From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io <nj3h@...>
Sent: 08 July 2022 17:53
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io>
Subject: [SDR-Radio] SDRC and Airspy R2

Greetings,

When I use SDRC with my R2, the does not seem to be any radio specific adjustments on the home screen.  The HF+ discovery does have radio specific adjustments on the Home screen.

Listening to both, for example, I find the following example using SDRC

98.9 Mhz station
on Discovery S7 with no hiss
on R2 S5 with a lot of hiss

The R2 has a gain control in SDR#, but as mentioned above SDRC doesn't have any R2 specific controls.

Am I missing something here?

Please seen the screen capture as created by SDRC.

Regards,
George

George Stein - NJ3H

Thanks Simon.

Never could clear up the hiss on the R2.  The HF+ Discovery sure does a much better job than the R2, both on SDRC and SDR#.

I will say I am under impressed with the R2.

Regards,
George

George Stein - NJ3H

Further to my last message.  The station in question is 25 km away and running a mere 25 watts.

Using SDR Console:

With the Elad S2 and and the Airspy R2, the reception was very noisy.

With the Airspy HF+ Discovery and the RSPdx, the signal was full quieting. With the edge going to the HF+ Discovery.

This was not a scientific test, just a casual observation. The only thing I am surprised about was the Elad S2 performance.

I then used the native software for each device and had the same results.

Regards and YMMV,
George

George Stein - NJ3H

92 watts not 25.

On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 2:24 PM, George Stein -  NJ3H via groups.io
<nj3h@...> wrote:
Further to my last message.  The station in question is 25 km away and running a mere 25 watts.

Using SDR Console:

With the Elad S2 and and the Airspy R2, the reception was very noisy.

With the Airspy HF+ Discovery and the RSPdx, the signal was full quieting. With the edge going to the HF+ Discovery.

This was not a scientific test, just a casual observation. The only thing I am surprised about was the Elad S2 performance.

I then used the native software for each device and had the same results.

Regards and YMMV,
George

Add screenshots of the whole display, I need to see the settings.

Further to my last message.  The station in question is 25 km away and running a mere 25 watts.

Using SDR Console:

With the Elad S2 and and the Airspy R2, the reception was very noisy.

With the Airspy HF+ Discovery and the RSPdx, the signal was full quieting. With the edge going to the HF+ Discovery.

This was not a scientific test, just a casual observation. The only thing I am surprised about was the Elad S2 performance.

I then used the native software for each device and had the same results.

Regards and YMMV,
George

Sounds like you have not adjusted the respective front end gains correctly.

{o.o}

On 20220708 14:22:58, George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io wrote:

Further to my last message.  The station in question is 25 km away and running a mere 25 watts.

Using SDR Console:

With the Elad S2 and and the Airspy R2, the reception was very noisy.

With the Airspy HF+ Discovery and the RSPdx, the signal was full quieting. With the edge going to the HF+ Discovery.

This was not a scientific test, just a casual observation. The only thing I am surprised about was the Elad S2 performance.

I then used the native software for each device and had the same results.

Regards and YMMV,
George

jdow

Frequency?

{o.o}

<nj3h@...> wrote:
Further to my last message.  The station in question is 25 km away and running a mere 25 watts.

Using SDR Console:

With the Elad S2 and and the Airspy R2, the reception was very noisy.

With the Airspy HF+ Discovery and the RSPdx, the signal was full quieting. With the edge going to the HF+ Discovery.

This was not a scientific test, just a casual observation. The only thing I am surprised about was the Elad S2 performance.

I then used the native software for each device and had the same results.

Regards and YMMV,
George

George Stein - NJ3H

Simon and others,

I have attached 3 pictures all with Console running.

Elad S2,
Airspy R2
RSPdx

The RSPdx is the only on of these three that has a decent signal. Running uno is fine also.

It is the other two that are causing problems.  The native software yields the same lousy signals.  There is a lot of noise on these two receivers for the station in question. I have fiddles with the R2 slide controls in both Sharp and Console. The Elad appears not to have any RF gain capability.

The frequency I am using for this exercise is 98.9, 92 watts, 25 km away.  I am using the same antenna for all three radios.  The antenna is pictured in an attachment. Same feed line to all three radios. My HF+ Discovery works fine also.

As I said in a previous message, the Elad S2 is the one that really puzzles me.  I would have expected it to come out the best (based only on price, that is).

Anyway, please let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks for looking into this.

Regards,
George

<nj3h@...> wrote:
Further to my last message.  The station in question is 25 km away and running a mere 25 watts.

Using SDR Console:

With the Elad S2 and and the Airspy R2, the reception was very noisy.

With the Airspy HF+ Discovery and the RSPdx, the signal was full quieting. With the edge going to the HF+ Discovery.

This was not a scientific test, just a casual observation. The only thing I am surprised about was the Elad S2 performance.

I then used the native software for each device and had the same results.

Regards and YMMV,
George

Simon Brown

OK,

For RSPdx use the AGC. For S2 try LPF off. For Airspy increase the gain.

All these radios are different...

<nj3h@...> wrote:
Further to my last message.  The station in question is 25 km away and running a mere 25 watts.

Using SDR Console:

With the Elad S2 and and the Airspy R2, the reception was very noisy.

With the Airspy HF+ Discovery and the RSPdx, the signal was full quieting. With the edge going to the HF+ Discovery.

This was not a scientific test, just a casual observation. The only thing I am surprised about was the Elad S2 performance.

I then used the native software for each device and had the same results.

Regards and YMMV,
George

David J Taylor

On 08/07/2022 22:00, George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io wrote:
Thanks Simon.

Never could clear up the hiss on the R2.  The HF+ Discovery sure does a much
better job than the R2, both on SDRC and SDR#.

I will say I am under impressed with the R2.

Regards,
George
George,

You could try running the Airspy R2 at the 2.5 Msps rate. It /might/ be a SUB
issue.

David
GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

I find with the R2 I have (on Super Station #4) that I have to run the gain at 15 +/- 1 or 2 to keep a hiss free FM RXR. Any more than that, local high power FM stations will overwhelm the RXR and hisses, less than that... hiss.

The R2's gain is adjustable, "HOME" on the ribbon bar, then adjust gain. See attached screen shot of 99.5FM, right next to a powerhouse on 100.3FM.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Simon Brown

FWIW,

The ELAD S3 is the best Band II receiver I have. Am thinking about a preamp on the mast for those very weak stations - if I get close to receiving weak signals from across the pond (USA, Canada).

<nj3h@...> wrote:
Further to my last message.  The station in question is 25 km away and running a mere 25 watts.

Using SDR Console:

With the Elad S2 and and the Airspy R2, the reception was very noisy.

With the Airspy HF+ Discovery and the RSPdx, the signal was full quieting. With the edge going to the HF+ Discovery.

This was not a scientific test, just a casual observation. The only thing I am surprised about was the Elad S2 performance.

I then used the native software for each device and had the same results.

Regards and YMMV,
George

Conrad, PA5Y

Hello Simon, I have done a noise analysis and you WILL benefit from an LNA. I have a PGA103+ preceded by a band pass filter and it seems to work very well. However, I am still waiting for a bigger antenna. I ordered an OPTDES which never arrived. So, I will ask a few of the local Band II DXers for an alternative.

73

Conrad PA5Y

<nj3h@...> wrote:

Further to my last message.  The station in question is 25 km away and running a mere 25 watts.

Using SDR Console:

With the Elad S2 and and the Airspy R2, the reception was very noisy.

With the Airspy HF+ Discovery and the RSPdx, the signal was full quieting. With the edge going to the HF+ Discovery.

This was not a scientific test, just a casual observation. The only thing I am surprised about was the Elad S2 performance.

I then used the native software for each device and had the same results.

Regards and YMMV,
George

Conrad, PA5Y

BTW I put the BPF before the LNA to help protect it from 144MHz EME high power. I am not suggesting that a PGA103+ will saturate from normal Band II situations. However, it has a little bit too much gain, so a good filter and an attenuator does no harm. The S3 really is excellent. Just like you said 😊

<nj3h@...> wrote:

Further to my last message.  The station in question is 25 km away and running a mere 25 watts.

Using SDR Console:

With the Elad S2 and and the Airspy R2, the reception was very noisy.

With the Airspy HF+ Discovery and the RSPdx, the signal was full quieting. With the edge going to the HF+ Discovery.

This was not a scientific test, just a casual observation. The only thing I am surprised about was the Elad S2 performance.

I then used the native software for each device and had the same results.

Regards and YMMV,
George

What's the S3 noise figure on Band II ? I have maybe 2dB loss in the 25m RG6, so am wondering what the total NF is.

<nj3h@...> wrote:

Further to my last message.  The station in question is 25 km away and running a mere 25 watts.

Using SDR Console:

With the Elad S2 and and the Airspy R2, the reception was very noisy.

With the Airspy HF+ Discovery and the RSPdx, the signal was full quieting. With the edge going to the HF+ Discovery.

This was not a scientific test, just a casual observation. The only thing I am surprised about was the Elad S2 performance.

I then used the native software for each device and had the same results.

Regards and YMMV,
George

Conrad, PA5Y

According to the user manual with the preamp and noise reduction on the MDS at 91.1MHz is -138dBm in 500Hz, which equates to -165dBm/Hz. This is a 9dB noise figure and is probably 3-6dB worse because the NR makes things appear better than they are. If you add 2.5dB to that noise figure you can see that an LNA will be of great benefit.

I suggest that a system noise figure of around 2-3dB is optimum for Band II DXing.

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

On 20220709 03:46:01, David J Taylor via groups.io wrote:
On 08/07/2022 22:00, George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io wrote:
Thanks Simon.

Never could clear up the hiss on the R2.  The HF+ Discovery sure does a much
better job than the R2, both on SDRC and SDR#.

I will say I am under impressed with the R2.

Regards,
George

George,

You could try running the Airspy R2 at the 2.5 Msps rate.  It /might/ be a SUB
issue.

David
GM8ARV

And select the packing option. That reduces the load on USB by about 1/3.

For listening get the cable out of the picture by mounting it on the antenna.

At a guess that will buy you as much as 6 dB noise figure.

{^_^}

Hi,

<nj3h@...> wrote:

Further to my last message.  The station in question is 25 km away and running a mere 25 watts.

Using SDR Console:

With the Elad S2 and and the Airspy R2, the reception was very noisy.

With the Airspy HF+ Discovery and the RSPdx, the signal was full quieting. With the edge going to the HF+ Discovery.

This was not a scientific test, just a casual observation. The only thing I am surprised about was the Elad S2 performance.

I then used the native software for each device and had the same results.

Regards and YMMV,
George

Thanks,

I'll start saving and buy a masthead preamp (below). My income is way down now due to COVID and other cost of living issues. Not a great time to be relying on donations.

They have a bit of input filtering already, don't know if it's enough.