From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Per
Sent: 04 May 2021 09:40
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] SDR Console vs. Elgato Stream Deck

Have anyone done some integration of Elgato Stream Deck to SDR Console? Something like FRstack for Flex/SmartSDR?

73 de LA9XKA - Per

John (M5ET)

As a Stream Deck XL user (functionally the same as the SD and SD Mini, but with more buttons), I can tell you that the simplest integration is to configure buttons as hotkeys.

They all support both single-action hotkeys, and multi-action lists (which can include hotkey actions amongst other things), so you can set that up easily. Of course, if Simon were to wish to spend the time writing a Stream Deck plugin (which would then be available via the plugins store), it would be possible to have ‘default’ pretty icons and so on, but nothing prevents anyone else from just setting up hotkeys to match any built-in hotkey combinations that SDR Console already supports!

You can also use hotkeys to trigger applications, including powershell/batch scripts, so anything that can be scripted will also “just work”.

73,

John (M5ET)

They (I) haven’t – this device looks superb, I’m very tempted to buy one but my funds for new toys are low atm.

Have anyone done some integration of Elgato Stream Deck to SDR Console? Something like FRstack for Flex/SmartSDR?

73 de LA9XKA - Per

John,

It does look very nice, especially the ability to upload new bitmaps.

They (I) haven’t – this device looks superb, I’m very tempted to buy one but my funds for new toys are low atm.

Have anyone done some integration of Elgato Stream Deck to SDR Console? Something like FRstack for Flex/SmartSDR?

73 de LA9XKA - Per

John (M5ET)

If you want to chat about it a bit more off-list, you know where to find me! More than happy to test things for you if you do have some fun ideas…

Let me know!

73,

John (M5ET)

It does look very nice, especially the ability to upload new bitmaps.

They (I) haven’t – this device looks superb, I’m very tempted to buy one but my funds for new toys are low atm.

Have anyone done some integration of Elgato Stream Deck to SDR Console? Something like FRstack for Flex/SmartSDR?

73 de LA9XKA - Per

Per

Thank You for the response!

I have ordered an XL now as they are on offer here locally at the moment, I hope it will be an good addition to SDR Console.

My understanding is that while it works with hotkeys You must always keep the controlled application in focus while with an integration as FRstack (for Flex radio) the buttons will function even when You are in another Windows application?

73 de Per - LA9XKA

Simon Brown

Ah,

If it sends out keystrokes then yes, the app (SDR Console) must have focus. Maybe I can write code so that this is not needed, I would have to look at the SDK (API).

I have ordered an XL now as they are on offer here locally at the moment, I hope it will be an good addition to SDR Console.

My understanding is that while it works with hotkeys You must always keep the controlled application in focus while with an integration as FRstack (for Flex radio) the buttons will function even when You are in another Windows application?

73 de Per - LA9XKA

Max Mucci, N5NHJ

Hello Per,
Yes, you are right.
----------------------
73 de Max, N5NHJ (I8NHJ)

Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 9:04:20 AM, you wrote:

Thank You for the response!

I have ordered an XL now as they are on offer here locally at the moment, I hope it will be an good addition to SDR Console.

My understanding is that while it works with hotkeys You must always keep the controlled application in focus while with an integration as FRstack (for Flex radio) the buttons will function even when You are in another Windows application?

73 de Per - LA9XKA

Gisle Vanem

If it sends out keystrokes then yes, the app (SDR Console) must have focus.

Not if SDR Console handles MIDI-input. But does it?

Simon Brown

MIDI is different. AFAIK the Elgato appears as a sort of HID device.

If it sends out keystrokes then yes, the app (SDR Console) must have focus.

Not if SDR Console handles MIDI-input. But does it?

John (M5ET)

Simon is correct!

Here’s a screenshot from my Device Manager showing the Stream Deck XL hardware IDs…

73,

John (M5ET)

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 06:25 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

MIDI is different. AFAIK the Elgato appears as a sort of HID device.

Oh. I thought a MIDI-interface was bundled with it. But there is at least one plugin for this.

John (M5ET)

There’s a “proper” MIDI plugin available via the plugins library… Its website is https://trevligaspel.se/streamdeck/midi/index.html

You’re much more likely to find people are willing to install something that’s packaged with the SD via its library/store, than something on github. It’s a usability thing, more than anything else. One search and two clicks gets me a MIDI plugin, whereas the github link you provided likely involves me spending ages reading up on how to install it before we even get anywhere near doing anything!

When added, it gives the following “button type” options:

I’m sure it could be configured to do things that way, but each user would have to manually configure the MIDI commands they want to run (and once you select “Control Change” for example, you then have to pick the MIDI ports, the command you want to send etc etc). It’d be much cleaner to have a proper SDR-Console plugin which either sends the same MIDI commands, or better still, a proper interface that the StreamDeck software can talk to directly which negates faffing.

This is all getting rather close to asking Simon to build and maintain a whole extra piece of software though, and that’s a big ask for someone who’s already producing such an excellent package the way he does!

73,

John (M5ET)

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 06:25 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

MIDI is different. AFAIK the Elgato appears as a sort of HID device.

Oh. I thought a MIDI-interface was bundled with it. But there is at least one plugin for this.

Andrea Lawendel

Interesting, still I'm a bit confused. It seems all the attention is focused on Stream Deck as a content/streaming controller. You maintain it can work as function controller, like the TMate or Shuttle Pro? Wouldn't the latter provide for better ergonomics? On the SD I don't see any physical rotating wheel, for instance.
Looking forward to your guiding explanations.

73
Andy

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 7:17 PM John (M5ET) <john@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Andy,

I’m simply responding to queries from others, who suggested this. However, given that you have either 6, 15, or 32 buttons per ‘page’ with the different Stream Deck variants, and given you can basically program each button, stick a text label on it, stick an image there too, and even have the image change based on whether a status is ‘on’ or ‘off’… Not to mention subfolders and sub-profiles you can switch between all by pushing buttons, you suddenly have a huge amount of extra flexibility with dynamically updating button faces. Sure, each folder you create loses you a button from the main page, but if you do like I’ve done with mine (I do use it for streaming), and have a “Select Profile” button which loads up a page of buttons each containing a separate profile, you can then have 31 usable buttons per profile page, and the full 32 profiles, one per button in the ‘select’ screen. Each button is actually a small OLED screen underneath a transparent top, hence the ability to have them update automatically.

I fully agree it lacks a jog wheel/VFO wheel style option, but if you take the XL for example (8 columns, 4 rows), you could literally have a button for each mode you wanted, a button for each band you wanted, a button for each of a set of different filter widths, and still plenty to spare, all with images that update when they detect a certain config (assuming a properly integrated plugin). I have a Shuttle Pro as well, and that works nicely for various things, but has fewer buttons and they don’t label themselves based on what I’m doing. Nothing stops me using both the Shuttle Pro and the Stream Deck XL in tandem though, and it’s something I’m now seriously considering configuring up as a test!

It was initially designed as a content/streaming controller, you’re correct there. However, the original design is just the tip of the iceberg. I know one ham who uses his as a launch pad for different application stacks (due to the multi-action button option), whereby he pushes one button and it opens up a specific profile for his preferred data mode application, opens up his logging software, opens up a couple of webpages, loads up KST2Me, and has everything ready to go with one tap.

73,

John (M5ET)

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 06:25 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

MIDI is different. AFAIK the Elgato appears as a sort of HID device.

Oh. I thought a MIDI-interface was bundled with it. But there is at least one plugin for this.

Thomas S. Knutsen

Mind sharing who has it on offer localy? If so I will get one to try.

73 de Thomas LA3PNA.

Sendt fra min iPhone

4. mai 2021 kl. 18:23 skrev Gisle Vanem <gisle.vanem@...>:

If it sends out keystrokes then yes, the app (SDR Console) must have focus.

Not if SDR Console handles MIDI-input. But does it?

Simon Brown

Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/szaywpsb

Mind sharing who has it on offer localy? If so I will get one to try.

73 de Thomas LA3PNA.

Sendt fra min iPhone

4. mai 2021 kl. 18:23 skrev Gisle Vanem <gisle.vanem@...>:

If it sends out keystrokes then yes, the app (SDR Console) must have focus.

Not if SDR Console handles MIDI-input. But does it?

Per

Thomas

Found it on Komplett.no

<https://www.komplett.no/product/1130161/datautstyr/pc-tilbehoer/streaming/capture-streaming/elgato-stream-deck-xl>

73 de LA9XKA - Per

On 05.05.2021 00:01, Thomas S. Knutsen wrote:
Mind sharing who has it on offer localy? If so I will get one to try.

73 de Thomas LA3PNA.

Sendt fra min iPhone

4. mai 2021 kl. 18:23 skrev Gisle Vanem <gisle.vanem@...>:

If it sends out keystrokes then yes, the app (SDR Console) must have focus.

Not if SDR Console handles MIDI-input. But does it?

Virusfri. www.avg.com

Max

Simon, I do get that it's about the Elgato being "always live" but for most of us a lot of the functionality of this keyboard could already be implemented if you were able to map more customisable hotkey functions to the regular PC keyboard for use in SDRC.

As far as I know buttons like the mode selectors in the RX DSP panel are not yet available for hotkey. For example, I'd like to be able to configure the regular PC keyboard to press "L" for LSB, "U" for USB, "A" for AM etc. I think for most people this might be of more of a priority? Do you have any plans to do more work to map more on-screen functions to be available for customisable hotkeys, especially as the feature is already in SDRC, just that a lot of functions are not mappable yet?

73

Max