Topics

Pluto / F5OEO Help Please

How on earth do I get the F5OEO firmware to load on a rev. B Pluto? I tried copying Pluto.frm to the USB drive, it didn’t boot properly and I had to recover from DFU mode.

Also I am unable to access Pluto via a web browser. I’ve updated config.txt, rebooted etc. .

which version of datv firmware did you try?? (older or newer datv fw??)

i just copy the pluto.frm on the pluto and reboot ... workes every time ...

i use the french firmware only cause it has the ptt added (no datv setup yet)

access with webbrowser?? with explorer you go to the pluto drive and click on the info.html (and it then should show the info page from evariste with that new fw in your favourite browser)

in the config text i set xo corection = 40000000 (exact 40 megs) and use the trimmer in my modded plutos ... (no ppm correction needed but that trimmer used to finetune)

adi changed the boot frm a bit and so also the frequency hack had to be changed ... a workaround was using pluto frm  version 32 but using the boot from 31 ... in the meantime evariste (and alberto) also changed the frequency "hack" so it then also works on newer pluto fw

if pluto upgrade works ... depends on what boot.frm you have

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 28.03.2021 um 11:34 schrieb Simon Brown:

Hi,

How on earth do I get the F5OEO firmware to load on a rev. B Pluto? I tried copying Pluto.frm to the USB drive, it didn’t boot properly and I had to recover from DFU mode.

Also I am unable to access Pluto via a web browser. I’ve updated config.txt, rebooted etc. .

Chris Wilson

Hello Siegfried,

Sunday, March 28, 2021

Hi Sigi, from the below are you saying the DATV firmware does not tie you into only using the Pluto for DATV? I had assumed once it was loaded the Pluto would no longer work narrow band SSB on the es hail satellite? Thanks, apologies if the answer appears obvious to some, I am very very new to satellite stuff and about to order my Pluto and other stuff... All the best and take care.

Best regards,
Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

SJ> which version of datv firmware did you try?? (older or newer datv fw??)

SJ> i just copy the pluto.frm on the pluto and reboot ... workes every time ...
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> i use the french firmware only cause it has the ptt added (no datv setup yet)
SJ>
SJ> access with webbrowser?? with explorer you go to the pluto drive
SJ> and click on the info.html (and it then should show the info page
SJ> from evariste with that new fw in your favourite browser)
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> in the config text i set xo corection = 40000000 (exact 40 megs)
SJ> and use the trimmer in my modded plutos ... (no ppm correction
SJ> needed but that trimmer used to finetune)
SJ>
SJ> adi changed the boot frm a bit and so also the frequency hack had
SJ> to be changed ... a workaround was using pluto frm version 32 but
SJ> using the boot from 31 ... in the meantime evariste (and alberto)
SJ> also changed the frequency "hack" so it then also works on newer pluto fw
SJ>
SJ> if pluto upgrade works ... depends on what boot.frm you have
SJ>
SJ> greetz sigi dg9bfc
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> Am 28.03.2021 um 11:34 schrieb Simon Brown:
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> Hi,

SJ> How on earth do I get the F5OEO firmware to load on a
SJ> rev. B Pluto? I tried copying Pluto.frm to the USB
SJ> drive, it didn’t boot properly and I had to recover from DFU mode.
SJ>
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> Also I am unable to access Pluto via a web browser.
SJ> I’ve updated config.txt, rebooted etc. ☹ .
SJ>
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> Simon Brown, G4ELI
SJ>
SJ> https://www.sdr-radio.com

Simon Brown

Hi Sigi,

Using this: http://firmware.hackhamradio.com/perseverance/pluto.frm . My test Pluto doesn’t like it, always boots in DFU mode. Am I missing a step?

I copy to the root of the Pluto USB drive, eject the drive, Pluto flashes a long time while loading.

[...]

Sigi,

FWIW this is a new, unmodified Pluto.

[...]

yes ... pluto can to BOTH datv and narrow band

if you use newer datv firmware you have to seect the "pass trough mode" in the datv setup

with a bit older fw (but still datv ... the beta for the braves) that pass trough is not needed ...

hth

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Hello Siegfried,

Sunday, March 28, 2021

Hi Sigi, from the below are you saying the DATV firmware does not tie you into only using the Pluto for DATV? I had assumed once it was loaded the Pluto would no longer work narrow band SSB on the es hail satellite? Thanks, apologies if the answer appears obvious to some, I am very very new to satellite stuff and about to order my Pluto and other stuff... All the best and take care.

Best regards,
Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

SJ> which version of datv firmware did you try?? (older or newer datv fw??)

SJ> i just copy the pluto.frm on the pluto and reboot ... workes every time ...
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> i use the french firmware only cause it has the ptt added (no datv setup yet)
SJ>
SJ> access with webbrowser?? with explorer you go to the pluto drive
SJ> and click on the info.html (and it then should show the info page
SJ> from evariste with that new fw in your favourite browser)
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> in the config text i set xo corection = 40000000 (exact 40 megs)
SJ> and use the trimmer in my modded plutos ... (no ppm correction
SJ> needed but that trimmer used to finetune)
SJ>
SJ> adi changed the boot frm a bit and so also the frequency hack had
SJ> to be changed ... a workaround was using pluto frm version 32 but
SJ> using the boot from 31 ... in the meantime evariste (and alberto)
SJ> also changed the frequency "hack" so it then also works on newer pluto fw
SJ>
SJ> if pluto upgrade works ... depends on what boot.frm you have
SJ>
SJ> greetz sigi dg9bfc
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> Am 28.03.2021 um 11:34 schrieb Simon Brown:
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> Hi,

SJ> How on earth do I get the F5OEO firmware to load on a
SJ> rev. B Pluto? I tried copying Pluto.frm to the USB
SJ> drive, it didn’t boot properly and I had to recover from DFU mode.
SJ>
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> Also I am unable to access Pluto via a web browser.
SJ> I’ve updated config.txt, rebooted etc. ☹ .
SJ>
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> Simon Brown, G4ELI
SJ>
SJ> https://www.sdr-radio.com

Siegfried Jackstien

i can not believe it boots in dfu mode ... (or the fw is faulty) ...

when the fast flashing is over ... is it then be found again as harddrive?? if you open that drive (example drive e or drive f) and click on the info html ... does it work?? ... can you open that infofile??

there is a setting in the (new) datv soft (pass trough mode) that needs to be activated when using with console

i only used the (a bit older) beta for the braves version (cause i only need the ptt thingy for narrowband)

that fast flashing should stop after a while ... and then the puto should run like normal ... does it not??

ok i may try that "persevance" version and report back ..

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 28.03.2021 um 14:07 schrieb Simon Brown:

[...]

hi simon

revision b or revision c/d ?!?

and .. you are sure aware that you can not use it without modding (external reference or change tcxo) ?!?!?

greetz sigi

Am 28.03.2021 um 14:51 schrieb Simon Brown:

[...]

I have finally got it installed. All I want to do is run it to catch a bug.

[...]

ok if you got it working

for all others i added two pictures ... open the info html on the pluto drive then follow instructions on pictures

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 28.03.2021 um 21:20 schrieb Simon Brown:

BTW – revision B.

[...]

I had to load the latest AD 0.32 firmware then the F5OEO. It did not work when AD 0.29 was loaded.

Sunday, March 28, 2021

Thanks a lot Sigi, that was a great help, I had assumed wrong and this will make things a bit simpler going forward. All the best and take care.

Sunday, March 28, 2021
Hi Sigi, from the below are you saying the DATV firmware does not tie you into only using the Pluto for DATV? I had assumed once it was loaded the Pluto would no longer work narrow band SSB on the es hail satellite? Thanks, apologies if the answer appears obvious to some, I am very very new to satellite stuff and about to order my Pluto and other stuff... All the best and take care.

Best regards,
Chris 2E0ILY mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

SJ> which version of datv firmware did you try?? (older or newer datv fw??)

SJ> i just copy the pluto.frm on the pluto and reboot ... workes every time ...
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> i use the french firmware only cause it has the ptt added (no datv setup yet)
SJ>
SJ> access with webbrowser?? with explorer you go to the pluto drive
SJ> and click on the info.html (and it then should show the info page
SJ> from evariste with that new fw in your favourite browser)
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> in the config text i set xo corection = 40000000 (exact 40 megs)
SJ> and use the trimmer in my modded plutos ... (no ppm correction
SJ> needed but that trimmer used to finetune)
SJ>
SJ> adi changed the boot frm a bit and so also the frequency hack had
SJ> to be changed ... a workaround was using pluto frm version 32 but
SJ> using the boot from 31 ... in the meantime evariste (and alberto)
SJ> also changed the frequency "hack" so it then also works on newer pluto fw
SJ>
SJ> if pluto upgrade works ... depends on what boot.frm you have
SJ>
SJ> greetz sigi dg9bfc
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> Am 28.03.2021 um 11:34 schrieb Simon Brown:
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> Hi,
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> How on earth do I get the F5OEO firmware to load on a
SJ> rev. B Pluto? I tried copying Pluto.frm to the USB
SJ> drive, it didn’t boot properly and I had to recover from DFU mode.
SJ>
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> Also I am unable to access Pluto via a web browser.
SJ> I’ve updated config.txt, rebooted etc. ☹ .
SJ>
SJ>
SJ>
SJ> Simon Brown, G4ELI
SJ>
SJ> https://www.sdr-radio.com

Evariste Courjaud

Hi SImon,

I made a few updated (not yet published) to support Rev C and to put workaround for PTT working with sdr-console.
I could send you it and explain few things to make easy support of PTT. Right me a mail at evaristec at gmail.

Most of pluto are provided with at least 0.31 firmware..I didn't test to upgrade from 0.29 (your case..).

Evariste F5OEO

I had to install 0.32 firmware, then I could install your firmware. Your firmware is OK with my Rev B Pluto, I have a crash sump from a user to look at.

Is the Rev C available to buy?

I made a few updated (not yet published) to support Rev C and to put workaround for PTT working with sdr-console.
I could send you it and explain few things to make easy support of PTT. Right me a mail at evaristec at gmail.

Most of pluto are provided with at least 0.31 firmware..I didn't test to upgrade from 0.29 (your case..).

Evariste F5OEO

hello evariste

what "workaround" ??? did you change the ptt thingy ??

would you be so kind and also send that new version to me and explain "the few things" for the ptt support?!?

thank you

dg9bfc

Am 29.03.2021 um 10:31 schrieb Evariste Courjaud:

Hi SImon,

I made a few updated (not yet published) to support Rev C and to put workaround for PTT working with sdr-console.
I could send you it and explain few things to make easy support of PTT. Right me a mail at evaristec at gmail.

Most of pluto are provided with at least 0.31 firmware..I didn't test to upgrade from 0.29 (your case..).

Evariste F5OEO

Evariste Courjaud

"Is the Rev C available to buy?"
Yes, digikey and mouser deliver Rev C but there is still Rev B in stock, so right now you don't know which model you will receive if your order it.

If I could help you about crashing with my firmware, let me know..

About PTT : right now, I survey your iio commands in order to set GPIO on/off for PTT. In recent version, the workaround is more difficult as you set a 0db Tx gain at startup.
Should be interesting to integrate the PTT directly on console...Last time, I forget to send you the init (which set the GPIO to be set manualy).

Evariste

I can always set a parameter when switching TX / RX. I can’t find the documentation link now, but I think ensm_mode may be of interest?

Let me know the parameter and value for rx/tx.

Yes, digikey and mouser deliver Rev C but there is still Rev B in stock, so right now you don't know which model you will receive if your order it.

If I could help you about crashing with my firmware, let me know..

About PTT : right now, I survey your iio commands in order to set GPIO on/off for PTT. In recent version, the workaround is more difficult as you set a 0db Tx gain at startup.
Should be interesting to integrate the PTT directly on console...Last time, I forget to send you the init (which set the GPIO to be set manualy).

Evariste

Am working on a crash using your firmware. A call to iio_device_create_buffer 150,000 samples has failed. Maybe all the memory has been used?

I’m adding more diagnostics so my user can catch this.

Yes, digikey and mouser deliver Rev C but there is still Rev B in stock, so right now you don't know which model you will receive if your order it.

If I could help you about crashing with my firmware, let me know..

About PTT : right now, I survey your iio commands in order to set GPIO on/off for PTT. In recent version, the workaround is more difficult as you set a 0db Tx gain at startup.
Should be interesting to integrate the PTT directly on console...Last time, I forget to send you the init (which set the GPIO to be set manualy).

Evariste

Sigi,

FWIW I’m seeing a memory issue. With the current F5OEO firmware:

  • Do not use a high bandwidth,
  • In the options window set the buffer sizes to 50ms or lower.

Memory allocation for RX and TX is proportional to bandwidth and buffer size in milliseconds.