Running two near-identical SDR Instance configurations; a way to easily tell between them?

Cormac EI4HQ

Hi All,

A question that may lead to a feature request. I continuously run two instances of SDR Console to support utility listening (Navtex on 490 & 518kHz, two receivers in each instance, each instance is on a separate antenna). I run an Airspy HF+ in one instance and an Airspy HF+ Discovery in the other. Thing is, it's quite hard to tell from the main SDR Console display:
  • which instance is running which receiver as both an Airspy HF+ and HF+ Discovery are identified by SDR Console in the Window title as "Airspy HF+"
  • There's no indication and so no easy way to tell which SDR Console instance is connected to which antenna
Attached pic will, I expect, make clear my issue. My question; is there an easy way using SDR Console's existing features to "annotate" the main SDR Console display in some way that's visually obvious so I can "highlight" that SDR Console instance 1 is a certain configuration and instance 2 another e.g. "Airspy HF+ on Ant1 (NE+SW LoG)" and "Airspy HF+Discovery on Ant2 (NW+SE LoG)"? I'm currently using paper post-it notes but they keep falling off the monitor :-)

Thanks.

Allan Isaacs

Why not just use two different colour options?

That would be visually obvious Cormac.

Allan G3PIY

[...]

_._,_._,_

Gisle Vanem

Probably possible using different profiles (but I do not understand how).

But you could tweak the TitleBar of each SDR-Console instance (or separate disk copies).
Using e.g. Title Bar Changer Studio:
https://download.cnet.com/Title-Bar-Changer-Studio/3000-2094_4-10776428.html

(can change the icon too. 30 days trial)

or Window Title Changer:
http://www.softoware.org/apps/download-window-title-changer-for-windows.html
(freeware)

jdow

All warranties are void. Certainly all ability to properly debug based on title line information is gone.

{o.o}

On 20210521 01:50:44, Gisle Vanem wrote:

Probably possible using different profiles (but I do not understand how).

But you could tweak the TitleBar of each SDR-Console instance (or separate disk copies).
Using e.g. Title Bar Changer Studio:
https://download.cnet.com/Title-Bar-Changer-Studio/3000-2094_4-10776428.html

(can change the icon too. 30 days trial)

or Window Title Changer:
http://www.softoware.org/apps/download-window-title-changer-for-windows.html
(freeware)

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

If you open the definitions window, highlight the SDR you wish to rename, then hit edit, you can give it a name that will appear atop the screen.
Works the same way in the server setup, for I have numerous SDR's on a server and some have two or more different antennas.

73 Kriss KA1GJU
Home of the Super Station SDRC Servers

Cormac EI4HQ

Really appreciate the suggestions everyone. Prize goes to Kriss; I didn't realise SDR names could be edited. It provides an elegant solution to the problem; my SDR Console instance window title bars now clearly indicate what SDR is in use and what antenna is connected to it. Thanks Kriss!

Noel

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 08:49 AM, Cormac EI4HQ wrote:
currently using paper post-it notes but they keep falling off the monitor :-)
Have you tried Tippex? :-)

--
Noel

Clacton, southeast England