Pluto:: Spurious Emissions

Simon Brown

[Forwarded from direct e-mail]

The issue:

SDRconsole produces spurious transmissions with the Pluto, abt +/- 0.5MHz and +/- 1MHz, other softwares like the "Langstone Project" and the "AMSAT_DL QO-100 TRX" do not.

I love to use your software on the QO-100 and I will do so in the future, but I have to be aware of the fact that I violate the international rules for Amateur Radio Operators regarding allowed spurious transmissions.

All the best for the New Year and mni tnx for providing us SDRconsole for free!

73 de HB9DON, Lorenzo

So,

Sigi – any comments? I’m now looking at this.

SDRconsole produces spurious transmissions with the Pluto, abt +/- 0.5MHz and +/- 1MHz, other softwares like the "Langstone Project" and the "AMSAT_DL QO-100 TRX" do not.

I love to use your software on the QO-100 and I will do so in the future, but I have to be aware of the fact that I violate the international rules for Amateur Radio Operators regarding allowed spurious transmissions.

All the best for the New Year and mni tnx for providing us SDRconsole for free!

73 de HB9DON, Lorenzo

So,

Looking at logfiles it may be that the TX FIR filter is not being applied, am now working on this.

Sigi – any comments? I’m now looking at this.

SDRconsole produces spurious transmissions with the Pluto, abt +/- 0.5MHz and +/- 1MHz, other softwares like the "Langstone Project" and the "AMSAT_DL QO-100 TRX" do not.

I love to use your software on the QO-100 and I will do so in the future, but I have to be aware of the fact that I violate the international rules for Amateur Radio Operators regarding allowed spurious transmissions.

All the best for the New Year and mni tnx for providing us SDRconsole for free!

73 de HB9DON, Lorenzo

the pluto does not produce +/- 500 kc or 1 megs spurii ... there ARE spurious emissions ... but they are at least 40 to 42 db below main signal with FULL POWER of the pluto and they are in minimum 52 to 54 db below main signal if you keep the plutos power at around -10 dbm (and add an lna behind the pluto)

i measured about a dozen plutos (all my modded plutos get a test before sending them out and a few were also tested how much spurious signals they send out)

so to be in fcc rules you should keep the power of the pluto low ... then it is safe to use :-)

(if you want 60 db surpression then use -20dbm or lower ... add a 20 db lna to have again the 0dbm that you had before on near full power)

how much distance (in frequency not level) the spurious emissions are ... depends on on what frequency you are txing (the spurii are more or less mixing products)

how much level they are depends on how much power you use, on what frequency and how exact the iq correction did work ... a stable clock helps for a better exact iq correction (imagine the frequency of the main clock changes just a tiny bit WHILE doing the calibration routine!!)

the chips differ a few db ... but just a tiny bit (result after iq calibration is sometimes 40 and sometimes 42 db in fullpower)

a restart of a good warmed up pluto makes another iq calibration that then shows better results in that calibration (and so lower spurious levels)

dg9bfc sigi

ps plusminus 500kc and 1 meg?? i never have seen that!! ... do you use "tx boost" ?!? (that makes things worse and its NOT needed!!)

Am 17.01.2022 um 07:53 schrieb Simon Brown:

So,

Sigi – any comments? I’m now looking at this.

SDRconsole produces spurious transmissions with the Pluto, abt +/- 0.5MHz and +/- 1MHz, other softwares like the "Langstone Project" and the "AMSAT_DL QO-100 TRX" do not.

I love to use your software on the QO-100 and I will do so in the future, but I have to be aware of the fact that I violate the international rules for Amateur Radio Operators regarding allowed spurious transmissions.

All the best for the New Year and mni tnx for providing us SDRconsole for free!

73 de HB9DON, Lorenzo

just made a quick and dirty test ... set rx to 10489.700 and let it there (switched of "sync")

then sent a tune tone 500 kc higher and 1000kc higher (nothing could be seen on transponder!!) the did the same downwards (yes i know i was txing outside band!!)

if there would be spurious signal plus minus 500 kc or 1000 kc i sure would have seen them (i was txing with 20w in a sixfooter!!)

so ... i think its a different thing he sees on his station ... the pluto is clean (normally)

so lets ask some questions ... any switcher used to power a predriver?? (switching psu frequency may mix up with the real frequency)

or is it possible that you used an external reference on your pluto that is not clean (that also may cause unwanted signals)

tx boost engaged??

no ... do not used it!! ... using higher power of the pluto sends out higher spurious signals so using tx boost does not clean up your signal

better use lower power setting (drive 80 to 90 maximum) and add an lna

dg9bfc sigi

Am 17.01.2022 um 08:39 schrieb Simon Brown:

So,

Looking at logfiles it may be that the TX FIR filter is not being applied, am now working on this.

Sigi – any comments? I’m now looking at this.

SDRconsole produces spurious transmissions with the Pluto, abt +/- 0.5MHz and +/- 1MHz, other softwares like the "Langstone Project" and the "AMSAT_DL QO-100 TRX" do not.

I love to use your software on the QO-100 and I will do so in the future, but I have to be aware of the fact that I violate the international rules for Amateur Radio Operators regarding allowed spurious transmissions.

All the best for the New Year and mni tnx for providing us SDRconsole for free!

73 de HB9DON, Lorenzo

Sigi,

There’s a bug in my code…

Sigi – any comments? I’m now looking at this.

SDRconsole produces spurious transmissions with the Pluto, abt +/- 0.5MHz and +/- 1MHz, other softwares like the "Langstone Project" and the "AMSAT_DL QO-100 TRX" do not.

I love to use your software on the QO-100 and I will do so in the future, but I have to be aware of the fact that I violate the international rules for Amateur Radio Operators regarding allowed spurious transmissions.

All the best for the New Year and mni tnx for providing us SDRconsole for free!

73 de HB9DON, Lorenzo

And,

Fixed but I do see a couple of other issues to look at later today.

Sigi – any comments? I’m now looking at this.

SDRconsole produces spurious transmissions with the Pluto, abt +/- 0.5MHz and +/- 1MHz, other softwares like the "Langstone Project" and the "AMSAT_DL QO-100 TRX" do not.

I love to use your software on the QO-100 and I will do so in the future, but I have to be aware of the fact that I violate the international rules for Amateur Radio Operators regarding allowed spurious transmissions.

All the best for the New Year and mni tnx for providing us SDRconsole for free!

73 de HB9DON, Lorenzo

Hmm.. I see another small bug...after a bit of usage the tx buffers get a tiny bit mixed (audio is garbelled.. Sounds rough)
Stop start solves it
Dg9bfc sigi

Am 17.01.2022 14:13 schrieb Simon Brown <simon@...>:

And,

Fixed but I do see a couple of other issues to look at later today.

Sigi – any comments? I’m now looking at this.

SDRconsole produces spurious transmissions with the Pluto, abt +/- 0.5MHz and +/- 1MHz, other softwares like the "Langstone Project" and the "AMSAT_DL QO-100 TRX" do not.

I love to use your software on the QO-100 and I will do so in the future, but I have to be aware of the fact that I violate the international rules for Amateur Radio Operators regarding allowed spurious transmissions.

All the best for the New Year and mni tnx for providing us SDRconsole for free!

73 de HB9DON, Lorenzo

cant wait to have the next version to try :-)

dg9bfc sigi

Am 17.01.2022 um 14:13 schrieb Simon Brown:

And,

Fixed but I do see a couple of other issues to look at later today.

Sigi – any comments? I’m now looking at this.

SDRconsole produces spurious transmissions with the Pluto, abt +/- 0.5MHz and +/- 1MHz, other softwares like the "Langstone Project" and the "AMSAT_DL QO-100 TRX" do not.

I love to use your software on the QO-100 and I will do so in the future, but I have to be aware of the fact that I violate the international rules for Amateur Radio Operators regarding allowed spurious transmissions.

All the best for the New Year and mni tnx for providing us SDRconsole for free!

73 de HB9DON, Lorenzo

Juts looks like one bug fixed but for some reason it no longer transmits at 2.1 MHz and above :( . May take some time to find this, annoying!

The bug I fixed – the TX FIR filter may not have been applied…

Sigi – any comments? I’m now looking at this.

SDRconsole produces spurious transmissions with the Pluto, abt +/- 0.5MHz and +/- 1MHz, other softwares like the "Langstone Project" and the "AMSAT_DL QO-100 TRX" do not.

I love to use your software on the QO-100 and I will do so in the future, but I have to be aware of the fact that I violate the international rules for Amateur Radio Operators regarding allowed spurious transmissions.

All the best for the New Year and mni tnx for providing us SDRconsole for free!

73 de HB9DON, Lorenzo

Jacques RAMBAUD

Hello Simon and all,

Using now the SDR Console v3.1 build 2496 and still have the same RF spurious as before out of my Pluto , see attached picture.

Is it normal ?

73 jacques F6BKI

You MUST add a proper screenshot of Console, I have no idea what settings you are using.

Using now the SDR Console v3.1 build 2496 and still have the same RF spurious as before out of my Pluto , see attached picture.

Is it normal ?

73 jacques F6BKI

Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Ken Sejkora

Hello Jacques,

Based on the image, it look as though you are using an external spectrum analyzer to measure an RF emission *FROM* your Pluto.  I wouldn't think that SDR Console would be the cause of that spurious emission, but rather it is originating in the Pluto hardware itself.  Does the emission still exist even when the Pluto is not being 'operated' by SDR Console, that is, with SDRC not activated?  Is the emission still present if operating the Pluto with SDR software *other* than SDRC?

I would suspect the spurious emission is being generated by the Pluto itself, and has nothing to do with SDRC.  Just my guess anyway.  I hope it helps.  Good luck and 73

Ken -- WBØOCV

Jacques RAMBAUD

Hi Simon,

Here is the screen shot

73 jacques F6BKI

Le 27/01/2022 à 11:17, Simon Brown a écrit :
Hi,

You MUST add a proper screenshot of Console, I have no idea what settings you are using.

Using now the SDR Console v3.1 build 2496 and still have the same RF spurious as before out of my Pluto , see attached picture.

Is it normal ?

73 jacques F6BKI

Simon Brown

OK,

May I have a screenshot taken while generating the signal shown in the spectrum analyser please.

Le 27/01/2022 à 11:17, Simon Brown a écrit :
Hi,

You MUST add a proper screenshot of Console, I have no idea what settings you are using.

Using now the SDR Console v3.1 build 2496 and still have the same RF spurious as before out of my Pluto , see attached picture.

Is it normal ?

73 jacques F6BKI

Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Jacques RAMBAUD

taken transmiting a Tune

jacques F6BKI

Le 27/01/2022 à 11:40, Simon Brown a écrit :
OK,

May I have a screenshot taken while generating the signal shown in the spectrum analyser please.

Le 27/01/2022 à 11:17, Simon Brown a écrit :
Hi,

You MUST add a proper screenshot of Console, I have no idea what settings you are using.

Using now the SDR Console v3.1 build 2496 and still have the same RF spurious as before out of my Pluto , see attached picture.

Is it normal ?

73 jacques F6BKI

Siegfried Jackstien

bonjour jacques

at first ... do not use tune tone at that high level (leila is already crying outcause you are way over beacon level!!)

second ... your pluto setup is NOT tuned correct (you should not have an xit setting of -10kc)

and third ... your lnb setting should be (after tuning xo correction) set that you get the beacon closer to 750 ;-)

dg9bfc sigi

ps if you do not know how to set up ... just ask .. i will help you

Am 27.01.2022 um 13:08 schrieb Jacques RAMBAUD:

taken transmiting a Tune

jacques F6BKI

Le 27/01/2022 à 11:40, Simon Brown a écrit :
OK,

May I have a screenshot taken while generating the signal shown in the spectrum analyser please.

Le 27/01/2022 à 11:17, Simon Brown a écrit :
Hi,

You MUST add a proper screenshot of Console, I have no idea what settings you are using.

Using now the SDR Console v3.1 build 2496 and still have the same RF spurious as before out of my Pluto , see attached picture.

Is it normal ?

73 jacques F6BKI

Simon Brown

Don't forget optional offset tuning.

Using now the SDR Console v3.1 build 2496 and still have the same RF
spurious as before out of my Pluto , see attached picture.

Is it normal ?

73 jacques F6BKI

Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Siegfried Jackstien

hello jacques

i measured the spurious emissions on 13 cm from the pluto ... sdrc is not causing that ... it is an slight iq imbalance (so where it is depends on where you transmit) ... these spurii are lower when you use lower power but they are still there

thats why i recommend to add a bit more gain behind the pluto and use lower drive settings in it

to be in fcc rules you should keep the power VERY LOW

if you keep the pwr of the pluto at (example) -20 dbm you have -58 to -60 dbc (level of spurii compared to tune signal) and if then (depending on dish size and amp) your signal is at 40 db over noise the spurii are still 20 db below transpondernoise (and 40 db is already OVER beacon level!!)

so ... what you see and measure is quite normal on the pluto

sidenote a good warmed up pluto and a stable clock results in cleaner signals cause the iq calculation on boot shows better results

the chips spread a bit as the results differ a bit from boot up to boot up (no idea why .. maybe rounding errors on the iq calibration?!?) but if you keep the drive lower the spurii fall below transpondernoise and will not hurt anybody

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 27.01.2022 um 13:08 schrieb Jacques RAMBAUD:

taken transmiting a Tune

jacques F6BKI

Le 27/01/2022 à 11:40, Simon Brown a écrit :
OK,

May I have a screenshot taken while generating the signal shown in the spectrum analyser please.

Le 27/01/2022 à 11:17, Simon Brown a écrit :
Hi,

You MUST add a proper screenshot of Console, I have no idea what settings you are using.

Using now the SDR Console v3.1 build 2496 and still have the same RF spurious as before out of my Pluto , see attached picture.

Is it normal ?

73 jacques F6BKI

Siegfried Jackstien

NEVER NEVER NEVER USE OFFSET ON THE BIRD!!! not with lime and not with the pluto

otherwise a spurii may cause trouble on another ones frequency!!

offset is ONLY used in local terrestrical contacts (that the carriers rest does not block your rx signal) but then you maybe would not use fullduplex but halfduplex

fullduplex may work with local contacts on a repeater but then also no offset is needed (repeater gives the offset so rx and tx are already not on same qrg)

Simon .. in my view you could/should complete delete the offset setting in radio setup and set it fixed to 0kc

if you have not found a good iq calibration (lime is a good example) then that carrier rest is at your 0hz spot and does not hurt other qsos (and you see it in if view and press tx calibration till it is gone) ... if you use an offset of say plus or minus 50 or 100 kc (or whatever) you may send out that carrier rest on another spot and do not see it (in first view)

you even may transmit outside the band (and thats for sure not ok!!)

so repeat ... NEVER NEVER EVER use offset tuning!!!!

greetz sigi dg9bfc