Topics

Mute audio

Joe W4WT

Is there any way to mute the audio with an external signal?  I'm not talking about using the external radio option; just a ground or power signal to perhaps a serial port pin?

Joe W4WT

jdow

TS2000 protocol CAT control. (Needs com0com or equivalent.)
MIDI needs setup, an external MIDI controller, and a MIDI interface.
Tmate controller - F1.

{^_^}

On 20200324 17:35:00, Joe Spear wrote:
Is there any way to mute the audio with an external signal?  I'm not talking about using the external radio option; just a ground or power signal to perhaps a serial port pin?
Joe W4WT

Simon Brown

Joe,

No – only MIDI as jdow suggests or Cat or a Tmate 2 https://www.sdr-radio.com/tmate-2 .

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Spear
Sent: 25 March 2020 00:35
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Mute audio

Joe W4WT

jdow

um, i mentioned all three. I checked first. {o.o} {o.-}

On 20200324 23:05:27, Simon Brown wrote:
Joe,
No – only MIDI as jdow suggests or Cat or a Tmate 2 https://www.sdr-radio.com/tmate-2 .
Simon Brown, G4ELI
*From:*main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Joe Spear
*Sent:* 25 March 2020 00:35
*To:* main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
*Subject:* [SDR-Radio] Mute audio
Joe W4WT

Siegfried Jackstien

hmm ... you have serial in for ptt (ftdi chip and pullup resistor ... then pull cts to ground) ... for ptt in for lime or pluto users

and ptt (tx muting) can be set to mute (complete to zero or to lower level)

if you now use the same signal for a "receive only" sdr for muting ... it should do the job

just an idea

dg9bfc sigi

Am 25.03.2020 um 06:05 schrieb Simon Brown:

Joe,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe Spear
Sent: 25 March 2020 00:35
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Mute audio

Joe W4WT

Gregory Schippers

Joe....not what you're asking for, but the Auto Mute on TX function works quite well.....I may not have the name correct. You adjust it, and when either peak or average (selectable) signal level rises above your chosen level, Console mutes audio, and signal on screen. I use an old TenTec Omni-A as my transmitter, and my SDR is the receiver. Works great. Another hint...if using external speaker, qrpkits.com offers a T/R switch kit that gives you some options.
Regards,
Greg, KC8HXO

Joe W4WT

I don't have SDRC hooked up to an external radio so CAT is out.  It is just being used as a receiver.  Using Tmate or MIDI isn't really practical since I could just as easily wire a relay into the audio to the headphones to cut the audio circuit when the transmitter is keyed for a lot less money and bother particularly since I have no use for either of those options for their primary functions.

Having a separate receiver (SDRC) and being able to mute that receiver when keying up a transmitter is kind of a standard feature with Ham Radio.  I'm surprised there isn't something like toggling DTR/CTS/RTS on a serial port that allows this. 

Thanks to all that responded.  I think the relay option is what I will use lacking anything better.

Joe W4WT

Simon Brown

Joe,

There’s an auto-mute option!

You say you don’t have it hooked up to an external radio yet want to somehow mute – this is a tad contradictory I think. Anyway, auto-mute will do what you want.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joe W4WT
Sent: 25 March 2020 17:56
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Mute audio

I don't have SDRC hooked up to an external radio so CAT is out.  It is just being used as a receiver.  Using Tmate or MIDI isn't really practical since I could just as easily wire a relay into the audio to the headphones to cut the audio circuit when the transmitter is keyed for a lot less money and bother particularly since I have no use for either of those options for their primary functions.

Having a separate receiver (SDRC) and being able to mute that receiver when keying up a transmitter is kind of a standard feature with Ham Radio.  I'm surprised there isn't something like toggling DTR/CTS/RTS on a serial port that allows this. 

Thanks to all that responded.  I think the relay option is what I will use lacking anything better.

Joe W4WT

rocco labella IK8XLD

AUTO-MUTE does not work via QO-100.
Joe's idea would be very useful to activate AUTO-MUTE or AUDIO REDUCTION% using rs232 serial line, (or usb / serial adapter) using an external radio without CAT (not pluto, no TS2000 ....),  transmitting via satellite QO-100.
You could connect the ptt of the external radio to DTR / CTS / RTS to obtain the same result.
I wrote about this many months ago on this forum, but I'm afraid I didn't know how to explain well because of my bad English. :)

Rocco IK8XLD

Joe W4WT

HI Simon,

Let me explain what I'm doing and it will make more sense.  I am working linear satellites.  I am using SDRC (attached to an Rsp1a) as the downlink receiver for several reasons.  The antenna of the Rsp1a is attached to the downlink antenna.  I don't want to hear myself other than at the start of the pass to make sure I'm on frequency.  Listening to oneself and trying to talk when there is a noticeable delay is a bit much for an old guy like me.  Thus the desire for the mute function.  I use SatPC32 to control my radio and have DxLab Commander linked to it via DDE.  This allows DxLab to get both the satellite name and satellite mode automatically which are needed for a valid satellite qso as well as frequency information.  DxLab Commander is set up to use it's secondary port to control SDRC's frequency and mode via SDRC's CAT serial port function. 

All of this works perfectly and automatically (I love automation).  SDRC follows the radios VFO in this scenario allowing me to have a great panadapter and waterfall all following SatPC32's tracking.  The only thing missing is a mute line that I can actuate with the keying line from the rig.  Auto mute won't work in this scenario.  I use VOX and a boom mic/headset for handsfree operation.  This leaves my hands free to type in callsigns and log contacts and tune the VFO as needed.  This setup works about as well as I could hope for, other than the mute, but as I mentioned above, I can rig up a relay to handle it.

Hope that helps explain things,

Joe W4WT

Simon Brown

Joe,

Which radio are you using?

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Sent: 26 March 2020 03:04

HI Simon,

Let me explain what I'm doing and it will make more sense.  I am working linear satellites.  I am using SDRC (attached to an Rsp1a) as the downlink receiver for several reasons.  The antenna of the Rsp1a is attached to the downlink antenna.  I don't want to hear myself other than at the start of the pass to make sure I'm on frequency.  Listening to oneself and trying to talk when there is a noticeable delay is a bit much for an old guy like me.  Thus the desire for the mute function.  I use SatPC32 to control my radio and have DxLab Commander linked to it via DDE.  This allows DxLab to get both the satellite name and satellite mode automatically which are needed for a valid satellite qso as well as frequency information.  DxLab Commander is set up to use it's secondary port to control SDRC's frequency and mode via SDRC's CAT serial port function. 

All of this works perfectly and automatically (I love automation).  SDRC follows the radios VFO in this scenario allowing me to have a great panadapter and waterfall all following SatPC32's tracking.  The only thing missing is a mute line that I can actuate with the keying line from the rig.  Auto mute won't work in this scenario.  I use VOX and a boom mic/headset for handsfree operation.  This leaves my hands free to type in callsigns and log contacts and tune the VFO as needed.  This setup works about as well as I could hope for, other than the mute, but as I mentioned above, I can rig up a relay to handle it.

Joe W4WT

Siegfried Jackstien

does it matter what radio he uses?? (guessing you think about cat command)

what about using the "tx in" signal that you now use for tx with pluto or lime (and that already does tx mute)

means ... mute rx volume (like you now do with the function mute rx when txing) when external ptt is switched on

we now use "cts" on a usb to ttl adaptor (pull to ground) to switch pluto or lime to tx (and when txing mute rx volume)

if you use THE SAME SIGNAL (cts) also on "receive only" sdr ... for muting the speaker ... problem would be solved easy

no need to mess around with cat etc ... just a signal pulled to ground ...

the parts are already there (the program parts that you use for tx and muting speaker) ...

just use same signal also on receive only sdr and were set

(and i can mute my speaker regardless if i use my pluto or an rtl dongle) ...

that should make a lot of setups possible ... especially combination of a normal rig (maybe without cat) together with an sdr (be it direct in parallel on antenna or on an if out port) ... muting via "ptt signal" (ftdi chip on usb port) would be an easy solution

and you already have all parts inside your soft :-)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 26.03.2020 um 04:39 schrieb Simon Brown:

Joe,

Which radio are you using?

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Sent: 26 March 2020 03:04

HI Simon,

Joe W4WT

jdow

Home menu->Auto Mute->Enable
Home menu->Auto Mute->Options to set levels that get muted.

{^_^}

On 20200325 10:56:06, Joe W4WT wrote:
Joe W4WT

Simon Brown

Sigi,

Yes – if the radio is supported by OmniRig then it’s easy. If not I have to add extra code. It’ll have to be an ancient radio not to have some CAT support.

As far as I understand things, he wants to TX and have the SDR muted, so CAT works now for that, if he can’t use CAT then it’s more work for me.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Siegfried Jackstien
Sent: 26 March 2020 12:00

Joe W4WT

Simon, the radio is an IC-9700.  I don't want to use SDRC as the controlling program for the 9700 for several reasons.  I want SatPC32 to do that.

JDOW, auto mute will NOT work in this scenario.  If you work satellites you know that your signal on the downlink is varying considerably and at it's strongest is virtually the same as any other strong signal.  Thus Auto Mute would mute you and many others.  Auto mute is designed to work with a much stronger signal like you would have if you were transmitting on or near the same frequency that the receiver is tuned to.  That is not the case here.

If we go back to my original desire, it was to use SDRC and it's connected SDR as a separate receiver ONLY.  Many separate receivers have a method to mute their audio based on a keyed line; Icom's IC-R8600 is an example.

And again, I wasn't asking for coding to be done to add this in; I just inquired if there was an existing way to do it.  I have a work-around so I'm good!  I think it would be nice for this function to be put on a "wish list" for the future as I doubt I'm the only one that would like this functionality (Sigi).

Joe W4WT

Siegfried Jackstien

you already have the code that checks the usb (com) port for tx (with a lime or pluto)

Pulling cts to ground on an ftdi chip

using that "marker" and mute audio on receive only sdr should be just one or two line of code i guess

(or a few lines of code changed a bit)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 26.03.2020 um 15:36 schrieb Simon Brown:

Sigi,

Yes – if the radio is supported by OmniRig then it’s easy. If not I have to add extra code. It’ll have to be an ancient radio not to have some CAT support.

As far as I understand things, he wants to TX and have the SDR muted, so CAT works now for that, if he can’t use CAT then it’s more work for me.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Siegfried Jackstien
Sent: 26 March 2020 12:00

jdow

That depends a LOT on how he has the software modularized.
{^_^}

On 20200326 11:27:32, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:
you already have the code that checks the usb (com) port for tx (with a lime or pluto)
Pulling cts to ground on an ftdi chip
using that "marker" and mute audio on receive only sdr should be just one or two line of code i guess
(or a few lines of code changed a bit)
greetz sigi dg9bfc
Am 26.03.2020 um 15:36 schrieb Simon Brown:

Sigi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

*From:*main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Siegfried Jackstien
*Sent:* 26 March 2020 12:00
*To:* main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [SDR-Radio] Mute audio

Simon Brown

Hi Joe,

Understood. I must now work on some commercial code for a few weeks, so this’ll have to wait I’m afraid.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Sent: 26 March 2020 16:46

Simon, the radio is an IC-9700.  I don't want to use SDRC as the controlling program for the 9700 for several reasons.  I want SatPC32 to do that.

JDOW, auto mute will NOT work in this scenario.  If you work satellites you know that your signal on the downlink is varying considerably and at it's strongest is virtually the same as any other strong signal.  Thus Auto Mute would mute you and many others.  Auto mute is designed to work with a much stronger signal like you would have if you were transmitting on or near the same frequency that the receiver is tuned to.  That is not the case here.

If we go back to my original desire, it was to use SDRC and it's connected SDR as a separate receiver ONLY.  Many separate receivers have a method to mute their audio based on a keyed line; Icom's IC-R8600 is an example.

And again, I wasn't asking for coding to be done to add this in; I just inquired if there was an existing way to do it.  I have a work-around so I'm good!  I think it would be nice for this function to be put on a "wish list" for the future as I doubt I'm the only one that would like this functionality (Sigi).

Joe W4WT

Julian Bone

I have always found it easier to communicate when I can hear sidetone (my own voice in the headset).
It allows me to alter the volume and clarity of my speech automatically to suit the circumstances.
With duplex it is good to be able to hear your own returned signal.
Is sidetone possible with SDR Console?
Should I build a preamp junction box with selectable input for the headphones.
Can anyone recommend a DIY knob tuning design.

Allan Isaacs

A wireless scrolling mouse would give you the main bits for a tuning knob Julian.

Allan G3PIY

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Julian Bone via Groups.Io
Sent: 28 March 2020 08:31

I have always found it easier to communicate when I can hear sidetone (my own voice in the headset).
It allows me to alter the volume and clarity of my speech automatically to suit the circumstances.
With duplex it is good to be able to hear your own returned signal.
Is sidetone possible with SDR Console?
Should I build a preamp junction box with selectable input for the headphones.
Can anyone recommend a DIY knob tuning design.

_._,_._,_