S Meter #poll

Siegfried Jackstien

switch tzo dbm ...

next to analog meter you find a button "scale"

there you can select dbm dbuv or s units

hth

dg9bfc sigi

Am 15.09.2019 um 17:22 schrieb terry murphy via Groups.Io:

I get the SNR meter and the DBM meter, but not the S meter.  What am I not doing?

de W6leo

Terry W6LEO

Thank you!

Donald Rasmussen

Analog meter with user offsets for the low end threshold and high end max reading (for calibration) would be the cats's meow!

de Wb8yqj Don
Carlsbad, Ca. USA

Mark Cayton <mcayton@...>

Analog.  It's significantly easier to read at a quick glance, and in fact doesn't even need to be directly looked at to get useful info (peripheral vision is our friend).  That's why race cars use analog gauges - the driver is so busy with other demands on his attention that he really doesn't have time to spend absorbing (and deciphering) digital data...a quick glance tells him within a couple of percent all of the info he's looking for, without having to precisely correlate any particular needle to any particular scale.

If I recall, Corvette experimented for a very short time with digital speedometer and tachometer but quickly abandoned that path.  It just took too much mental focus for the driver to decipher the data when lots of other things were demanding his attention.

Every aircraft instrument panel has analog gauges, I can't think of any that only have digital readouts. Lol, what a nightmare that would be in a high-workload situation!

For those who are complaining that an analog gauge takes up too much room, I have no idea what they're complaining about because nearly every other radio ever made all have an S-meter somewhere on the front panel, and our "front panel" effectively consists of a full-size monitor offering much more usable real estate than any previous generation radio.
--
Mark  K1LSB

Donald Rasmussen

These are the offsets I put on the SDR# Plugin meter...

Simon Brown

Very, very good points.

There are some good Android compass apps (and I’ve written one for Windows). This type of display is interesting, when I have time I may investigate further as it could also be used for more than just the signal strength, for example it could also show noise, history etc.

[...]

Nicholas Shaxted

Based on many years work designing, ahem, “commercial” displays I would expect NOT to see any Purple or Lime Green used in the colouring scheme.

A large amount of Full White is also distracting and tiring.

Nature’s colours and restraint being the order of the day and prioritizing through colour the items you wish to be displayed.

Obviously font choice is another matter.

Nick – g4ogi

[...]

Joe F. KC8RKL

Hello Simon-

Perhaps these have been suggested previously, if so I'm also in favor:

1) A scrolling horizontal or vertical (configurable, optional) multicolor ribbon representing signal strength over time (configurable length of time). This could be either integral with the S-meter (top/bottom/right/left) or an optional separate resizeble window.
2) A histogram or X-Y plot of signal strength vs. time (configurable length of time). This could be an optional resizable window.

Both of the above might either clear and re-paint with a 'large' change of frequency or possibly continue plotting for 'small' frequency tweaks (optional setting).

Don't know how well received or how feasible these are, but we can daydream, can't we?

73,

Joe F. KC8RKL

p.s. My vote was for analog

Siegfried Jackstien

we have signal history .... that IS a horizontal moving chart showing signal over time

you can export that data as csv file (and draw a chart in excel/calc/whateversoft)

only thing what i would like is ... signal history should have SAME SCALE as the s-meter

if i export signal it is values below zero (dbm) ... i can better work with positive values (dbuv) ...

so ... simon ... can you change the signal history (and export) that it shows same scale as the signal meter or make it configurable in the export options setting to show dbm or dbuv???

either synced with the signal meter (show same scale and also export those numbers) .... or a config box in the export options setting where you can select if you wanna export dbuv or dbm value

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 18.09.2019 um 12:57 schrieb Joe F. KC8RKL:

[...]

Like this?

Perhaps these have been suggested previously, if so I'm also in favor:

1) A scrolling horizontal or vertical (configurable, optional) multicolor ribbon representing signal strength over time (configurable length of time). This could be either integral with the S-meter (top/bottom/right/left) or an optional separate resizeble window.
2) A histogram or X-Y plot of signal strength vs. time (configurable length of time). This could be an optional resizable window.

Both of the above might either clear and re-paint with a 'large' change of frequency or possibly continue plotting for 'small' frequency tweaks (optional setting).

Don't know how well received or how feasible these are, but we can daydream, can't we?

73,

Joe F. KC8RKL

p.s. My vote was for analog

Siegfried Jackstien

change scale to dbuv so we see positive numbers PLEASE

dg9bfc sigi

Am 18.09.2019 um 14:07 schrieb Simon Brown:

Like this?

Perhaps these have been suggested previously, if so I'm also in favor:

1) A scrolling horizontal or vertical (configurable, optional) multicolor ribbon representing signal strength over time (configurable length of time). This could be either integral with the S-meter (top/bottom/right/left) or an optional separate resizeble window.
2) A histogram or X-Y plot of signal strength vs. time (configurable length of time). This could be an optional resizable window.

Both of the above might either clear and re-paint with a 'large' change of frequency or possibly continue plotting for 'small' frequency tweaks (optional setting).

Don't know how well received or how feasible these are, but we can daydream, can't we?

73,

Joe F. KC8RKL

p.s. My vote was for analog

Joe F. KC8RKL

Doh! Yes- didn't realize the feature is already there!