Pluto specifics

Simon Brown

Yes,

QO-100.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Conrad, PA5Y via groups.io <g0ruz@...>
Sent: 18 September 2022 12:10
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Pluto specifics

Do you refer to QO-100 Simon? For any other application I beg to differ. Do the job? Depends on what the job is. I would not use a Pluto with an amplifier for any terrestrial use. The output is horrible.

Conrad PA5Y

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simon Brown via groups.io
Sent: 11 September 2022 08:03
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io

And let us not forget that Pluto is very much an educational device which we amateurs have adopted.

Beats me why people spend many thousands of euro on Kuhne transverters etc. when you can do the job for far less with a Pluto and SG Labs after blaster.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of jdow via groups.io <jdow@...>
Sent: 11 September 2022 06:52

The TL:DR is "USB2".

The reason is the maximum bandwidth you can cram through a USB 2 connection. (AirSpy and AirSpy (R2) push the limits of USB 2 and sometimes get 10 MHz bandwidth without dropouts and without bitpacking. Without bitpacking 6 Msps is a better choice for reliability than trying to push it a little.

NOTE that you likely will not get 6 Msps through an Ethernet connected Pluto. 100 MHz Ethernet is a little faster than 1/4th the speed of the USB2 connection. (A USB2 to 1 G ethernet adapter would probably make it to 6 Msps. I've never seen one.)

{^_^}

On 20220910 01:30:42, sm6fhz wrote:

Hi.
When I read the data for the Pluto and the heart of the Pluto, the AD9363 (alt. AD9364) I see a specified Bandwidth of maximum 20 MHz.

https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/pluto/users/customizing#updating_to_the_ad9364

When I look at the settable Bandwidth in SDRC I see Bandwidths up to 6 MHz.
Can someone explain this. Is there a catch somewhere, I do not see.
It is only for my curiosity. Presently I do not have any use of larger Bandwidths except for using it to receive the full FM broadcast band.

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

--

- + - + -

Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Conrad, PA5Y

OK then NP 😉

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simon Brown via groups.io
Sent: 18 September 2022 13:18

Yes,

QO-100.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Conrad, PA5Y via groups.io <g0ruz@...>

Do you refer to QO-100 Simon? For any other application I beg to differ. Do the job? Depends on what the job is. I would not use a Pluto with an amplifier for any terrestrial use. The output is horrible.

Conrad PA5Y

And let us not forget that Pluto is very much an educational device which we amateurs have adopted.

Beats me why people spend many thousands of euro on Kuhne transverters etc. when you can do the job for far less with a Pluto and SG Labs after blaster.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of jdow via groups.io <jdow@...>

The reason is the maximum bandwidth you can cram through a USB 2 connection. (AirSpy and AirSpy (R2) push the limits of USB 2 and sometimes get 10 MHz bandwidth without dropouts and without bitpacking. Without bitpacking 6 Msps is a better choice for reliability than trying to push it a little.

NOTE that you likely will not get 6 Msps through an Ethernet connected Pluto. 100 MHz Ethernet is a little faster than 1/4th the speed of the USB2 connection. (A USB2 to 1 G ethernet adapter would probably make it to 6 Msps. I've never seen one.)

{^_^}

Hi.
When I read the data for the Pluto and the heart of the Pluto, the AD9363 (alt. AD9364) I see a specified Bandwidth of maximum 20 MHz.

https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/pluto/users/customizing#updating_to_the_ad9364

It is only for my curiosity. Presently I do not have any use of larger Bandwidths except for using it to receive the full FM broadcast band.

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

--

- + - + -

--

- + - + -

Conrad, PA5Y

Now I will wait for sigi’s comments.

Conrad

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Conrad, PA5Y via groups.io
Sent: 18 September 2022 13:26

OK then NP 😉

To:
main@SDR-Radio.groups.io

Yes,

QO-100.

Conrad PA5Y

To:
main@SDR-Radio.groups.io

{^_^}

Hi.

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

--

- + - + -

--

- + - + -

Siegfried Jackstien

Comments.. Hmmm
The spurii you see depend a bit on the settings of the pluto... Or settings in sdr console...
Pluto can be quite clean if you use a bit lower power and add another gain stage in between... And filters for the band you want to use it on.. In rx and tx path!! 

50 or 60 db below main signal with all unwanted signals spurs etc... is not easy
.... So.. Pluto is not to be used as a main station with a kw amp and big antennas... I bet other contesters will "want to kill you"... Grin... 
But with a much smaller amp (so those spurii are milliwatts or less)... Its ok i think... You should measure and carefully set the levels way way down
And... Settings in console (example tx filter and drive settings)... Is the main thing that may produce a clean (or clean enough) signal... Or a very dirty signal with lots of ghost carriers.. 
Set power out to minus 20dbm and add a 20db stage behind (example a skyworks 65017). To get a quite clean signal..with 0 dbm
Is much better as cranking up the pluto to 0 dbm
Greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 18.09.2022 13:28 schrieb "Conrad, PA5Y" <g0ruz@...>:

Conrad

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Conrad, PA5Y via groups.io

OK then NP 😉

Yes,

QO-100.

Conrad PA5Y

{^_^}

Hi.

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

--

- + - + -

--

- + - + -

Simon Brown

Playing with tomorrow's V3.2 release, I'm seeing 55dB down. May be able to improve on this...

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Siegfried Jackstien via groups.io <siegfried.jackstien@...>
Sent: 18 September 2022 19:22

Comments.. Hmmm
The spurii you see depend a bit on the settings of the pluto... Or settings in sdr console...
Pluto can be quite clean if you use a bit lower power and add another gain stage in between... And filters for the band you want to use it on.. In rx and tx path!! 

50 or 60 db below main signal with all unwanted signals spurs etc... is not easy
.... So.. Pluto is not to be used as a main station with a kw amp and big antennas... I bet other contesters will "want to kill you"... Grin... 
But with a much smaller amp (so those spurii are milliwatts or less)... Its ok i think... You should measure and carefully set the levels way way down
And... Settings in console (example tx filter and drive settings)... Is the main thing that may produce a clean (or clean enough) signal... Or a very dirty signal with lots of ghost carriers.. 
Set power out to minus 20dbm and add a 20db stage behind (example a skyworks 65017). To get a quite clean signal..with 0 dbm
Is much better as cranking up the pluto to 0 dbm
Greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 18.09.2022 13:28 schrieb "Conrad, PA5Y" <g0ruz@...>:

Conrad

OK then NP 😉

Yes,

QO-100.

Conrad PA5Y

{^_^}

Hi.

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

--

- + - + -

--

- + - + -

--
- + - + -

sm6fhz

Hi.

Is there a reason for Pluto not being supported in the Server?
Neither USB nor Ethernet connection.

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Simon Brown

Yes,

At the moment it's difficult 🙂 .

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of sm6fhz via groups.io <ingolf.fhz@...>
Sent: 21 September 2022 18:16

Hi.

Is there a reason for Pluto not being supported in the Server?
Neither USB nor Ethernet connection.

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

--
- + - + -

sm6fhz

QSL Simon.
But not technically impossible?
Then I understand.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Simon Brown

Just some time. If / when I do it, I'll also support transmit via the server.

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of sm6fhz via groups.io <ingolf.fhz@...>
Sent: 21 September 2022 19:02

QSL Simon.
But not technically impossible?
Then I understand.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

--
- + - + -

sm6fhz

QSL.
Looking forward to when the server supports Tx as well.
73 / Ingolf

Simon Brown

There are two big programming steps:
  1. The Console and Server must be the same release / build number so the radio panel can interface properly to the server via the console. All Radio panel I/O must be routed via the server instead of direct to the local Pluto DLL.
  2. Stream TX commands and microphone audio.
Neither are rocket science, just lots of code to write, test etc. Technically very easy, just requires discipline.

Sent: 21 September 2022 19:24

QSL.
Looking forward to when the server supports Tx as well.
73 / Ingolf

--
- + - + -