Topics

SDR-Console hangs when starting remote radio

sm6fhz

Hi all.
SDR-Console v3 refuses to start remote radios, it just hangs. See attached screenshot. Same for both v3.16 and v3.17. Forced closing and restart of SDR-Console is the only way out.
Same for local my v3-server (on my internal network) as well for external servers. I can connect OK to the servers, see the radios available, but not start a radio.
The screenshots attached are from KA1GJU and Kongsfjord SDR server connection.
I have disabled the firewall in the computer used (win7), no change. I have also tried to find anything in my router that may stop data packages from flowing. No change at all.
Where should I look for a solution?
Screenshots and logfile attached.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Dick

Hi Ingolf,

Gave it a quick go with the KA1GJU AIrspy HF on port 50101 (your first screenshot) and could connect without any problems.
What does the SDRC logfile say?

Using Win10 and SDR-C v3.0.17

73, Dick PA2015

sm6fhz

Hi Dick.
I can also connect alright, but not start a radio. That is the problem.
I do not understand what the log file says. It is attached so you can have a look at it and tell me what the fault is :-)
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Dick

Edited

Hmmm, when I select that remote reciever and connect it automatically starts. No additional user action needed.
But now when I restarted SDR-C and pressed the start button (which shows 'Start the previously selected radio) it does not start..

I don't see a log file, but I now have mine and the last message is:
11:31:09.147: Select Radio> Selecting Radio

So why don't you try to reselect and see if it works that way.
It does with me!
It would help Simon to pinpoint the cause of the problem (if there is any).

Cheers,
Dick

Dick

Well this is odd, I can no longer reproduce the behaviour you see.
It now always starts that remote receiver when I stop/start the program and press the start button (which shows 'Start the previously selected radio).
At times I get a 5 second timeout message when I didn't respond quickly enough to the question my firewall asks me.
But that reems not related to what you experienced and what I experienced the first time I tried this.

So if you still see the same behaviour your logfile should give at least a hint on what is going on.

73, Dick

Kriss Kliegle

Ingolf,

Do you have any Antivirus software running as well? They can give trouble too, especially when they have 'Web Security' active.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

sm6fhz

Hi Kriss.
I have totally turned off the AVG Anti Virus as well. No change.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Dick

Hi Ingolf,

For some reason I 'overlooked' the log in your initial post.
Sorry. Must have been a ‘senior moment’ :-)

Anyway the log shows this below which looks like a repeating routine (loop) looking for data from the server:
19:20:46.970: Radio V3ServerReader> PurgeAll
19:20:46.970: Radio V3ServerReader> Previous HDR
19:20:46.970: Radio V3ServerReader> Sanity: 00000000
19:20:46.971: Radio V3ServerReader> Format: 0
19:20:46.971: Radio V3ServerReader> Checksum: 0
19:20:46.972: Radio V3ServerReader> Message size: 0
19:20:46.972: Radio V3ServerReader> Size in bytes: 0
19:20:46.972: Radio V3ServerReader> -
19:20:46.972: Radio V3ServerReader> FIONREAD: 0
19:20:46.973: Radio V3ServerReader> Pending: 0
19:20:46.973: Radio V3ServerReader> -
19:20:46.973: Radio V3ServerReader> -

Just tried it myself (again) and I get the same behavior (Start buttonis greyed but no signal) and my log looks the same as yours.
Checking the network shows that when the Start button is pressed a connection is opened (ESTABLISHED) to the server but after some time (20 seconds?) the port is closed (CLOSE-WAIT).

So I guess there is nothing wrong with your nor with my setup as (at least with me) it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn’t.

Let’s see what Simon has to say about this.

Cheers,
Dick

Looks very much like the data’s ‘bursting’ – do you have any Wi-Fi in the link? Version 3.0.18 has UDP support which works much better when there’s W-Fi / Wireless links about.

SDR-Console v3 refuses to start remote radios, it just hangs. See attached screenshot. Same for both v3.16 and v3.17. Forced closing and restart of SDR-Console is the only way out.
Same for local my v3-server (on my internal network) as well for external servers. I can connect OK to the servers, see the radios available, but not start a radio.
The screenshots attached are from KA1GJU and Kongsfjord SDR server connection.
I have disabled the firewall in the computer used (win7), no change. I have also tried to find anything in my router that may stop data packages from flowing. No change at all.
Where should I look for a solution?
Screenshots and logfile attached.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

jdow

No attachment.
{^_^}

On 20191203 02:18:31, sm6fhz wrote:
Hi Dick.
I can also connect alright, but not start a radio. That is the problem.
I do not understand what the log file says. It is attached so you can have a look at it and tell me what the fault is :-)
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Stephen Matthias

PayPal has a new setup for paying for things.  It were a snap before.  How do I send money to Simon through PayPal?  PayPal does not accept Simon's email address.  I don't know how to sign on to Groups.io either.  - bewildered

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 6:29 PM jdow <jdow@...> wrote:
No attachment.
{^_^}

On 20191203 02:18:31, sm6fhz wrote:
> Hi Dick.
> I can also connect alright, but not start a radio. That is the problem.
> I do not understand what the log file says. It is attached so you can have a
> look at it and tell me what the fault is :-)
> 73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

sm6fhz

Hi Joline.
It is funny, I can see the attachments in my initial posting. Both in the mail resumé received and by logging into Groups.io:
https://sdr-radio.groups.io/g/main/message/51693
Dick, PA2015, made the same comment, no attachments. Does it not show all the time for everyone?
They are there, alright. From the very initial posting in this thread ;-)
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

sm6fhz

Hi Simon.
Yes, initially there was a WiFi link from the router to the target listening PC.
I have also replaced that link by a Ethernet cable from the target listening PC to the Netgear GS105E switch where the server PC, the radios (2 pcs) and the router are connected.
I still have the same problem in this case as well.
I think the problem is related to something outside the SDR-Server and SDR-Console, but I just can't find it. My guess would be something firewall related, but I can not locate the cause.
That is why I turn to this forum and it's deep eternal knowledge base!
I hope I can get some guidance in the right direction from here.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Stephen Matthias

Windows 7 is out of date, isn't it?  I have Windows 10 and occasionally it will freeze when using remote radios.

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 3:29 AM sm6fhz <ingolf.fhz@...> wrote:
Hi all.
SDR-Console v3 refuses to start remote radios, it just hangs. See attached screenshot. Same for both v3.16 and v3.17. Forced closing and restart of SDR-Console is the only way out.
Same for local my v3-server (on my internal network) as well for external servers. I can connect OK to the servers, see the radios available, but not start a radio.
The screenshots attached are from KA1GJU and Kongsfjord SDR server connection.
I have disabled the firewall in the computer used (win7), no change. I have also tried to find anything in my router that may stop data packages from flowing. No change at all.
Where should I look for a solution?
Screenshots and logfile attached.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Attachments:

Dick

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 06:20 AM, sm6fhz wrote:

Dick, PA2015, made the same comment, no attachments. Does it not show all the
time for everyone?
They are there, alright. From the very initial posting in this thread ;-)
As I mentioned in https://sdr-radio.groups.io/g/main/message/51705 I just overlooked them.
They are there for me too, both on Groups webpage as in the mail.
So, I just had a senior moment. Sorry.

73, Dick, PA2015

Dick

Edited

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 11:19 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

Looks very much like the data’s ‘bursting’ – do you have any Wi-Fi in
the link? Version 3.0.18 has UDP support which works much better when
there’s W-Fi / Wireless links about.
In my case (Win 10 up-to-date SDR-C v3.0.17) the laptop I used to try this was using Wi-Fi.
Does that explain why it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't (using the same remote radio ka1gju.crabdance.com::50101 )?
At this right moment (09:24 UTC) it works fine.

Cheers,
Dick

jdow

I suspect that this header line can get tweaked:

Change the link to <https://SDR-Radio.groups.io/g/main/sub> and see if it works. Otherwise go to https://SDR-Radio.groups.io/g/main and follow your nose. Worst case go to https://groups.io and search for SDR-Radio. Then follow your nose.

That initial clue is from the message headers. On Thunderbird you can use control-U to see the raw message. Or from an open message use the menu "View->Headers->All". That is where a lot of mailing list information gets stored. It's painful to read. But, the headers alone and even more the whole raw message are WONDERFUL for checking the potential veracity of a suspicious email. (Search for "http" and see if there is a message with an address WAY off the purported message site.)

{^_^}

On 20191203 21:06:04, Stephen Matthias wrote:
PayPal has a new setup for paying for things.  It were a snap before.  How do I send money to Simon through PayPal?  PayPal does not accept Simon's email address.  I don't know how to sign on to Groups.io either.  - bewildered
On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 6:29 PM jdow <jdow@... <mailto:jdow@...>> wrote:
No attachment.
{^_^}