SDR Console V3 on FTDX101D and a HermesLite2 #sdr-consolev3

TOM - K2TC

I’m using SDR Console v3 with OmniRig on my FTDX-101D to allow me point and click freq changes, mouse scroll and the much nicer spectrum/waterfall/pana display from my Hermes Lite 2fed from the RX out port on the FTDX-101D

I start the PC

Start OmniRig with the FTDX-101D profile

Start SDR Console V3

Start the Main Profile I call FTDX-101D

Select/Start the HL2 at 384khz

Click the Start button for the External Radio. (this sync the 2 radios)

Takes all of 3 seconds to do this….

There are some features that of course do not work, or are not in sync, but for the awesome UI that SDRCv3 has – it’s a great place to start!

Not sure if the IF is a better place to grab this from, or if there is more functionality going a different route – please let me know!!

Not sure if there is a better way to get to the spectrum or IQ data in the FTDX-101D directly, that would be awesome if it added more features like bandwidth control….

Interesting – I find the 101D and HL2 to be very close and consistent in initial setup from a db / s-signal perspective with out changing the rx gain in the HL2 to match the 101D.

Fun bouncing between the 101D and the SDRCv3/PC to hear audio quality, yes there is a bit of delay, but I usually listen to one or the other.

I will say the HL2 is as sensitive – but no where near as selective as the 101D is, and it isn’t ment to be or expected.

Would love a feature to completely turn off the TX PO on the HL2 in this mode – you’d not want to TX in to the RX port….

Tom, K2TC

Max

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 05:41 PM, TOM - K2TC wrote:

I will say the HL2 is as sensitive – but no where near as selective as the 101D is, and it isn’t ment to be or expected.

Would love a feature to completely turn off the TX PO on the HL2 in this mode – you’d not want to TX in to the RX port….

Hi Tom

I'm not familiar with using HL2 in this way, but used as a standard SDR (which effectively I think you are - albeit tracking the 101) you can disable the HL2 PA in SDRC. Perhaps that's not possible using it the way you are?

I use the HL2 to drive transverters and it's possible to split the RX and TX in the HL2 using "RF3" input, which routes directly the the HL2 RX input after the TX/RX relay. If you use this it's impossible to end up with power out to the RX output of the 101. Unfortunately RF3 is not brought out to a socket as standard on the HL2 but it's available on the header that connects the main HL2 board to the N2ADR filter board so it's a fairly trivial matter to pick it up on a piece of mini-coax and bring it out to an additional socket on the rear of the HL2. In this way the HL2 can in fact work full duplex.

Not sure what you mean when you say HL2 not as selective as the 101D. As a direct sampling SDR I guess you could say it does not have any selectivity at all in the classic sense. All of the selectivity is taking place inside the SDR Console DSP filtering. Personally I've never found it lacking in any mode. Just my own experience of course. Maybe it's not the case if bombarding the front end with a plethora of strong signals from a high gain antenna?

73

Max

TOM - K2TC

Hi Max –

I did order another HL2 to bring out the RX port, and basically deadend the TX PO issue. So that was already in the mix…J1/J21 location is the plan.

I’m looking at the “ it lost its mind and made power” possibility. So that will certainly address that issue.

I really love the HL2, and in many cases amazed at how well it performs – so I plan on keeping the first one as is – fully functional. I like it as much as my ELAD FDM-DUO.

On the selectivity part – I’ve seen a few wide band bursts, crashes and a very local HF neighbor affect the HL2 more so than the 101D, noticeable, but not offensive.

I haven’t pulled out the service monitor to perform any RX deg tests – as its really minimal. Have sliders and settings – it’s more fun to tinker around with.

Ive played around with the RX Gain and AGC settings and can optimize it to be about the same – but takes a little more tending to keep it universally the same to my ear.

The difference is certainly very minimal – just being objective. And to be totally objective, the SDRCv3 implementation of NR2 is of a higher quality to my ear. NR on the 101D is really good, NR2 on the HL2 just seems a bit better.

And as you say – every environment is going to be a little different.

Tom, K2TC

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 11:41 PM, TOM - K2TC wrote:

NR on the 101D is really good, NR2 on the HL2 just seems a bit better.

And as you say – every environment is going to be a little different.

Yes, I take all your points. Personally (and each to their own) now I've sampled pure SDR I don't see the point of running two radios in tandem when just the SDR does such a spectacular job. If I was you I'd be ditching the 101 and get a linear for the HL2! Though of course I expect the 101 does some VHF bands as well. For me there's not really any incentive at all to ever buy a "conventional" rig again plus I do get a huge kick out of getting such amazing performance out of a radio that really costs very little like the HL2.

However, having said all that I also hugely enjoy running my old Drake 4C Line radios so that's pretty much two ends of the sophistication spectrum. Room for all in this hobby which of course is the great appeal. Sometimes you just can't beat the heat of some tubes (or valves as we call them over here in the UK) and the blue glow of the Drake dial filters!

I also run an old Microwave Modules transverter (90s version) with the HL2 on 6m and another transverter for 2m (Spectrum) so that's somewhere in the middle ground, but they works OK for me. Just need to cure the drift on the MM unit!

73

Max

TOM - K2TC

Hi Max –

Yea – it’s a blast for sure…

Totally enjoy the SDRCv3 front end to tell you the truth.

I had the FDM-DUO and the HL2 already. The FDM-DUO is my portable as I could operate it by itself. The HL2 is amazing in its own rite. Both work great with SDRCv3.

I had someone interested in some HF rigs I had, so I decided to refresh the station – selling most of the radios I had, and some service equipment to make room and fund the refresh.

I wanted a rig I can turn on – and not tie myself up looking at a PC – the FTDX-101D was my choice. I really love the RX in it. Very happy with it.

I sold off a few other pieces of gear to bring in another SDR rig, so that one will be PC bound – and finish off the refresh.

Im toying around with doing a resto-mod on a TS-850SAT I have. Like to pull the TX/RX deck out, plant an HL2 in it, figure how to play the display in the radio, update the volume controls with the encoders, and use the PA/tuner. This might be a longer term project. Im thinking midi controller for the buttons and encoders – but need to do a lot more research into it. See if its really feasible – or just a never ending project.

If anyone has done something like this – please share your experience!

All in the name of fun!

Tom, K2TC