From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Chris van Lint via groups.io <chrisvanlint@...>
Sent: 29 July 2022 02:55
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io>
Subject: [SDR-Radio] SDR Console with W11

After having been ex communicado for almost 6 months without any radios,
I have just recently managed to put up a small vertical tuned to the 2M
band. In the meantime I had to buy a new PC and I am now running W11. I
have downloaded the latest version of SDR Console and I have been
playing in the aero band, using the ubiquitous RTL-SDR USB dongle.
Something very strange is happening. When I initially select a frequency
using the panel on the left, things work fine. However when I change
this frequency using the mouse over the digits (or even using the
keyboard) the resulting frequency is nothing like what I selected. Is
this something peculiar to W11, or has my 80+ memory suffered a break
down somewhere and I am doing something drastically wrong?

Chris

Chris van Lint

Thank you Simon for your reply and you are certainly up at Sparrows' fart!

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics       3.60 GHz

16.0 GB (14.9 GB usable)

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 11 Home

Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.795.0

SDR Console version 3.1 build 2572
Dongle RTL-SDR USB

RF Gain Automatic

AGC Off

Bandwidth 2MHz

Demod AM@~8.0kHz BW

Since my earlier mail both the dongle and mouse have been replaced.When I start SDR-C with the frequency set to 120.9 MHz (Local ATIS) everything is good:

If I use the <Zoom> slider, to check frequency accuracy, this happens:

The signal shifts to the left.
If I stop the radio and restart it, everything is good again.
With the correct signal being received and corresponding to the numerical read-out, if I now adjust the digits on the read-out to e.g. 122.9 the screen looks like this:

The read-out shows 122.9, but the signal being received is nowhere near 122.9. In fact the signal shown in the centre is still the 120.9 ATIS transmission and when I move the cursor manually to this peak the audio received is the ATIS.
I am also attaching the log file, in case it helps identifying the issue.
73's Chris VK4CVL

On 29/07/2022 05:05, Simon Brown wrote:
Hi,

This will not be a W11 problem. Maybe a screenshot and a description of what you change and what happens? Could be a wonky mouse?

Ribbon Bar, View, Low High Zoom - check [X] Auto center.

[...]

Thank you for your reply and apologies for the delay in reacting, which is due to the 9 hour time difference.

I have done as suggested:

Auto center NOT ticked

Mouse-over buttons TICKED

I cannot take a screenshot as the field disappears

Unfortunately it does not fix the problem. I can zoom without the frequency changing. The initial screen looks like this:

When I change the frequency either by using the mouse over the RX1 frequency display or by entering the new frequency via keyboard the following happens:

The received signal does not change to the selected frequency and the 120.9 peak remains in the centre of the screen. Moving the vertical tuning bar over the peak confirms that this is indeed 120.9

Initially when I plugged in the RTL-SDR dongle, W11 automatically installed what it thought was the correct dongle. I uninstalled this driver using Device Manager. The driver was re-installed using Zadig:

Look forward to further instructions and thanks for your help so far.

Chris

On 29/07/2022 11:23, Simon Brown wrote:

Hi,

Ribbon Bar, View, Low High Zoom - check [X] Auto center.

_,_

Simon Brown

You must check Auto center!

[...]

Both Auto centre and mouse over buttons have now been checked.  Unfortunately no change. I am not attaching any screenshots, because they are exactly the same as the ones provided in the previous mail. The following however may provide a clue. When I increase the frequency in MHz increments, the 120.9 ATIS signal is received at the 123.9, 126.9, 129.9 MHz and so on settings.

Cheers,

Chris

You must check Auto center!

[...]

Apologies,

I forgot to delete content on the previous mail.

Chris

On 30/07/2022 04:44, Simon Brown wrote:
You must check Auto center!

Chris van Lint

A further possible clue?

If I tune "backwards" in 1 MHz increments the 120.9MHz appears on every decremented 1MHz setting, i.e. 119.9, 118.9, 117.9 etc.

Chris

On 30/07/2022 04:44, Simon Brown wrote:
You must check Auto center!

I don't know what's happening. Please attach screenshots, I can't quite read the detail.

If a station appears at various frequencies while you change the tuning, then something's borked.

So, two screenshots showing the station on two different frequencies. Please make sire the Ribbon Bar, Home panel is fully visible.