SDR Console 3 Spectrum background colour

Simon Brown

Hi Barry,

The background is black (or at least a grey gradient) for all schemes.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of K3EUI Barry
Sent: 12 October 2021 13:14
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] SDR Console 3 Spectrum background color

I am new to SDR  (SDRplay duo) and am learning how to use SDR Console 3.

I am particularly interested in decoding sound card based digital modes on HF bands.
The hardware/software is amazing in its ability to see and pick out weak signals.
TU  to the developers!

When I try to take a high resolution image of the spectra window, I see the variety of colors I can choose from.
But they all show a dark background color.

Is there a color scheme (for the spectrum, not the waterfall) that allows the user to change the BACKGROUND color to something light?

I just can't find the color scheme that is simple, clear, and hi contrast.
I kind of remember SDR Console 2  (a few years back) had a choice of white background in spectrum window.

TU for suggestions,
Barry  K3EUI   Philadelphia region
K3euibarry@...

K3EUI Barry

Hello Simon
First, I want to thank you for all of the extremely powerful software you have offered to the ham community.
You've made so many amateurs happy with easy to use MENU options, and uncluttered screens.

A few years back I cut my teeth on Console 2 and a simple SDRplay1.
In fact, a few QST images on articles I wrote came from that combination.
SDRuno is overwhelming at first glance, when you just look at the entire monitor screen.
Too many choices - all visible all the time.
I end up closing windows after I set the parameter - perhaps that is the way you are intended to use the app.
But the contrast in the spectrum window is still not to my liking (in SDRuno).

SDR Console 3  latest version
I do have Console 3  working beautifully with SDRplay duo.
It was fun last night to explore the 2m band, and after clicking on a few weak signals, heard FM repeaters from over a hundred miles from my QTH  (near Philadelphia PA).  then I listened in to the aircraft band (122-130 MHz) and heard all kinds of planes on AM.  Wow...  that was fun.  Then I tuned to 80 meters and wow....  saw all of the band on one screen.  Then, you can so easily "zoom in" on the signals you want to explore in more detail.
I love it!

My strange request:
In terms of the "background" color in the spectrum view: I am thinking that magazines need to have high-contrast images in publications like QST.  The best I see with Console 3 is still way too little contrast in the spectrum window. The background color is still too dark for me.
I'm not talking about the WF.

So could there be an option (I recall there was in Console 2) to make the background (on spectrum) white, or a very light color, to emphasize the contrast with the spectrum line  (I like the fill in option) in dark blue.

That would be my "wish list" to make the program more friendly for publication.
We usually are not impressed with "background" colors.

73
Barry Feierman  k3eui
k3euibarry at gmail.com

Simon Brown

Hi Barry,

There are plenty of screenshots of consoles in magazines such as RadCom, these screenshots have dark backgrounds. Supporting a light background in the Spectrum can be done but there really must be a sound reason for this such as the user’s eyesight.

At present I’m hoping to finish the V3,1 project this year.

k3euibarry at gmail.com

K3EUI Barry

Hello again Simon

I would be SO happy to see a simple choice of three options for "background" on the spectrum window:

1)  Present option  -  dark grey
2)  Pure white background or very light grey  with the dB values grid in a darker grey
3) Very light blue background

Obviously some choices of background and spectrum color would clash.
I note some of the colors are very flashy - cool to look at but not so suitable for publication.
I'm looking for something simple with high contast.

Am I remembering correclty that Console V2  did have options for background color on the spectrum?
Maybe I am thinking of a different ap I've used in the past.
But I did submit a few articles to QST over the past ten years which had a better contrast than what I can now get with Console 3   (And SDRuno which is even worse).

with appreciation for all that you do to make these apps look so good and work so well,

Barry Feierman  k3eui
Philadelphia PA  USA
k3euibarry at gmail.com

Siegfried Jackstien

what can be a higher contrast as black and white??

or do you want it reversed (white background and dark lines)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

ps simon ... could you "reverse" only rx and tx pane lower part?? would make a nice "dark" mode then

k3euibarry at gmail.com

K3EUI Barry

Wow....  how did you do that?

It's pretty close to what I would pick  (for publication).

I'd pick a very light or white background (spectrum, not WF)
and then pick BLUE  and  "fill"  for the spectrum line.

I have no issue with any of the multitude of WF colors.

HOW did you get the white background?
Is there a  "reverse" or  "negative" for the spectrum?

I have some like this from a few years back using Console 2.x  but I do not see any option for a light background color in Console 3.1

Again-  a small request.  Nothing critical.

Barry  k3eui

Simon Brown

Hi just reversed colours in a screenshot – photoshop or ‘owt like that.

It's pretty close to what I would pick  (for publication).

I'd pick a very light or white background (spectrum, not WF)
and then pick BLUE  and  "fill"  for the spectrum line.

I have no issue with any of the multitude of WF colors.

HOW did you get the white background?
Is there a  "reverse" or  "negative" for the spectrum?

I have some like this from a few years back using Console 2.x  but I do not see any option for a light background color in Console 3.1

Again-  a small request.  Nothing critical.

Barry  k3eui

Jim Smith G0OFE

Actually.. I wouldnt say no to a Dark Mode on Console. Every other software I use on here runs in dark mode if it's available, find it more comfortable on the eyes.

================================
Need help with SDR Console? If you have a problem:
Go to https://www.sdr-radio.com/support
Please follow instructions in that link.
===================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

k3euibarry at gmail.com

Attachments:

Mag loop Simon

Jim

Re read your last post.. rather conflicting.

Simon g0zen

Siegfried Jackstien

jim ... like this?

simon ... THAT is how "black" mode or dark mode should look like (not exactly .. played a bit with just inverting a few things and not complete screen)

super relaxing view in the evening :-)

dg9bfc sigi

k3euibarry at gmail.com

Attachments:

jdow

No, you likely would not. All the other colors would become problems for lacking contrast. It's not as simple as you think ot change it all.

{^_^}

k3euibarry at gmail.com

Attachments:

Screenshot-2021-10-14-192244_edit.jpg

Jim Smith G0OFE

Yes Sigi... exactly that

================================

k3euibarry at gmail.com

Attachments:

Attachments:

Mag loop Simon

Jim

What i was getting at was you said dark mode was good, but didn’t want on sdrc??

Or did i read it all wrong?? Possibly so as getting to be an old €€%! Now!

Simon g0zen moving to Falmouth soon.

Zacharias Liangas

Ok what's this owt?
Hi just reversed colours in a screenshot – photoshop or ‘owt like that

jdow

I translate it as "stuff like that". I see that online slang dictionaries suggest "anything like that."

{^_^}

On 20211014 14:19:18, Zacharias Liangas via groups.io wrote:
Ok what's this owt?
Hi just reversed colours in a screenshot – photoshop or ‘owt like that

Siegfried Jackstien

yes i know the sliders need to be changed a bit (knobs back to grey) ... it was just to show "roughly" how a dark mode would look like ... and why i wrote "not exactly"

greetz sigi dg9bfc

k3euibarry at gmail.com

Attachments:

Screenshot-2021-10-14-192244_edit.jpg

jdow

Unfortunately for an MFC based project, which seems to be loosely the case here, changing control colors from the control's default is often not possible without modifying (subclassing) the controls to include color setting features.

"Obviously" Simon has done this to give his program the look it currently has. How bad will it be to change the whole program's color palette once the new palette is defined? And how hard will it be to define a nicely working new palette?

Is this something Simon should do for 3.1 or perhaps for 3.2 or later? If it takes too much time away from what he has planned already what does that do with his intended 3.1 release this year?

{^_^}

k3euibarry at gmail.com

Attachments:

Screenshot-2021-10-14-192244_edit.jpg

Jim Smith G0OFE

Yes, I do suspect that a dark mode UI on Console would not be a trivial task.

Hence I consider it as a "nice to have" but not essential.

k3euibarry at gmail.com

Attachments:

Screenshot-2021-10-14-192244_edit.jpg

Attachments: