Topics

Need help with SDRplay RSP2 reciever #sdrplay

Stephen Pitts
 

Somehow, my Hi-Z antenna connection seems to have died. It was working until recently, now, I get nothing but noise floor. Antenna A does receive properly. I have also noticed that sometimes when I select 5,6, or 7 MHz, the SDRplay console will lock up. 

Any ideas? 

Stephen Pitts
 

Additional information and correction:
I left my SDR Hi-Z antenna connected to a long wire antenna. We had a severe lighting storm nearby. There were no strikes anywhere near our location, but my theory now is that the antenna fed "something" into the Hi-Z input that killed it. The radio seems to work fine using one of the alternate antenna connections.

I have this very small hope that this could be repairable.  

Also, 
There is no problem with the console locking up. 

Roger Need
 

Try running your RSP2 with SDRuno to see if it works correctly.  The HiZ is a balanced input.  So if you are not using an antenna that has connections to P and N then you won't get a good signal.  Since you are using a long wire antenna you need to use a balun or attach the antenna to the P terminal and a jumper from N terminal to the G terminal. 

More info here >>  https://www.sdrplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/161201HighZPortGuidev2.pdf

Joe Roth
 

The SDR 1,2, dx, etc. are very susceptible to ESD. Even when you think things are quiet, static builds.

Roger Need
 

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 04:42 PM, Joe Roth wrote:
The SDR 1,2, dx, etc. are very susceptible to ESD. Even when you think things are quiet, static builds.

I am not sure why you say this.  All the RSP products have front end ESD protection.

Bill Walch
 

ESD and a lightning strike are two entirely different conditions. ESD is an accumulated static condition, usually in the 3KV to 10KV range in microamps. Most ESD protection schemes will shunt this discharge without further circuit damage. Lightning is 100's of KV's at many AMP's. Nothing will protect a direct hit, and even a hit at some distance from the house, ground path conduction is well known, and that includes healthy trees with dipoles attached. Rule of thumb, if severe weather is around, unplug the antenna.

On 12/2/2019 7:57 PM, Roger Need via Groups.Io wrote:
On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 04:42 PM, Joe Roth wrote:
The SDR 1,2, dx, etc. are very susceptible to ESD. Even when you think things are quiet, static builds.

I am not sure why you say this.  All the RSP products have front end ESD protection.

Mark Cayton
 

I think (but I've been wrong before) the NooElec 9:1 Balun has an isolation transformer (that's what I feed the Hi-Z input with on my RSP2). So I don't worry about ESD getting into my receiver.

Also, I run my antenna feedline thru a Morgan Mfg lightning arrestor which shorts DC to ground, so there's an added layer of protection against static.
--
Mark  K1LSB

Stephen Pitts
 

Thanks for the feedback. 

I think my RSP2 was indeed damaged by a nearby strike. The Hi Z input just seems to be completely dead. I really have enjoyed having the RSP2, so I think I am going to get a replacement. Other than the RSP2 that just sold on Ebay, I don't see a lot of sources for them, so I might just get a Duo from HRO. I got my RSP2 at Huntsville Hamfest several years ago. 

Roger Need
 

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 12:53 PM, Stephen Pitts wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. 

I think my RSP2 was indeed damaged by a nearby strike. The Hi Z input just seems to be completely dead. I really have enjoyed having the RSP2, so I think I am going to get a replacement. Other than the RSP2 that just sold on Ebay, I don't see a lot of sources for them, so I might just get a Duo from HRO. I got my RSP2 at Huntsville Hamfest several years ago. 
Why not open up your RSP2 since it is dead on HiZ and take a look at the circuit board for obvious damage (black discoloration, blown tracks, charred parts etc)..  If it looks OK it can probably be repaired by SDRplay for a nominal charge.

Stephen Pitts
 

That is a good recommendation. I will take a look. If it can be repaired, I certainly want to do that.


On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 5:46 PM Roger Need via Groups.Io <sailtamarack=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 12:53 PM, Stephen Pitts wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. 

I think my RSP2 was indeed damaged by a nearby strike. The Hi Z input just seems to be completely dead. I really have enjoyed having the RSP2, so I think I am going to get a replacement. Other than the RSP2 that just sold on Ebay, I don't see a lot of sources for them, so I might just get a Duo from HRO. I got my RSP2 at Huntsville Hamfest several years ago. 
Why not open up your RSP2 since it is dead on HiZ and take a look at the circuit board for obvious damage (black discoloration, blown tracks, charred parts etc)..  If it looks OK it can probably be repaired by SDRplay for a nominal charge.