Topics

OT - What HF digital mode might this be?

Barry Jablonski

I came across this signal on 40M a few days ago.  It comes in 10 second blocks and seems to be composed of about 64 (?) carriers.
I'm familiar with a number of digital modes, but this one is new to me.

Thanks for any hints, and sorry for the BW.

Barry
WB2ZXJ

jdow

If it sounds somewhat like turkey gobbling it's ALE, Automatic Link Establishment. It's probably from a PCALE installation.

{^_^}

On 20190910 15:34:50, Barry Jablonski wrote:
I came across this signal on 40M a few days ago.  It comes in 10 second blocks and seems to be composed of about 64 (?) carriers.
I'm familiar with a number of digital modes, but this one is new to me.
Thanks for any hints, and sorry for the BW.
Barry
WB2ZXJ
Screenshot-2019-09-10-182657.png

Kriss Kliegle

jdow

Heh - I am a member of the PCALE mailing list. I am quite familiar with the mode. But, such a short periodicity is not right for a single station. I'd expect a variety of different signal strengths and varying intervals as different stations perform their sounding - about once an hour-ish.

{^_^}

On 20190910 16:55:25, Kriss Kliegle wrote:
Great sources of digital signal identification:
http://www.hfradio.org.uk/html/digital_modes.html
https://www.george-smart.co.uk/radio/digital_modes_waterfall/
73 Kriss KA1GJU

Barry Jablonski

Hi Joanne,

This is what it sounded like.

Thanks for the clues.

Barry
WB2ZXJ

Barry Jablonski

Thanks Kriss,

I have those links - they don't provide a clue to what I recorded.

Barry
WB2ZXJ

Allan G3YJZ

Barry,

It sounds like Olivia - I see there is a 2000/64 mode, which would tie in with your observation of 64 carriers.

Allan

Martin

I agree it sounds like Olivia

https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Olivia

But the operating frequency is a bit high as Olivia normally tends to be clustered around 7026.25 / 7043.25 / 7073.25 / 7025.5 (E.Asia) / 7042.5 / 7072.5 (Reg2) and 500/16 is the most common mode.

Alternatively it could be one of the many Russian military data modes as they tend to use around this frequency.

The Signal ID Wiki is a useful resource to help identify this sort of thing

https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Signal_Identification_Guide

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

Barry Jablonski

I also agree it sounds like Olivia, but Olivia is continuous - this signal came in discrete 10 second blocks, with one
second pauses.

It will remain a mystery.

Thanks.

Barry
WB2ZXJ

Martin

Hi Barry,

OK, in that case it's almost certainly a Russian military Serdolink variant.

https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Serdolink

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ