SDRC Scanner

N8CVW

Hello All

I've always wished for a scanner function in SDRC, and now I've just stumbled across one, sort of ...

Configuring my FT817 to scan the 144-148 band, and attached to SDRC as EXT-RADIO, lo and behold SDRC is scanning !

I'm guessing I am not the first to discover this lash-up, but it does scan. But pausing for an active frequency is manual for now. I suppose the FT817 could be connected to an antenna splitter, but that's not as good as if SDRC could do the pause, although SDRC can break squelch.

Has anyone heard if SCAN might be on the drawing board ? And just imagine the scan steps that might be possible !

I'm all ears if anyone has invented a niftier scan with SDRC (??)

Paul
N8CVW

Jim Smith G0OFE

Actually....

I think all it would need is a relatively small program that will tune SDRC via a virtual serial port - to do a scanning function.

This program could either scan between 2 freqs, using a specified step rate, or scan a series of memories.

If only I could code... maybe someone out there has the brains and skills to do it?

================================
Need help with SDR Console? If you have a problem:
Go to https://www.sdr-radio.com/support
Please follow instructions in that link.
===================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

On 06/09/2022 18:07, N8CVW wrote:

Hello All

I've always wished for a scanner function in SDRC, and now I've just stumbled across one, sort of ...

Configuring my FT817 to scan the 144-148 band, and attached to SDRC as EXT-RADIO, lo and behold SDRC is scanning !

I'm guessing I am not the first to discover this lash-up, but it does scan. But pausing for an active frequency is manual for now. I suppose the FT817 could be connected to an antenna splitter, but that's not as good as if SDRC could do the pause, although SDRC can break squelch.

Has anyone heard if SCAN might be on the drawing board ? And just imagine the scan steps that might be possible !

I'm all ears if anyone has invented a niftier scan with SDRC (??)

Paul
N8CVW

N8CVW

and actually, it's WAYYY Cooler than step sizes, unless you consider a 64 MHz step size not cool enough !🤓

take the RX888Mk2 : 64 MHz instantaneous bandwidth (0-64MHz) or 8MHz BW (VHF/UHF), now that's a STEP SIZE

(reminds me of Crocodile Dundee ... "that's not a knife")

SDRC already has peak signal detection, it knows the frequency, it knows the peak values

it seems like a small leap (a small Simon leap that is) to use these to tune the radio, store them in a list for review, record them in a narrower bandwidth for playback, etc, etc

we're talking serious SIGINT here !

Waldemar

Sign me up as another person interested in a scan function! I’m most interested in capturing a list of active frequencies within a range myself, but any of the above options which don’t require acquisition of an FT817 would be great.

cheers,
waldemar
KI7VYJ

George Stein - NJ3H

Being able to scan specific channels is also a nice to have capability. Like the old police scanners. Being able to delay resume scanning allows time a a response on the same frequency.

SDRC does so much for the listener. It is just flat out a great program and one that is used every day.

Regards,
George

On Tue, Sep 6, 2022 at 4:44 PM, Waldemar
<wjkowalski@...> wrote:

Sign me up as another person interested in a scan function! I’m most interested in capturing a list of active frequencies within a range myself, but any of the above options which don’t require acquisition of an FT817 would be great.

cheers,
waldemar
KI7VYJ

jdow

Probably SDRC will make a dreadful scanner mostly due to the limitations of the front ends if you must scan 10s of MHz. If 8 MHz or less SDRC is magical compared to a scanner once you know what set of channels are worth monitoring. Open a receiver for each of the frequencies, setup the squelch, and you are no longer scanning, you are actively monitoring all the channels at once.

{^_^}

On 20220906 16:51:54, George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io wrote:

Being able to scan specific channels is also a nice to have capability. Like the old police scanners. Being able to delay resume scanning allows time a a response on the same frequency.

SDRC does so much for the listener. It is just flat out a great program and one that is used every day.

Regards,
George

On Tue, Sep 6, 2022 at 4:44 PM, Waldemar

Sign me up as another person interested in a scan function! I’m most interested in capturing a list of active frequencies within a range myself, but any of the above options which don’t require acquisition of an FT817 would be great.

cheers,
waldemar
KI7VYJ

George Stein - NJ3H

Interesting points, Joanne. A question: if one has multiple receivers set up an say two of them become active at the same time, I presume you would hear both of them simultaneously. Is there a setting in SDRC to keep the other virtual receivers muted when one receiver has audio that breaks the squelch and then unmutes them when the audio stops?

George

On Tue, Sep 6, 2022 at 7:47 PM, jdow
<jdow@...> wrote:

[...]

Yup, nope, and I've often wondered how to do this as a priority thing or as a first in blanks other channels until it goes away basis. Both have something worthwhile to say for them. I wonder what Simon would come up along those lines. Heck, something else that might work is reduce audio according to the channel's ranking when another channel becomes active. You still hear both but one is now in the background. It's a good field to explore.

{^_^}

<jdow@...> wrote:

[...]

Joanne,

A few years ago Simon had said a goal was to  add a scanner the following year. The nerve of him not getting to it in lieu of his paying job and all the other goodies that he did add.

Of course, I have no idea what his priorities, interest, and enthusiasm is for adding scanning capabilities. Perhaps he will chime in and tell us.

We all owe Simon a huge THANK YOU.

George

<jdow@...> wrote:

[...]

Nicholas Shaxted

The multiple channels solution is the one I adopted and it works quite well with strong signals. It is even possible to use it for weak signals but the combined noise from multiple channels just became a nuisance.

I can’t listen to hf/VHF anymore due to high interference levels.

Just an idea, not original, but I played with it many years ago before technology allowed it to be easy.

With multiple channels active at the same time, it should be easy to route the audio progressively towards the left and right channels. That is for one channel active L/R channels are the same (mono), two channels small separation left and right, three channels small separation left and right and mid-channel.

Or,

You could have the audio reflecting the position of the channel on the screen. A sort of an audio diorama so that the left most channel is the left most audio and so on.

I found this was disconcerting to listen to so preferred the progressive separation approach above.

However for concentrated listening and tracking multiple conversations the latter approach of fixed positions per channel does work.

It is only software.....

Echoing 1950s American B-movie promos....

“SDR-Console – now with 3D sound. Sound that will thrill you. Sound that will astound you. Be amazed as sounds fill your room”.

Nick – g4ogi

<jdow@...> wrote:

[...]

Siegfried Jackstien

i do the same with only 2 or 3 receivers .. three left both right ... or two left right

using two for working split is an example ... have the dx signal on one speaker and "the zoo" (and your own monitor signal) on the other

having 5 or more is a thingy simon would have to solve in software but two or three is easy with what we already have

having virtually say 5 or more speakers in the room (split over the width between left and right) is a nice idea

that would need not just levels but also timing to be controlled but thats just software ;-)

if you then monitor 5 local repeaters (or 5 or more police channels or whatever) you brain soon will learn what virtual speaker is what channel

each one needs its own squelch setting or it may not work well

dg9bfc sigi

<jdow@...> wrote:

[...]

Sigi,

Provided you treat each radio channel as an object you can place the channels inside (or outside) a stereo pair quite easily using DSP functions so by deciding how to place each channel you can create sound screen to cater for however many channels.

5 is a good number as you can different far- , mid-, and centre quite easily, additional channels start to confuse the stereo image from a user’s perspective. Probably 7 channels is optimum.

Add additional phase you can create extra channels beyond the stereo pair.

Then you can also play about with pacing them forwards or backwards of the stereo sound plane.

But I confess to not having played about with surround sound systems where it might be easier.

You really need room for radios and computers and minimise sound systems.

All this time and effort involved I can imagine what Simon will say.....

Nick

<jdow@...> wrote:

[...]

i could live with only 5 :-) maybe 7 but not more ... my speakers stand do close for this

dg9bfc sigi