Problem with Adalm-Pluto SDR's USB #adalmpluto

Douglas Pervine

I have a pair of Pluto SDR's and they both are acting up on me.  They randomly connect/disconnect from the host PC.  Additionally, when I attempt to connect to them via ethernet, they often go offline (the ethernet USB dongle lights go out).
I have a solid 5vdc power supply hooked to them (I use the same PS for my RPi 4's with no problems).

I thought maybe the latest firmware was at fault (0.34) but I converted both SDR's to DragonSDR (0.33) and I still have the same problem.

My best guess is the Micro USB connector is failing on both SDR's.  Has anyone else experience this problem?  If so, is it easy to replace the connector?

USB power? Are you using both USB connectors on each device? Using a good, powered hub?

https://www.sdr-radio.com/usb

I have a pair of Pluto SDR's and they both are acting up on me.  They randomly connect/disconnect from the host PC.  Additionally, when I attempt to connect to them via ethernet, they often go offline (the ethernet USB dongle lights go out).
I have a solid 5vdc power supply hooked to them (I use the same PS for my RPi 4's with no problems).

I thought maybe the latest firmware was at fault (0.34) but I converted both SDR's to DragonSDR (0.33) and I still have the same problem.

My best guess is the Micro USB connector is failing on both SDR's.  Has anyone else experience this problem?  If so, is it easy to replace the connector?

Douglas Pervine

When the Pluto is connected to the PC, it's using only the host PC's USB port for communications/power.

When I try to use my Ethernet USB dongle, I have an external 5vdc power supply connected into the 2nd/power connector.
During this configuration, the Pluto doesn't loose power because I'm using the 2nd/power connector, but the Ethernet dongle's link
and activity lights go out and will not go back on unless I cycle power to the Pluto.

John

Doug -

I assuming you are plugging your pluto SDR into the computer and have tried various ports.

Get a copy of rtl_test.exe on your computer, and install it some where convenient.

https://osmocom.org/projects/rtl-sdr/wiki/Rtl-sdr  , or just google rtl_test .

My case I created a rtl_test directory on my C drive:

Key [Widnows]r

 cmd {Enter]

 cd C:\rtl_test

rtl_test -d 0    (This will show lost/dropped data between the computer and your  SDR dongle)

If you get a continuous stream of dropped bytes   try [RESTARTING] your computer.

In my case a second had laptop has and issue starting/communicating with the USB ports.  By restarting after first turning the computer on the communication issue resolves it self  with only a few random drops here and there.

JPH

On 1/9/2022 7:56 AM, Douglas Pervine wrote:
I have a pair of Pluto SDR's and they both are acting up on me.  They randomly connect/disconnect from the host PC.  Additionally, when I attempt to connect to them via ethernet, they often go offline (the ethernet USB dongle lights go out).
I have a solid 5vdc power supply hooked to them (I use the same PS for my RPi 4's with no problems).

I thought maybe the latest firmware was at fault (0.34) but I converted both SDR's to DragonSDR (0.33) and I still have the same problem.

My best guess is the Micro USB connector is failing on both SDR's.  Has anyone else experience this problem?  If so, is it easy to replace the connector?

Roy VE7DH

Douglas, the usb connectors on the Pluto are not of the highest quality and if you do enough connecting/disconnecting you will find they start to fail.

It is a very good idea to always have the second usb power-only connection in use at all times. This helps alleviate a lot of problems.

Also, not all usb cables are equally good as far as the quality of their connectors. Some certainly have a better, more solid fit than others.

And finally, replacing the on-board connectors is not trivial, unless you have very good smd skills and equipment.

regards, Roy

Siegfried Jackstien

in most times replacing the cable helps a lot cause in the cable is the "flexible" (worn out) part of the usb connector

dg9bfc sigi

Am 09.01.2022 um 16:18 schrieb Roy VE7DH:

Douglas, the usb connectors on the Pluto are not of the highest quality and if you do enough connecting/disconnecting you will find they start to fail.

It is a very good idea to always have the second usb power-only connection in use at all times. This helps alleviate a lot of problems.

Also, not all usb cables are equally good as far as the quality of their connectors. Some certainly have a better, more solid fit than others.

And finally, replacing the on-board connectors is not trivial, unless you have very good smd skills and equipment.

regards, Roy

Siegfried Jackstien

how can rtl test help with a pluto?!? pluto is not an rtl dongle!

dg9bfc sigi

Am 09.01.2022 um 15:44 schrieb John:

[...]

Siegfried -

Not familiar with the PLUTO radio but it seems it plug's into a USB  port.

If RTL_test does no work,  then a backup maybe learn how to run WINDOWS MUTT to see if there are I/O errors on the USB port.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/usbcon/how-to-retrieve-information-about-a-usb-device

My 2 Cents.

JPH

TT form microsoft

On 1/9/2022 2:16 PM, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:

[...]

When did rtl_test grow the capability of testing Plutos?
{^_^}

On 20220109 06:44:05, John wrote:

[...]

cedric@...

I only experienced the problem over ethernet, not over USB. After I did the ground mod, the problem went away. But last week I've put a 20 meter network cable instead of a 2 meter one, and the problem is back.

In my case, the problem is triggered by a light in the house with a motion detector. If someone passes by and the light goes on, it seems to trigger some noise/spike on the cable to the pluto and I loose the connection. Only solution is powering off and on the pluto to bring it back.

I was looking at the Pluto+ last week: built-in ethernet, metal casing, better crystal standard. Wondering if it would be more stable.

john rader

The adalm pluto has drivers that has to be installed, go to their web site and read about how to install and access the device.

On 1/9/2022 3:16 PM, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:

[...]

There is a mega boatload of information about Pluto including getting it working in the first place on the web on Analog Devices' pages. You *MUST* have both USB ports supplying power. It should appear as a disk drive, among other things, when you get the setup right with the drivers installed.

{^_^}

On 20220109 12:30:59, John wrote:

[...]

hmm i use my pluto now for over two years with powering from the pc ... you CAN power over the second port

but that is just needed if you want to use the "otg" power from the pluto (example power the ethernet dongle from the pluto or connecting a hub and a usb stick as harddrive etc etc)

in 99% of cases powering from the pc works fine

install the drivers and you are good to go

dg9bfc sigi