Topics

QA-100 Eshailsat and external radio tracking - an idea...

Pedro M.J. Wyns (on Dell XPS)

The external radio tracking function is nice to use SDR-Console as a panadaptor for an external transceiver.

It would even get better if it would be possible to enter a fixed shift frequency between the two systems.  This way it would be possible to use SDR-Console as a receiver on 3cm downlink and have a 2400 MHz transverter system based on another radio tracking the uplink frequency.

Just a hint :-)

Pedro ON7WP-C5WP-AA9HX

Siegfried Jackstien

that should work with some math and setting the right offset in sdr console

say you receive with a normal lnb with 9.75 gig lo

the receive if is 740 megs (rough numbers ... exactly ssb is 739.6-8)

in console set the tranverter offset of rx to 1.66 gig

now rx should show your real tx frequency of 2.4 gig and you can use sync rx and tx

but now the transceiver gets 2.4 gig on the cat (and i am guessing that you use not a 13cm rig with cat but a 70cm rig with upconverter??)

so then again you have to do some math (2.4 gig - transverter offset)

if your upconverter has a local og 1968 (my year of birth grin) ... then add your 432 megs and you have the 2.4 gig

simon can you add such setup boxes to add and substract if frequencies for up and downlink independently??? and like matthias asked then display the different frequencies ???

say in the tx field a set box for tx offset (1968 as example) .... and in rx field or better say transverter offset in rx you set 1.66 (to get to the 2.4 to match tx frequency) ... and add a "display offset" of 8.1 to display real rx of 10.5

then tx field would show 2.4 (but send 432 over cat and you can show that real tx qrg in small numbers in the tx field ... shows same numbers as the big numbers if offset is zero)

and rx field would show 10.5 (but sdr receiver is actually tuned to 740)

and you could say sync rx and tx and both should stay in sync

rx (in sdr console) thinks it is 2.4 (1.66+740) but displays 10.5 (the display offset 8.1 added)

tx box gets 2.4 from rx sync and sends 432 via cat (1968 upconverter offset)

and i am sure simon gets the idea and we soon will have a new kit to play with :-)

greetz

sigi dg9bfc

Am 17.02.2019 um 11:42 schrieb pedro.wyns@...:

The external radio tracking function is nice to use SDR-Console as a panadaptor for an external transceiver.

It would even get better if it would be possible to enter a fixed shift frequency between the two systems.  This way it would be possible to use SDR-Console as a receiver on 3cm downlink and have a 2400 MHz transverter system based on another radio tracking the uplink frequency.

Just a hint :-)

Pedro ON7WP-C5WP-AA9HX

Siegfried Jackstien

hmmm

rx 10.49 ... downconverted to 740 ... if you set rx offset to 9.75 (lnb local) rx would show correct

but for sync with a 70cm rig for eshail you have to set the offset to 10.058 or so

and then you rig gets the right frequency on tx but your real tx is not shown

that is why i thought on the rx side we need two offset boxes (transverter offset and display offset ...) ... and on the tx side another box for the upmixer (set to 1968 for 70cm rig as example)

greetz

sigi

Am 17.02.2019 um 11:42 schrieb pedro.wyns@...:

The external radio tracking function is nice to use SDR-Console as a panadaptor for an external transceiver.

It would even get better if it would be possible to enter a fixed shift frequency between the two systems.  This way it would be possible to use SDR-Console as a receiver on 3cm downlink and have a 2400 MHz transverter system based on another radio tracking the uplink frequency.

Just a hint :-)

Pedro ON7WP-C5WP-AA9HX

Siegfried Jackstien

and now do all those calculations for a moving sat with doppler correction :-)

Am 17.02.2019 um 11:42 schrieb pedro.wyns@...:

The external radio tracking function is nice to use SDR-Console as a panadaptor for an external transceiver.

It would even get better if it would be possible to enter a fixed shift frequency between the two systems.  This way it would be possible to use SDR-Console as a receiver on 3cm downlink and have a 2400 MHz transverter system based on another radio tracking the uplink frequency.

Just a hint :-)

Pedro ON7WP-C5WP-AA9HX

Mike

Gentlemen, I've still this "challenge". I can get SDR console in sync with my external radio (FT-100 used as TX on 432MHZ), but display is my TX frequency 432.050.
I want to keep the RX frequency on 10489.550 (example CW beacon), track the FT-100 on 432MHz. I'm using Omnirig. Receiver: RTL Stick+SDR console.

Setup (CW-beacon frequency example [kHz]):
RX: 10489.550,000 <- should be shown in console
LO: 9750.000,000
IF: 739.500,000

TX: 2400.050,000
LO: 1968.000,000
IF: 432.050,000 <- should be tracked (FT-100)

-----------------------
How can I do this?
-----------------------

Thank you, best regards, Mike

At the moment - you can't.

Gentlemen, I've still this "challenge". I can get SDR console in sync with my external radio (FT-100 used as TX on 432MHZ), but display is my TX frequency 432.050.
I want to keep the RX frequency on 10489.550 (example CW beacon), track the FT-100 on 432MHz. I'm using Omnirig. Receiver: RTL Stick+SDR console.

Setup (CW-beacon frequency example [kHz]):
RX: 10489.550,000 <- should be shown in console
LO: 9750.000,000
IF: 739.500,000

TX: 2400.050,000
LO: 1968.000,000
IF: 432.050,000 <- should be tracked (FT-100)

-----------------------
How can I do this?
-----------------------

Thank you, best regards, Mike

Guy Tackaert

I am also trying to synchronise (Track) my uplink transceiver with the 'External Radio' feature. Would love the possibility to input large 'Fixed offsets' (GHz) .
Now there is a message saying (SDRExtRadioSynch) 'Enter an integer between 0 and 10000' (Hz). Maybe Omnirig is the problem ?

Tom M0LTE

Omnirig will never work for this until it supports a 64 bit frequency field. Don’t hold your breath.

I have a bit of middleware which solves this. Uses SDR Console’s CAT interface, in conjunction with VSPE. Still fairly alpha, but works great.

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 15:11, Guy Tackaert <on4cbn@...> wrote:
I am also trying to synchronise (Track) my uplink transceiver with the 'External Radio' feature. Would love the possibility to input large 'Fixed offsets' (GHz) .
Now there is a message saying (SDRExtRadioSynch) 'Enter an integer between 0 and 10000' (Hz). Maybe Omnirig is the problem ?

Siegfried Jackstien

simon has to substact the offset ... and send the qrg via cat (that is then 70cm as an example)

so .... no need for omnirig to use the 10 gigs (and i am guessing your middleware does a similar thingy ... not?)

greets sigi

Am 28.10.2019 um 15:19 schrieb Tom M0LTE:

Omnirig will never work for this until it supports a 64 bit frequency field. Don’t hold your breath.

I have a bit of middleware which solves this. Uses SDR Console’s CAT interface, in conjunction with VSPE. Still fairly alpha, but works great.

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 15:11, Guy Tackaert <on4cbn@...> wrote:
I am also trying to synchronise (Track) my uplink transceiver with the 'External Radio' feature. Would love the possibility to input large 'Fixed offsets' (GHz) .
Now there is a message saying (SDRExtRadioSynch) 'Enter an integer between 0 and 10000' (Hz). Maybe Omnirig is the problem ?

Tom M0LTE

Yeah, my tool has a fixed -9750MHz offset, plus variable fine tuning with the arrow keys to exactly match your TX and RX frequencies as things warm up / cool down.

SDR Console’s CAT works with the displayed frequency. My tool also does bi-directional VFO sync too, so I can tune SDR Console with the rig VFO.

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 21:26, Siegfried Jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve Drury

Thanks for the link tom, but for the non-developers amongst us what do we do with it?

Steve

On 28/10/2019 22:35, Tom M0LTE wrote:
[...]

Writing this up is on my to-do list. Sorry! I’ll post to the group when that’s done.

On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 at 19:19, Steve Drury <steve@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, look forward to it .
Steve