDRC.

--
- + - + -

jdow

PEBCAP?

There is no slider. The AirSpy Discovery gain comes in steps. On the home ribbon display look for "AGC". Set it to off. Then the ATT display sets the "gain". Note that the AirSpy HF+ is meant to be used with its AGC active rather than manual settings. So you will get imperfect performance.

Now, if you set AGC to Low or High you should see the best performance the AirSpy can give. BUT, it is not designed to give accurate signal strength readings if that is your gig.

{O.O}

On 20220902 09:44:41, Dirk wrote:

HF+ is busted.

No, the HF+ is ok.