Topics

RTL-SDR on HF

Chris van Lint

Hi,

Is anyone using the RTL-SDR Blog V3 on HF.  Instructions from differing sources are a bit confusing.  The RTL-SDR website says that there is no need to modify the dongle i.e. connect the jumper.  The SDR radio website on the other hand seems to state that the mod must be applied.  Can someone please advise what the correct procedure is for the latest V3 SDR Console.

Thanks,

Chris

Ken Sejkora

Good morning, Chris.

I have successfully used RTL-SDR Version 3 on HF frequencies.   I recall the jumper modification was needed to use the device in the LF region, below about 200 kHz.  I have used it to listen to stations in the VLF and LF region both with and without the jumper in place, and did notice only a slight increase in performance down around 25 kHz.

I recall the normal factory configuration has a small SMD inductor in place in the antenna line, and the modification was to *remove* the SMD inductor.

Good luck.

Max

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 06:25 AM, Chris van Lint wrote:
Is anyone using the RTL-SDR Blog V3 on HF.  Instructions from differing sources are a bit confusing.  The RTL-SDR website says that there is no need to modify the dongle i.e. connect the jumper.  The SDR radio website on the other hand seems to state that the mod must be applied.  Can someone please advise what the correct procedure is for the latest V3 SDR Console.

Chris

Don't know where you say SDR Radio website talks about any physical jumper? I don't see anything about that on here:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/rtl-dongles

There's no physical mod needed. Just follow the instructions to install zadig.exe then you are good to go. I've got one (the RTL-SDR V3 shown in picture at top of the page above). Works perfectly fine. There's an option to select HF mode in SDRC once the RTL is installed as a Receiver.

Hope it helps.

Max

Ken Sejkora

Here’s a link to the modification of the RTL-SDR Blog Version 3 dongles for “improved” LF/MF performance.  Scroll downward about 1/3 of the way until you see the image of the circuit board.  Removing inductor L13 will disable the Bias-Tee voltage available from the dongle.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-blog-v-3-dongles-user-guide/

Some of the non-Blog dongles that use the RTL2832U chip had a modification to install a jumper to allow for direct sampling.  Performance was relatively poor with a lot of imaging and spurious spike.  The improved dongles from RTL-SDR Blog did not require the direct-sampling modification.

Good Luck.

Ken Sejkora – WBØOCV

East Falmouth, MA

[...]

jdow

www.rtl-sdr.com is where you want to look. Start here.

{^_^}

On 20210329 03:22:06, Max wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all of those who have responded.

Joanne, I do try to search for an answer on the web before I post on the group.  However in this case I was just a bit confused with what might have been conflicting information.  On the SDR Console website  https://www.sdr-radio.com/rtl-dongles, the following statement can be found:

"HF Mode
Also known as Direct Sampling, to receive HF the tuner is disabled and the IF mode of the RTL2832 is activated. You must modify the dongle, more information available here [link]."
You must select the correct HF Mode option, see Options below."
Admittedly if I follow the link, I am told "RTL-SDR Blog V3 Note: Note that our RTL-SDR Blog V3 already has the direct samping mod done and built in, so no hardware modifications are required for those units! Just see the V3 users guide for information on activating direct sampling mode".

I was a bit confused by this, I as do not know which statement precedes or supersedes what was on the SDR-C page and the RTL-SDR page only showed an example using SDR#. All is clear now and it is working fine. Thanks again to all.

www.rtl-sdr.com is where you want to look. Start here.

{^_^}

On 20210329 03:22:06, Max wrote:
On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 06:25 AM, Chris van Lint wrote:
Is anyone using the RTL-SDR Blog V3 on HF.  Instructions from differing sources are a bit confusing.  The RTL-SDR website says that there is no need to modify the dongle i.e. connect the jumper.  The SDR radio website on the other hand seems to state that the mod must be applied.  Can someone please advise what the correct procedure is for the latest V3 SDR Console.

jdow

Go with the link I provided. For rev 1 or 2 of the rtl-sdr.com dongle Simon's is right. It is not up to date for the (IMAO "overly cute") Rev 3. They've pushed the dongles further than their basic concept is worth. I prefer something that is designed to work the way I use it rather than relying on a side effect of a side effect of a side effect device designed to juice tomatoes efficiently. (I have several rtlsdr dongles. Most sit unused. But I do have three in use right now. One is for my background music. Two are for my system of thermal monitors around the house. That is using only one level of side effect operating in relatively benign conditions. (Yeah, LA means high signal levels. But where I am the one I want is on a par with the highest level signals. So I simply reduce the gain on the dongle.) Using those toys on HF is pushing things too far, especially given 20 meters is in a Nyquist null.

{^_^}