[SDR-Radio-TestTeam] SDRC Bitmap Display - short intro

Simon Brown

One thing,

I'll be 65 this year so who knows how long I'll be writing code. There are many things that could be written, I must concentrate on those which I really have a desire to write.

From: SDR-Radio-TestTeam@groups.io <SDR-Radio-TestTeam@groups.io> On Behalf Of Nils Schiffhauer
Sent: 02 January 2022 17:37
To: SDR-Radio-TestTeam@groups.io; main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio-TestTeam] SDRC Bitmap Display - short intro

Hi, all - thanks to Simon for another year having pushed the limits of SDRs and DXing forward and forward!
His "Bitmap Display" surprised me that I needed a moment to get a grip of it and its possible applications.
See the results on my website. With some screenshots, this entry is also meant to work as a quick starter:
https://dk8ok.org/2022/01/02/sdrc-new-bitmap-display-helps-to-raise-dx/

Happy New Year to all and 73: Nils, DK8OK

--
dk8ok.org

Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Nils Schiffhauer

… with 66 now, I can say there is no rite de passage …
But for being as young as 65, your decision sounds already wise. Follow it!
Thanks & 73: Nils, DK8OK

Am 02.01.22 um 18:44 schrieb Simon Brown

One thing,

I'll be 65 this year so who knows how long I'll be writing code. There are many things that could be written, I must concentrate on those which I really have a desire to write.

Hi, all - thanks to Simon for another year having pushed the limits of SDRs and DXing forward and forward!
His "Bitmap Display" surprised me that I needed a moment to get a grip of it and its possible applications.
See the results on my website. With some screenshots, this entry is also meant to work as a quick starter:
https://dk8ok.org/2022/01/02/sdrc-new-bitmap-display-helps-to-raise-dx/

Happy New Year to all and 73: Nils, DK8OK

--
dk8ok.org

Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Jerry Lofstead W3CDE

cONGRATS ON 65  I just turned 81 and am looking for 94 per the life tables 8-)

Jerry
W3CDE

On Sun, Jan 2, 2022 at 12:44 PM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:
One thing,

I'll be 65 this year so who knows how long I'll be writing code. There are many things that could be written, I must concentrate on those which I really have a desire to write.

Hi, all - thanks to Simon for another year having pushed the limits of SDRs and DXing forward and forward!
His "Bitmap Display" surprised me that I needed a moment to get a grip of it and its possible applications.
See the results on my website. With some screenshots, this entry is also meant to work as a quick starter:
https://dk8ok.org/2022/01/02/sdrc-new-bitmap-display-helps-to-raise-dx/

Happy New Year to all and 73: Nils, DK8OK

--
dk8ok.org

Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Simon Brown

Ah,

But I’m hoping to be on top of my game until I’m 70 – very few guys writing serious code at that age. Long term I’ll be happy to bat along until I’m 75, then retire to Spain (maybe sooner).

Hi, all - thanks to Simon for another year having pushed the limits of SDRs and DXing forward and forward!
His "Bitmap Display" surprised me that I needed a moment to get a grip of it and its possible applications.
See the results on my website. With some screenshots, this entry is also meant to work as a quick starter:
https://dk8ok.org/2022/01/02/sdrc-new-bitmap-display-helps-to-raise-dx/

Happy New Year to all and 73: Nils, DK8OK

--
dk8ok.org

Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Curtsies in your general direction slightly elder one. Getting old is not for the faint of heart, er pun intended?

{^_-}

On 20220102 10:31:02, Jerry Lofstead W3CDE wrote:
[...]

Max

On Sun, Jan 2, 2022 at 05:44 PM, Simon Brown wrote:
I'll be 65 this year so who knows how long I'll be writing code. There are many things that could be written, I must concentrate on those which I really have a desire to write.
I'm not far behind you Simon, but difference is that my small brain does not even have the slightest insight into how you would begin writing the code (or any code) to produce something like SDR Console so hats off to you and very huge thanks for all the work to produce the best performing and most user-friendly SDR software on the planet. When I see (and try - very briefly - I'm not a masochist) what other SDR programs people battle to use I just don't fathom why they insist on making life so difficult for themselves when they could just load up SDRC and be on air immediately with very little drama, so well done and heartfelt thanks for what you do for those of us that could never get anywhere close from their own efforts.

What you do will always be a total mystery to me but long may you continue doing it!

Happy New Year and 73

Max

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

I like to think I still have a streak of youth about me but I was brought down to Earth sharply last year when my first State Pension payment hit my bank account.

Tom G6PZZ

[...]

David J Taylor

On 02/01/2022 17:44, Simon Brown wrote:
One thing,

I'll be 65 this year so who knows how long I'll be writing code. There are many things that could be written, I must concentrate on those which I really have a desire to write.

I'm 73 now, and still writing code. I half-retired some time back, and can now
concentrate on the bits which interest me, or the very few serious issues with
my own software. Fortunately the weather satellites my software supports are
gradually retiring, and there are others supporting the newer satellites
(although not needing to use that as a means of living, as I did, but being
supported by a "day job").

I do try and help others, but have little patience with those who ask the same
questions again and again, and don't appear either to search for or to read the
material to which they have been pointed. Mind you, I probably appear to do
the same when Linux is mentioned - but fortunately using the Raspberry Pi
extensively has ameliorated that to a degree!

Hitting the wrong keys is now starting to be an issue.

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

oldjackbob@...

IMO it's a shame that more transceivers don't support APD (adaptive predistortion, i.e., Apache Labs' PureSignal). As Rob Sherwood laments, the Big Three all have put such focus on the receive side of the radios that the receiver capabilities of any of the flagship models are all so high that they are pushing the limits of lab equipment to test and report on, yet none of them to date seem to be giving much regard at all to enhancing the purity/cleanness of the transmitted signal. Which is a shame, because dirty signals abound on the waterfall and adversely affect all of us. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter how awesome the published figures are for a receiver, if the transmitted signal is trashy then the rig shouldn't even be on the air.

My point here is that if more transceivers were capable of employing APD then perhaps Simon would be more amenable to supporting that feature.

Disclosure: I own and operate an Apache Labs, and I also have OCD, so it really aggravates me when I see trashy signals on the waterfall because I know that a large part of the reason those trashy signals are so common is because the manufacturers simply don't care enough to implement the technology that currently exists (and is open source!).

Mark

CliffVK2NP

Only about a year behind you Simon, Happy New Year may there be many more.

I'm an ex Avionics Tech but software I leave to the experts ,
SDRConsole is still my goto for controlling my IC-R8600 and new SdrPlay DUO

Cliff VK2NP