From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Larry Horlick via groups.io <llhorlick@...>
Sent: 01 July 2022 15:04
To: main@sdr-radio.groups.io <main@sdr-radio.groups.io>
Subject: [SDR-Radio] RDS decoding

Does the b/w filter selection have any effect on RDS decoding?

Larry

Larry Horlick

Got it...

Are there any "tweaks"  I can make to improve weak signal RDS decoding?

lh

On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 11:38 AM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:
Yes.

Watch the display, you'll need 150kHz or so for a decent decode. In the top left window look at the RDS 'bumps' at 57kHz, watch the display as you adjust the bandwidth.

Does the b/w filter selection have any effect on RDS decoding?

Larry

Attachments:

Simon Brown

Let's start with a screenshot. To be honest there's not much - if you don't see the RDS / RBDS signal you'll not decode.

Does the b/w filter selection have any effect on RDS decoding?

Larry

Attachments:

Larry Horlick

I'm OK with that answer, Simon. Thanks...

lh

Let's start with a screenshot. To be honest there's not much - if you don't see the RDS / RBDS signal you'll not decode.

Does the b/w filter selection have any effect on RDS decoding?

Larry

Attachments:

Larry,

Some say that SDR Console's own decoder is very sensitive.

Does the b/w filter selection have any effect on RDS decoding?

Larry

Attachments:

Herman Wijnants

Hi Simon,

As an avid FMDXer since the nineties I can affirm you are right. I often check SDRC recordings with RDSSpy running and they are on par.
Sometimes SDRC gets a correct PI and RDSSpy doesn't and vice versa. RDSSpy used to be better than SDRC RDS decoding but not so any longer.
I love SDRC for FMDX.

73

Herman

Op vrijdag 1 juli 2022 om 20:15:04 CEST schreef Simon Brown <simon@...>:

Larry,

Some say that SDR Console's own decoder is very sensitive.

Does the b/w filter selection have any effect on RDS decoding?

Larry

Attachments:

Larry Horlick

I'm not suggesting otherwise, SImon. It works very well, indeed. However, being new to the SDR platform, it's always in the back of my mind that I've missed some important setting.

Larry

On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 3:45 PM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:
Larry,

Some say that SDR Console's own decoder is very sensitive.

Does the b/w filter selection have any effect on RDS decoding?

Larry

Attachments:

Paul

RDS decoding in Console is very good but always check reception a few times from recordings, I've lost count of the times I've played back a short section of reception and the PI code has popped up only once in 3 or 4 loops of the same recording. This has been observed not only on Console but Sharp too so it's always a good idea to replay the same bit of reception a few times in case you get lucky.

I'd also suggest running RDS Spy in conjunction with the VAC output because that will grab PIs when Console doesn't. Asymmetric filtering is another critical component to RDS decoding if there's QRM to one side of the wanted signal.

One other trick that very occasionally causes a PI to pop up is to quickly switch between preset bandwidths like 150, 175 and 192kHz.

Paul
G7PUV
G9PUV

RX-888 MKII, Elad FDM-S3, RTLSDR820.
Icom ICR8500, SDRPlay RSP1A, A*rspy.
HS Publications D100 TV-DX receiver.
Sony XDR F1, TEF6686 tuner, XDR-GTK.
LNA4ALL, SV1AFN & CCW Multicouplers.
W4KMA 18-100MHz custom Log Periodic.
Wellbrook ALA1530AL1 active HF loop.
Korner 19ele BII, Korner 19ele BIII.

www.youtube.com/Aceblaggard

24 hour digimode log
https://bit.ly/3xxUQA2

Larry Horlick

I echo your observations, Paul. I have found EXACTLY what you describe.

Larry

On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 5:21 PM Paul <paul@...> wrote:
[...]

Eric Inloes

Another factor is the signal level of the RDS signal. It sees to vary all over the place. Sometimes it requires an ultra strong signal to a decode.

No idea why there isn't a recommended level for it already.