From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of AB9NN - Jon Kreski
Sent: 04 November 2019 15:53
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] SDR Console V3.0.16 Waterfall

Simon,

Just installed and the waterfall is black.  Signal meter seems to be working and there is audio.  Running an RTL-SDR dongle and SpyVerter.

Jon - AB9NN

M0ZEH

Click auto top right of vertical slider.
Steve M0ZEH

jdow

Have you played with the gain settings? The dongle's gain WILL have to be set to something reasonable. Bring it up step by step. As soon as stations quit getting larger than the noise stop increasing the gain. If the spectrum goes crazy with spurious signals before you get to the SNR quits improving gain back off one step and live with it. The dynamic range of the rtlsdr dongles is severely limited. But, they do give you a nice cheap introduction to life in the SDR world.
{^_^}

On 20191104 07:53:22, AB9NN - Jon Kreski wrote:
Simon,
Just installed and the waterfall is black.  Signal meter seems to be working and there is audio.  Running an RTL-SDR dongle and SpyVerter.
Jon - AB9NN

Simon,

Seems the up converter offset was un-selected after the install.  Pretty sure that was not something that I did.  Selecting it seems to have cleared the issues.  The other responses below also were helpful.  After I tried them I could see the waterfall was functioning but there was still something wrong with the signal level.  Since I had my gain already up I searched for other issues and found the up converter setting issue. Love the software!

Jon AB9NN

Simon Brown

Jon,

Ah – there may always be small issue like that which creep past the test team.