Topics

Number pad to take focus for frequency entry (option?)

Max

Simon

Would it be possible to at least have an option so that, regardless of which window or panel is selected, that pressing a number on the PC keyboard number pad immediately brings focus back to the main window to enter a frequency. If a receiver pane receiver window is already active the frequency entry would take place on there instead as it does now. i.e. if a "non-freq entry" window or pane is currently active (DSP pane for example), number pad key immediately bring focus back to main receive window and takes the input as an immediate frequency entry.

I use number pad frequency entry a lot, and it is the only feature that becomes annoying as I am constantly pressing a key on the number pad which then does nothing, and having to then manually click in the main window to then have another go at entering the frequency. Would ideally like the cursor keys to have the same option as I use those for tuning more than any other method and same applies, needs focus back on the main window to be active. Suggest an option so that those who don't like it can leave Console to behave in the "default" fashion?

Just sent donation to the Millie food fund!

Thanks for looking

Max

kb3cs

i, too, find it quite difficult to operate the basic radio functions from the keyboard - particularly frequency tuning. the input focus seems to move around the Console mysteriously without it being clear where the focus is at the moment.

my workaround is to hover the mouse in the RX spectrum panel at the upper right and click on the Zoom button, then move the pointer away. this seems to be the only way to ensure the RX panel has input focus. typing numbers at this point will bring up the frequency entry popup.

- 1n (base 50) -

Max

Edited

Yes, this is almost exactly how I cope with it, in my case I mouse click the "Low" button as this does not risk changing anything, but it is a constant annoyance sadly. About the only thing that is an annoyance in SDR Console as nearly everything else is great!

Fixing this issue would be fantastic, or at least an option to turn this feature on and off (although for me I would always have it "on"). Ideally direct freq entry from the number pad AND tuning with the cursor keys to take focus immediately when pressed.

Any chance Simon?

Max

Max

Do you think there is any chance of implementing this Simon?

Simon Brown

Yes,

I’ll check something now.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Max via Groups.Io
Sent: 16 October 2019 09:34
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Number pad to take focus for frequency entry (option?)

Simon Brown

Hi,

Seems to work already but the program must have input focus. When the program does not have input focus I don’t get keystrokes…

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Max via Groups.Io
Sent: 16 October 2019 09:34

Max

Hi Simon

Thanks for looking. It is very much appreciated.

The problem does not seem to be just the program focus. What's required for it to work is the specific window focus within SDR has to be the main receive window (see also kb3cs comments above), so for example, if you change something in the DSP panel, the number pad stops working until you click within the main receiver window, and more specifically it seems often only a "button" like low/high/zoom is capable of taking focus back to the receive window to enable number pad frequency entry. If it could be made to work so that at all times the numberpad is active for frequency input when any window in the program has focus that would be great.

Max

Simon Brown

Yes,

Looking at this now.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Sent: 18 October 2019 09:44

Hi Simon

Thanks for looking. It is very much appreciated.

The problem does not seem to be just the program focus. What's required for it to work is the specific window focus within SDR has to be the main receive window (see also kb3cs comments above), so for example, if you change something in the DSP panel, the number pad stops working until you click within the main receiver window, and more specifically it seems often only a "button" like low/high/zoom is capable of taking focus back to the receive window to enable number pad frequency entry. If it could be made to work so that at all times the numberpad is active for frequency input when any window in the program has focus that would be great.

Max

Max

Edited

Many thanks Simon. If you are able to get same behaviour for the cursor/arrow keys for keyboard tuning that would be excellent too.

Simon Brown

Max,

Please apply to join the test team. As I don’t have an e-mail you’ll have to visit https://groups.io/g/SDR-Radio-TestTeam and apply somehow. Or send me an e-mail with your real e-mail address. Or something…

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Sent: 18 October 2019 14:04

[Edited Message Follows]

Many thanks Simon. If you are able to get same behaviour for the cursor/arrow keys for keyboard tuning that would be excellent too.