SDR Console to Pluto, no modulation sent from one PC, another is fine.

Chris Wilson

I am tearing my hair out with a problem I think is beyond my knowledge. I have totally separate but identically set up instances of SDR Console on two different PC's on the same hard wired network. One an elderly laptop running Win 7 Pro 64 bit, the other an elderly desktop running the same OS. The Pluto is by my dish, on a LAN to USB adaptor. From the laptop I always get receive and can TX SSB to Oscar 100. Never a problem. From the desktop many times, seemingly randomly, I cannot TX SSB and the ALC meter shows nothing when using either TUNE or TONE, whatever the drive level is set to. Occasionally it'll work for while, then next time I try and use it it wont modulate. DATV over the same LAN from the desktop to a Portsdown on the LAN is fine. Other LAN activity seems fine. I suspect that it may be some audio issue, but what exactly I have no idea.

If anyone feels able to help what further info would be useful or necessary please? Thanks.

--

Best regards,
Chris mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

Simon Brown

Screenshots?

[...]

Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Chris Wilson

Hello Simon,

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Thanks for the very quick reply Simon. I have zipped up a screen shot of both PC's, the none modulating desktop, and the working laptop, as well as the log files during a TX from both, hopefully the file names are self explanatory. I have placed the zip file on my server:

http://www.chriswilson.tv/simon.zip

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

SB> Screenshots?

SB> Simon Brown, G4ELI
SB> https://www.sdr-radio.com

Oh,

Why not add here as an attachment ?

Make sure you are watching the Spectrum in the Transmit pane on the right,
this shows whether you're actually modulating. Do this with voice, not Tune
for now.

Show the Radio settings in the Receive panel.

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

I read all the groups via e-mail, not via the web, and reply the same way, using my e-mail client, so can't add attachments directly.

I **** THINK **** I may have a handle on this! On the desktop PC I had no USB or other microphone plugged in when using TUNE or TONE from SDR Console. When I plugged in a USB headset and rebooted SDR Console TUNE and TONE gave modulation. The laptop has a microphone built in...

Could that be my issue, that I need a USB microphone or headset connected to the desktop PC for TUNE or TONE to function correctly? I assumed TUNE and TONE were generated internally in SDR Console and the lack of USB peripherals was not necessary?

Screenshot of previously none working desktop TX'ing a voice test transmission successfully:

http://www.chriswilson.tv/mike-plugged-in.jpg

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

I can confirm unplugging the USB headset after I am able to successfully modulate and see modulation in the spectrum monitor (which if I am 100% honest I didn’t know was even there...) results in TUNE and TONE buttons no longer modulating. Plugging the headset back in fails to get them working again, but restarting SDR Console with the headset still plugged in gets them going again. Expected behavior and hopefully my "fix"? Thanks again.

Best regards,
Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

CW> Hello Simon,

CW> Tuesday, September 7, 2021

CW> I read all the groups via e-mail, not via the web, and reply the
CW> same way, using my e-mail client, so can't add attachments directly.

CW> I **** THINK **** I may have a handle on this! On the desktop PC
CW> I had no USB or other microphone plugged in when using TUNE or
CW> TONE from SDR Console. When I plugged in a USB headset and
CW> rebooted SDR Console TUNE and TONE gave modulation. The laptop has a microphone built in...

CW> Could that be my issue, that I need a USB microphone or headset
CW> connected to the desktop PC for TUNE or TONE to function
CW> correctly? I assumed TUNE and TONE were generated internally in
CW> SDR Console and the lack of USB peripherals was not necessary?

CW> Screenshot of previously none working desktop TX'ing a voice test transmission successfully:

CW> http://www.chriswilson.tv/mike-plugged-in.jpg

CW> Best regards,
CW> Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

Siegfried Jackstien

It definitely is
 No mic= no output
Simon uses the sampling clock as a master clock to send the data to the sdr
So with no device.. No clock.. NO power
Greetz sigi dg9bfc

Hello Simon

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

I can confirm unplugging the USB headset after I am able to successfully modulate and see modulation in the spectrum monitor (which if I am 100% honest I didn’t know was even there...) results in TUNE and TONE buttons no longer modulating. Plugging the headset back in fails to get them working again, but restarting SDR Console with the headset still plugged in gets them going again. Expected behavior and hopefully my "fix"?  Thanks again.

Best regards,
Chris    2E0ILY       mailto:chris@...

CW> Hello Simon,

CW>  Tuesday, September 7, 2021

CW>  I read all the groups via e-mail, not via the web, and reply the
CW> same way, using my e-mail client, so can't add attachments directly.

CW> I **** THINK **** I may have a handle on this! On the desktop PC
CW> I had no USB or other microphone plugged in when using TUNE or
CW> TONE from SDR Console. When I plugged in a USB headset and
CW> rebooted SDR Console TUNE and TONE gave modulation. The laptop has a microphone built in...

CW> Could that be my issue, that I need a USB microphone or headset
CW> connected to the desktop PC for TUNE or TONE to function
CW> correctly? I assumed TUNE and TONE were generated internally in
CW> SDR Console and the lack of USB peripherals was not necessary?

CW> Screenshot of previously  none working desktop TX'ing a voice test transmission successfully:

CW> http://www.chriswilson.tv/mike-plugged-in.jpg

CW> Best regards,
CW>  Chris    2E0ILY       mailto:chris@...

Chris Wilson

Hello Siegfried,

 Tuesday, September 7, 2021

 Thanks Sigi, that is a simple fix, but I would never have found it had Simon not suggested using microphone SSB as a test.  Could I respectfully suggest some error message might be presented if TUNE or TONE is tried without a microphone available to the PC?

Best regards,
 Chris    2E0ILY
mailto:chris@...

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

I can confirm unplugging the USB headset after I am able to successfully modulate and see modulation in the spectrum monitor (which if I am 100% honest I didn’t know was even there...) results in TUNE and TONE buttons no longer modulating. Plugging the headset back in fails to get them working again, but restarting SDR Console with the headset still plugged in gets them going again. Expected behavior and hopefully my "fix"?  Thanks again.

Best regards,
Chris    2E0ILY       mailto:chris@...

CW> Hello Simon,

CW>  Tuesday, September 7, 2021

CW>  I read all the groups via e-mail, not via the web, and reply the
CW> same way, using my e-mail client, so can't add attachments directly.

CW> I **** THINK **** I may have a handle on this! On the desktop PC
CW> I had no USB or other microphone plugged in when using TUNE or
CW> TONE from SDR Console. When I plugged in a USB headset and
CW> rebooted SDR Console TUNE and TONE gave modulation. The laptop has a microphone built in...

CW> Could that be my issue, that I need a USB microphone or headset
CW> connected to the desktop PC for TUNE or TONE to function
CW> correctly? I assumed TUNE and TONE were generated internally in
CW> SDR Console and the lack of USB peripherals was not necessary?

CW> Screenshot of previously  none working desktop TX'ing a voice test transmission successfully:

CW> http://www.chriswilson.tv/mike-plugged-in.jpg

CW> Best regards,
CW>  Chris    2E0ILY       mailto:chris@...

Siegfried Jackstien

yepp .. plugging in the mic has to be done BEFORE starting console

a later plugged in device is not found in the drop down luist .. so can not be selected

yes your idea is not bad ... a pop up window that says no input device selected or so

dg9bfc sigi

Hello Siegfried,

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

I can confirm unplugging the USB headset after I am able to successfully modulate and see modulation in the spectrum monitor (which if I am 100% honest I didn’t know was even there...) results in TUNE and TONE buttons no longer modulating. Plugging the headset back in fails to get them working again, but restarting SDR Console with the headset still plugged in gets them going again. Expected behavior and hopefully my "fix"?  Thanks again.

Best regards,
Chris    2E0ILY       mailto:chris@...

CW> Hello Simon,

CW>  Tuesday, September 7, 2021

CW>  I read all the groups via e-mail, not via the web, and reply the
CW> same way, using my e-mail client, so can't add attachments directly.

CW> I **** THINK **** I may have a handle on this! On the desktop PC
CW> I had no USB or other microphone plugged in when using TUNE or
CW> TONE from SDR Console. When I plugged in a USB headset and
CW> rebooted SDR Console TUNE and TONE gave modulation. The laptop has a microphone built in...

CW> Could that be my issue, that I need a USB microphone or headset
CW> connected to the desktop PC for TUNE or TONE to function
CW> correctly? I assumed TUNE and TONE were generated internally in
CW> SDR Console and the lack of USB peripherals was not necessary?

CW> Screenshot of previously  none working desktop TX'ing a voice test transmission successfully:

CW> http://www.chriswilson.tv/mike-plugged-in.jpg

CW> Best regards,
CW>  Chris    2E0ILY       mailto:chris@...

jdow

I would suggest that is an easy issue to fix.
ON_CBN_DROPDOWN( IDC_RX_AUDIO_OUT_SEL, &CAudioControls::OnDropdownRxAudioOut )
with the OnDropdownRxAudioOut function rereading the list of devices.

{o.o}

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

I can confirm unplugging the USB headset after I am able to successfully modulate and see modulation in the spectrum monitor (which if I am 100% honest I didn’t know was even there...) results in TUNE and TONE buttons no longer modulating. Plugging the headset back in fails to get them working again, but restarting SDR Console with the headset still plugged in gets them going again. Expected behavior and hopefully my "fix"?  Thanks again.

Best regards,
Chris    2E0ILY       mailto:chris@...

CW> Hello Simon,

CW>  Tuesday, September 7, 2021

CW>  I read all the groups via e-mail, not via the web, and reply the
CW> same way, using my e-mail client, so can't add attachments directly.

CW> I **** THINK **** I may have a handle on this! On the desktop PC
CW> I had no USB or other microphone plugged in when using TUNE or
CW> TONE from SDR Console. When I plugged in a USB headset and
CW> rebooted SDR Console TUNE and TONE gave modulation. The laptop has a microphone built in...

CW> Could that be my issue, that I need a USB microphone or headset
CW> connected to the desktop PC for TUNE or TONE to function
CW> correctly? I assumed TUNE and TONE were generated internally in
CW> SDR Console and the lack of USB peripherals was not necessary?

CW> Screenshot of previously  none working desktop TX'ing a voice test transmission successfully:

CW> http://www.chriswilson.tv/mike-plugged-in.jpg

CW> Best regards,
CW>  Chris    2E0ILY       mailto:chris@...

Siegfried Jackstien

it is the audio in device not audio out ....

dg9bfc sigi

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

I can confirm unplugging the USB headset after I am able to successfully modulate and see modulation in the spectrum monitor (which if I am 100% honest I didn’t know was even there...) results in TUNE and TONE buttons no longer modulating. Plugging the headset back in fails to get them working again, but restarting SDR Console with the headset still plugged in gets them going again. Expected behavior and hopefully my "fix"?  Thanks again.

Best regards,
Chris    2E0ILY       mailto:chris@...

CW> Hello Simon,

CW>  Tuesday, September 7, 2021

CW>  I read all the groups via e-mail, not via the web, and reply the
CW> same way, using my e-mail client, so can't add attachments directly.

CW> I **** THINK **** I may have a handle on this! On the desktop PC
CW> I had no USB or other microphone plugged in when using TUNE or
CW> TONE from SDR Console. When I plugged in a USB headset and
CW> rebooted SDR Console TUNE and TONE gave modulation. The laptop has a microphone built in...

CW> Could that be my issue, that I need a USB microphone or headset
CW> connected to the desktop PC for TUNE or TONE to function
CW> correctly? I assumed TUNE and TONE were generated internally in
CW> SDR Console and the lack of USB peripherals was not necessary?

CW> Screenshot of previously  none working desktop TX'ing a voice test transmission successfully:

CW> http://www.chriswilson.tv/mike-plugged-in.jpg

CW> Best regards,
CW>  Chris    2E0ILY       mailto:chris@...

jdow

I did not have a cut and paste example for audio in. The same technique should work either way. You fill out the list just before it displays with then current values.

{^_^}

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

I can confirm unplugging the USB headset after I am able to successfully modulate and see modulation in the spectrum monitor (which if I am 100% honest I didn’t know was even there...) results in TUNE and TONE buttons no longer modulating. Plugging the headset back in fails to get them working again, but restarting SDR Console with the headset still plugged in gets them going again. Expected behavior and hopefully my "fix"?  Thanks again.

Best regards,
Chris    2E0ILY       mailto:chris@...

CW> Hello Simon,

CW>  Tuesday, September 7, 2021

CW>  I read all the groups via e-mail, not via the web, and reply the
CW> same way, using my e-mail client, so can't add attachments directly.

CW> I **** THINK **** I may have a handle on this! On the desktop PC
CW> I had no USB or other microphone plugged in when using TUNE or
CW> TONE from SDR Console. When I plugged in a USB headset and
CW> rebooted SDR Console TUNE and TONE gave modulation. The laptop has a microphone built in...

CW> Could that be my issue, that I need a USB microphone or headset
CW> connected to the desktop PC for TUNE or TONE to function
CW> correctly? I assumed TUNE and TONE were generated internally in
CW> SDR Console and the lack of USB peripherals was not necessary?

CW> Screenshot of previously  none working desktop TX'ing a voice test transmission successfully:

CW> http://www.chriswilson.tv/mike-plugged-in.jpg

CW> Best regards,
CW>  Chris    2E0ILY       mailto:chris@...

Max

Just for info, there has already been a long conversation on exactly this topic about three weeks ago!

https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1308

Max

Chris Wilson

Hello Max,

Thursday, September 9, 2021

Thanks, I have read that thread and this from Simon sounds (pardon the pun...) good:

"I rely on the input source to provide data at 48kHz, it's a simple option for me. If in doubt use the microphone on the motherboard, I'll think about displaying an error if the selected input source doesn't supply data."

Thanks Max / Simon.