Topics

Narrow passband (<5 kHz) SDR software usable with RTL-SDR for IF panadapter use? #rtl

David Feldman

I wish to use my RTL-SDR device (with upconversion) as a Panadapter to display a narrow range of signals in the 8.83 +/- MHz IF output of a Kenwood TS-940S transceiver.

My main wish is to monitor a narrow frequency range around the center frequency (ideally +/- 2.5 kHz.)

With HDSDR, the minimum Bandwidth setting is 225001 Hz, making it impractical to closely inspect signals within the 5 kHz passband of interest.

Are there other SDR programs better suited to this application?

Thank you for any advice!

Dave
wb0gaz@...

Alan G4ZFQ

With HDSDR, the minimum Bandwidth setting is 225001 Hz, making it impractical to closely inspect signals within the 5 kHz passband of interest.
Are there other SDR programs better suited to this application?
Dave,

As far as I know that is the minimum for a RTL.
All SDR programs zoom in, most have a secondary narrower display.
Look at recent posts here. Some examples of very fine examination.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Roy Schulz

One of the things that I liked about the SDRUno program was it's ability to zoom in to show very narrow spectrum displays in both the the rf and audio windows. And it's very good if you are only using it to view a single virtual receiver.

SDRUNo supports the RTL-SDR and most importantly, it's free, hi.

regards, Roy

John Marsyla

Which other SRDuno version supports the RTL-SDR - I use the old/freeĀ  EXTIO edition Rel. 1.06

Thanks

73, John

Op 3 december 2018 om 17:01 schreef Roy Schulz <ve7bpb@...>:

One of the things that I liked about the SDRUno program was it's ability to zoom in to show very narrow spectrum displays in both the the rf and audio windows. And it's very good if you are only using it to view a single virtual receiver.

SDRUNo supports the RTL-SDR and most importantly, it's free, hi.

regards, Roy

Paul Gulliver

Hi Roy,

I would be interested to know how you get SDRUno to support the RTL-SDR - my SDRUno doesn't want to play game (using the latest version as I've just purchased the RSP1A)

Cheers,

Paul

On 03/12/2018 at 16:01, Roy Schulz <ve7bpb@...> wrote:
One of the things that I liked about the SDRUno program was it's ability to zoom in to show very narrow spectrum displays in both the the rf and audio windows. And it's very good if you are only using it to view a single virtual receiver.

SDRUNo supports the RTL-SDR and most importantly, it's free, hi.

regards, Roy

Roy Schulz

Hi Paul,

Read this link and it should become clear.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/sdr4everyone-tutorial-on-using-the-rtl-sdr-with-sdruno/

regards, Roy

Paul Gulliver

Thanks Roy,

I had read this item before but couldn't get SDRUno to see my dongle, the mix up seems to be where to put the dll file - I had it in the "my documents" folder but after moving it to the "documents" folder under my user name it now works.
Possibly the mix up is the article used Windows7 and I'm using Windows 8.1

All systems go now :)

Cheers,

Paul

On 03/12/2018 at 18:22, Roy Schulz <ve7bpb@...> wrote:
Hi Paul,

Read this link and it should become clear.

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/sdr4everyone-tutorial-on-using-the-rtl-sdr-with-sdruno/

regards, Roy

David Feldman

Thank you, Alan -

I installed SDR Sharp and the Zoom function works as I wished - I have created a ~5 kHz window around the 8.83 MHz IF output of my (Kenwood TS940) transceiver.

I would like to understand if it is possible/how I can reduce latency in this configuration. There is about 1 second delay from signals appearing in the passband until they are visible and audible on SDR Sharp. Perhaps the bulk of the latency is intrinsic in the nature of the RTL-SDR and it's available parameters (I am using the minimum sample rate/bandwidth), but perhaps I am missing something. A quick search for the topic of Latency in SDR Sharp didn't turn up anything obvious.

Thank you again - this is much closer now to what I envisioned, and now my task turns to alternatives that reduce latency.

73 Dave WB0GAZ wb0gaz@...