Topics

New SDRPlay Unit Out. (Called An RSPdx)

rmrrgs

Hi,

Just read that SDRPlay has come out with a replacemnt
for their RSP-2

Called  RSPdx.  Would probably like to get it if/when usable with Console and sell y RSP-2

Can Console interface with it now, or will there have to be some
changes modified to Console, and a new revision issued ?

e.g., I see that there are 3 independent ant. inputs.
So, i imagine, this at least would require a modification.

Any thoughts on ?

Regards,
Bob

Simon Brown

Hi Bob,

I only saw the announcement today. As soon as I have one I’ll get it supported.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of rmrrgs
Sent: 01 November 2019 20:13
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] New SDRPlay Unit Out. (Called An RSPdx)

Hi,

for their RSP-2

Called  RSPdx.  Would probably like to get it if/when usable with Console and sell y RSP-2

Any thoughts on ?

Regards,
Bob

Larry Dodd

Bob
Until we can get an actual product to test it won’t be known if the driver is compatible or not. Looking at the specifications I don’t see anything to suggest that it will be an any better receiver than the SDRplay2. Time will tell. 
Larry

On Nov 1, 2019, at 4:13 PM, rmrrgs <rgsrose@...> wrote:

Hi,

for their RSP-2

Any thoughts on ?

Regards,
Bob

Paul NN4F

It will work once Simon gets one and the new api

I’ve been using one for about 2 months now, it is better than the rsp2 and better than the current rsp1a below 2mhz due to extra filtering... see the sdrplay website for comparison specs, but like I said been using it for about 2 months and YES much better than the 2/2pro

Paul

--
Paul Jones - NN4F
Email: paul@...
http://www.nn4f.com
http://www.facebook.com/NN4F.Radio
http://www.facebook.com/groups/sdrplay
Twitter: @nn4f_radio

On Nov 1, 2019, at 17:28, Larry Dodd <101science@...> wrote:

Bob
Until we can get an actual product to test it won’t be known if the driver is compatible or not. Looking at the specifications I don’t see anything to suggest that it will be an any better receiver than the SDRplay2. Time will tell. 
Larry

On Nov 1, 2019, at 4:13 PM, rmrrgs <rgsrose@...> wrote:

Hi,

for their RSP-2

Any thoughts on ?

Regards,
Bob

Roger Need

Comparison Matrix for new RSPdx

David J Taylor

It will work once Simon gets one and the new api

I???ve been using one for about 2 months now, it is better than the rsp2 and better than the current rsp1a below 2mhz due to extra filtering... see the sdrplay website for comparison specs, but like I said been using it for about 2 months and YES much better than the 2/2pro

Paul
=========================================

Paul, a comparison with the Airspy HF+ discovery would be most interesting.

David GM8ARV
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Joe Roth

I received my RSPdx on the 26th from HRO. WONDERFUL unit!! But sadly, will not work with Simon's program... yet. 
I tried, but it was recognized as the RSPduo, and that will not work.

Simon Brown

Hi,

I’m currently implementing version 3.06 of the SDPlay API (was previously on version 2.x). I have the RSP1, RSP1A working. Next is the RSP2 then the RSPDx.

I’m very impressed with the 3.06 API – it’s made the implementation much simpler than it was previously.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Roth
Sent: 30 November 2019 16:52
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] New SDRPlay Unit Out. (Called An RSPdx)

I received my RSPdx on the 26th from HRO. WONDERFUL unit!! But sadly, will not work with Simon's program... yet. 

Larry Dodd

Thanks Simon. 
Larry
K4LED

On Nov 30, 2019, at 1:36 PM, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Hi,

I’m currently implementing version 3.06 of the SDPlay API (was previously on version 2.x). I have the RSP1, RSP1A working. Next is the RSP2 then the RSPDx.

I’m very impressed with the 3.06 API – it’s made the implementation much simpler than it was previously.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Roth
Sent: 30 November 2019 16:52

Barry Baines

Simon:

Your note below doesn’t reference the RSPduo.   Presumably the current software supports single tuner mode for the RSPduo.   Will providing second tuner capability for the RSPduo be something that will be added as part of your current efforts  to provide SDRPlay updates?

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
Keller, TX
(Currently in Boston, MA)

On Nov 30, 2019, at 1:36 PM, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Roth
Sent: 30 November 2019 16:52
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] New SDRPlay Unit Out. (Called An RSPdx)

_._,_._,_

Dennis Matzen

Simon, will you be working on  the RSPduo also?  

Simon Brown

Hi,

I’ve just got the Duo working as before – no diversity, maybe I’ll do that in January / February 2020 as diversity will become more important over the next few years.

So – I have to add the RSPdx logic, then I (we) can start testing. I don’t have a RSPdx, also my RSP2 is in use on a hill top (no goat herd) but I’m sure there’s plenty of RSP2 / RSPdx owners on this list..

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Barry Baines via Groups.Io
Sent: 30 November 2019 20:17

Simon:

Your note below doesn’t reference the RSPduo.   Presumably the current software supports single tuner mode for the RSPduo.   Will providing second tuner capability for the RSPduo be something that will be added as part of your current efforts  to provide SDRPlay updates?

Barry Baines, WD4ASW

Keller, TX

Everett N4CY

Hi Simon,

I will be very happy when you have the fixes for SDRplay RSPdx installed, as the SDRuno software sucks...

Everett N4CY

In a message dated 12/1/2019 12:30:10 PM Central Standard Time, simon@... writes:

Hi,

I’ve just got the Duo working as before – no diversity, maybe I’ll do that in January / February 2020 as diversity will become more important over the next few years.

So – I have to add the RSPdx logic, then I (we) can start testing. I don’t have a RSPdx, also my RSP2 is in use on a hill top (no goat herd) but I’m sure there’s plenty of RSP2 / RSPdx owners on this list..

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Barry Baines via Groups.Io
Sent: 30 November 2019 20:17

Simon:

Barry Baines, WD4ASW

Keller, TX

Mike Bott

On 12/1/19 1:37 PM, Everett N4CY via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Simon,

I will be very happy when you have the fixes for SDRplay RSPdx installed, as the SDRuno software sucks...

Everett N4CY

Au contraire, mon frère, I find the SDRuno package quite good.  The major difference for a newer user is that it has a bit of a steeper learning curve than SDR Console. 

--
Mike

Simon Brown

Well,

I’ve been writing SDR Console longer than SDRuno (although SDRuno evolved from Studio1), just give the SDRplay boys time. It really depends what you want.

I’m using a RSPduo at the moment with the v3 library, I must say it’s not at all bad but there are no super-strong signals about tonight.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Everett N4CY via Groups.Io
Sent: 01 December 2019 18:38

Hi Simon,

Everett N4CY

Simon Brown

Hi,

I need your real e-mail address to invite you to the test team.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Everett N4CY via Groups.Io

Hi Simon,

Everett N4CY

Everett N4CY

everettsharp@... Thanks Simon

In a message dated 12/1/2019 2:07:57 PM Central Standard Time, simon@... writes:

Hi,

I need your real e-mail address to invite you to the test team.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Hi Simon,

Everett N4CY

Todd Brown

Support for this will be great, I've been using / learning UNO since I got my dx, but have used console for many years until now. Just can't fully get used to a new program. 

Barry Baines

Todd:

On Dec 1, 2019, at 3:47 PM, Todd Brown <todd.ab2ms@...> wrote:

Support for this will be great, I've been using / learning UNO since I got my dx, but have used console for many years until now. Just can't fully get used to a new program. 

Much like other software packages, RSPuno has a significant learning curve in part because one has to learn the ‘paradigm’ of how the software is based.  I use it because I have a RSPduo (dual tuners) and RSPuno is the only software currently available that has the ability to support the second tuner.  I purchased the Duo because it makes it much easier to monitor two sets of frequencies well past the typical band limitations of a single tuner (e.g. 896 and 937 MHz or 928 and 952 MHz at the same time) with a single USB connection to the SDRduo going to their own data applications via VAC.  I started using SDRduo in January 2019 and 11 months later I’m feeling relatively comfortable with how the software works.  SDRPlay does provide video introductions on YouTube as well as PDF tech notes to help users get up to speed.   These videos are relatively well done but I found them to be not as helpful as I had hoped because their focus is on HF and shortwave reception as well as the presenter racing through their material.  I found myself having to replay small segments in order to catch a better glimpse of the screen display and matching what the presenter was saying to what was being displayed.

I suspect that should Simon provide an upgrade to SDR Console in 2020 to support the dual tuner capability of SDRduo, that will be when I start focusing on SDR Console and going through the learning curve of how to use SDR Console for the purposes that I purchased SDRduo.  

FWIW, I have found the SDRPlay tech support team very responsive to queries about operation of the software and they are maintaining a ‘road map’ listing of future enhancements based upon user feedback.  I suspect that there are a variety of applications/uses that  present their own set of ‘wants’ in terms of functionality and user interaction.   Having SDRPlay technical representatives at both the 2019 Hamcation and the 2019 Hamvention that I attended available to answer questions, demonstrate the software, and correct misunderstandings went a long way to help me with the learning curve.  Hopefully, they will be at the 2020 Hamcation in February and 2020 Hamvention in May as well.  I can’t say enough about the value of having a ‘hands on’ demo or gaining immediate feedback that provides the opportunity for followup in person.  

I primarily use the SDRduo in a mobile environment using a 12” laptop with a touchpad for data reception.  Given the focus of SDRuno’s use of a mouse interface, I am limited in what parameters I can easily change, such as a VFO frequency.  Likewise, their display presumes the user is using a relatively large screen display rather than a small screen.  Over time, I’ve learned how to configure SDRuno to only display what is absolutely needed for my purposes.  I have shared my suggestions with the tech team on what would make it easier for mobile users and I’m hopeful that we’ll see some of these recommendations implemented at some point in the future.  

For example, while it is currently possible to save ‘memory frequencies’ including mode (FM), submode (narrow band FM) filter setting, antenna port used, and whether it is part of a scan list (Y/N) for the bank of frequencies being saved, there is currently no provision for saving ALL parameters associated with a particular instance such as which line output (e.g. VAC line out), AGC level, squelch level, etc associated with a particular ’session.’    It currently isn’t possible to create a ‘backup’ of a current configuration with a specified file name to recall in the future.   However, I see listed on the current SDRPlay roadmap SDRPlay’s intention in v1.41 the ability to backup/restore .ini files and the ability to create and restore complete receiver profiles. This is certainly encouraging news.

Currently, starting SDRuno is a manual process where the user opens SDRuno and it will open the configuration for Tuner 1 that existed when that session was previously closed.   If the second tuner is needed, one must manually configure the SDRuno session associated with a particular device to recognize the second tuner when a second SDRuno application is opened.  Once that is done, the users starts the second SDRuno application and the configuration is opened that was last used as the second application session.  In essence, the user has to manually reverse the sequence of steps  taken when SDRuno is shut down (e.g. second tuner is slaved to the first tuner, so one has to close the slave tuner before closing the master tuner).  Things get more complicated if two SDRduo receivers are used on the same PC as one must shut down the sessions in reverse order and then open again in the same order to ensure that a particular session is associated with the proper tuner of a particular SDRduo.  Given that different tuners maybe attached to particular preamps and antennas for particular bands, getting the sessions right is critical.  Hopefully this process will be vastly simplified and improved whenever SDRuno v1.41 is released.

One additional ‘wish item’ that I’ve passed along to SDRPlay’s tech support is the ability to autostart SDRuno where the software would open two sessions of SDRuno (one for each tuner), then open a specific configuration for each tuner, and then put each session into ‘play’ to start receiving data.  The ability to autostart will greatly enhance SDRuno for remote operation as well as while operating mobile to ensure the desired configuration settings are selected with minimal user intervention.  I’d rather be spending my time running the SDRduo and collecting data while mobile rather than pulling over to the side of the road to get things started with the software package managing the device or resolving technical issues because something got inadvertently changed and there isn’t a current means of retrieving a specifically stored session.  

In summary, SDRuno has come a long way over the past year and hopefully the improvements will continue. As users become more comfortable with SDR technology and find new ways to put these devices to good use, the developers will hopefully continue to provide desired enhancements to widen the potential for these devices.  Simon has certainly been instrumental in making SDR Console something special and I’m hoping that both he and SDRPlay will make it possible for the SDRduo users to fully benefit from what this technology has to offer.

FWIW,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
Keller, TX