OMNIRIG - limited to 2 GHz

ve3dss@...

Hi Simon!

The latest version is playing fine here!

I had an e mail from ALex 3NEA and he confirms that his
software OMNIRIG won’t go above 2 Ghz, due to code issues.
So I can’t use your software with my microwave stuff & my K3.

I there any chance you could add in HAMLIB?

It works with the K3 all the way up to 10 GHz.
I see some logging programs offer either/or., and
WSJT-X uses it as well.
I’m sure it would be a pain to add but would
be useful for external radios / microwave guys.
Would a few cases of puppy food do it?? : )

vy 73 dana VE3DS

I do not have time to add Hamlib at the moment. There's a new, free OmniRig client which may provide the support needed but to be honest I don't think it will. If you see a reference to a new version of OmniRig with support for frequencies above 4GHz let me know.

I don't see how you are reading 10GHz from the K3, is this some up/down-converter option?

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

The latest version is playing fine here!

I had an e mail from ALex 3NEA and he confirms that his software OMNIRIG won’t go above 2 Ghz, due to code issues.
So I can’t use your software with my microwave stuff & my K3.

I there any chance you could add in HAMLIB?

It works with the K3 all the way up to 10 GHz.
I see some logging programs offer either/or., and WSJT-X uses it as well.
I’m sure it would be a pain to add but would be useful for external radios / microwave guys.
Would a few cases of puppy food do it?? : )

vy 73 dana VE3DS

ve3dss@...

Hi Simon

No the new version doesn’t - tried that already. I’ve e mailed
the guys though so maybe they can come up with a solution, but
failing that Hamlib I know works fine, as I’ve been using WSJT-X and tested with various logging programs, up there.

The K3 and K3S have 9 programmable transverter bands so you can program in the frequency for each band, and
the rig displays the frequency, as well as sending that info out on the RS232 port.
I’ve not tried 10G but certainly up to 5.7 GHz here works fine.
NOTE : The manual shows support for
0 - 24999 MHz for any of the 9 bands so it will go to 24 G as well(!)

At any rate, I truly appreciate your work on this and it would be super duper
to have support on all the microwave bands as well., when using the various SDR’s
as panadapters etc.

vy 73 Dana VE3DS

On Mar 13, 2019, at 06:00, Simon Brown <simon@sdr-radio.com> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Phil M0VSE

There is a fork of Omnirig that claims to support up to 24Ghz. Apparently, frequency was stored as a 32bit signed int which would explain it.

https://github.com/w3sz

I haven't tried compiling it yet but looks like it might be a solution?

73 Phil M0VSE

ve3dss@...

Phil
Thanks much!
 I’ll get in touch with Roger about a binary, hope to that this can  be
incorporated easily into Console!

73 Dana VE3DS

On Mar 14, 2019, at 08:22, Phil M0VSE via Groups.Io <phil@...> wrote:

There is a fork of Omnirig that claims to support up to 24Ghz. Apparently, frequency was stored as a 32bit signed int which would explain it.

https://github.com/w3sz

I haven't tried compiling it yet but looks like it might be a solution?

73 Phil M0VSE

Phil M0VSE

I have compiled a binary but haven't had a chance to test it, let me know if you want to give it a go.

He seems to have added quite a few transverter specific features as well which look quite good (if they work!)

73 Phil M0VSE

Clive Sanders

Hi Phil,

I hit the same wall with OmniRig so would be very happy to give your compilation a whirl.

73, Clive G4KCM

Phil M0VSE

I just tried to upload it to the files section but I guess I need permission?

If you let me know your email address, I will forward it to you. I will do some testing tonight but I will be of limited help if things don't work!

Just copy omnirig.exe into your usual Omnirig directory.

73 Phil M0VSE

Mike Seguin

Phil,

Would love a copy for testing.

Mike

--

73,
Mike, N1JEZ

Clive Sanders

Thanks Phil, Email is...     sandersclive@...

Phil M0VSE

I have uploaded it to my website for people who want to test it

https://www.m0vse.uk/downloads.html?download=5:omnirig64

Please don't expect me to be of any use if you run into problems as my knowledge of Delphi is pretty sketchy to say the least!

Make sure you take a backup of your existing omnirig.exe before you overwrite anything.

73 Phil M0VSE

Siegfried Jackstien

what about uploading it to dropbox so all can try it??

also then no probleme with sending "exe" files over mail

dg9bfc sigi

Am 15.03.2019 um 11:49 schrieb Phil M0VSE via Groups.Io:

I just tried to upload it to the files section but I guess I need permission?

If you let me know your email address, I will forward it to you. I will do some testing tonight but I will be of limited help if things don't work!

Just copy omnirig.exe into your usual Omnirig directory.

73 Phil M0VSE

ve3dss@...

I tried it with the K3.  Thanks Phil!

Using the Omnirig client program from VE3NEA the readings above 1296 are erroneous if you remove the LO values
that Roger included.

WIth the LO values left it OMNIRIG outputs the IF properly ie. 28 MHz. I suspect the client program has the same limitations
on the integer values as the original OMNIRIG thus giving incorrect values above 1296 Mhz. ? … not really sure though.

Interestingly,  WinLog32 works just fine showing 2304, 3456,5760, so I suspect its a matter
of how the software deals with the numerical values generated, or maybe what compiler was used? Phil what did you use?

With SDR Console it also shows erroneous values above 1296 but then it crashed.  I wonder if Simon could comment on that?

A wee bit of progress.  Anyone else find the same??

73 Dana VE3DS

On Mar 15, 2019, at 04:49, Phil M0VSE via Groups.Io <phil@...> wrote:

I have compiled a binary but haven't had a chance to test it, let me know if you want to give it a go.

He seems to have added quite a few transverter specific features as well which look quite good (if they work!)

73 Phil M0VSE

Dana Shtun

Guys I tried it with the K3.  Thanks Phil!

[...]

I can look at this next week, I’m in the middle of some Geostationary / Es’Hail 2 work and can’t break off.

FWIW the OmniRig support expects 32-bit frequencies so for this and another reason will not work above 2GB.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

[...]

Thanks Simon, I had come to that conclusion as well. I have also found that Log4OM doesn't like the modified version of OmniRig so I have reverted to the "proper" version.

I have not had much luck with modified versions of OmniRig (like the so-called OmniRig v2.0) as they seem to be less than a full solution to the problems that they are created to address. As the OminRig interface is basically 'set-in-stone' adding features like > 2Ghz support and supporting more than 2 rigs is always going to be sketchy at best unless the other software also supports these changes.

73 Phil M0VSE

Henry

I think we cannot expect that a software calling the IRigX.get_Freq interface (and all the others affected) with 32bit integer parameters will fully work with a forked Omnirig which expects 64bit parameters.
In my opinion it is also impossible that a software re-written for the forked Omnirig can handle installations of the "standard" Omnirig backward compatible. The software will crash because of a memory violence when passing 64bit parameters.

I think it would be necessary to provide two versions of the control software. One for the standard Omnirig and one for the forked. Or code a switch which automatically detects which Omnirig is installed. But this is not so easy, I believe. I am not sure if every software author is willing to support an Omnirig version which is not official.

73s, Henry

ve3dss@...

Henry

Agree but for SDR Console the ability utilize all amateur frequencies with external radios would be the logical way to go. So
like many programs there perhaps could be the option to use omnirig or Hamlib.  Note that WSJT-X switched from OMNIRIG to  Hamlib and we’ve used FT8 up on 3456 Mhz with ease using the K3 and transverters.
The  W3SZ 64bit forked omnirig seems to work fine with programs that can handle the Integer format, as I mentioned.
At any rate, I defer to Simon and his wisdom on all this.  He’s truly done an amazing job!!

73 Dana VE3DS