Topics

MIDI knobs #sdrconsolev3 #midi

Piotr Swiatkiewicz

Just tried Console with my old Behringer BCF2000 MIDI controller (motorized mixing console).
It has eight sliders and knobs and plenty of buttons. I wanted to get tunning working with one of the knobs,
but it seems not to be possible with this controller. When I try to assign the knob to the tune function in Console,
I get this:

Looks like the controller emits the index to identify the control (knob) and value in range 0..127,
so although I can physically rotate the knob freely in either direction there are bounds set in the firmware
of the MIDI controller itself. I would say MIDI standard range of 0..127.

Do you know of any solution - perhaps some MIDI router software running on the PC that could change
the way the knob works and - say - provide a virtual MIDI control which would nicely integrate with Console?

Peter
--
Piotr Świątkiewicz
Kraków, Poland

Paul White

Piotr, don't you anyway have a problem by trying to use a motorized controller?
I thought the idea behind those was 2-way communication, so that moving a knob or slider sent the necessary control signals, but also when the mixer (etc) device changed its value by another route, the controller read this and moved the control accordingly?

Piotr Swiatkiewicz

Paul, thanks for your input. The console I use has three kinds of controls: buttons, sliders and rotary encoders. Only sliders are motorized and I don't use them in the Console app. However, since the time I originally posted I have learned Behringer is very serious with their gear. This particular MIDI controller is an obsolete product today, but its configuration options are very advanced. I was able to set it up so that my "tune" knob sent "relative" value instead of absolute and tuning started working as expected. There are 6 possible settings for relative values, but I am now away from home, so will come back to this when I return.

Peter
--
Piotr Świątkiewicz
Kraków, Poland

Piotr Swiatkiewicz

Edited

This is what Behringer put in their documentation for BCF2000:

for rotary encoders, a given control (knob, slider) can be set up to emit e.g. Control Change or NRPN data type.
For each of those, there is one absolute control mode and as many as three relative control modes.
Each of those (absolute as well as relative) can be either standard (0..127) or high (14-bit) resolution.
For relative modes, there is a choice of 2's complement, binary offset or MSB value representation.
Would you be so kind and let me know which of those representations is most suitable for Console, please?
Oh, by the way: for the NRPN data type there is also one additional control mode: Increment / Decrement.

I chose Relative2 (binary offset) and for tune UP I get:

for DOWN:

Hope that is good enough (it works, although I can see some oddities in ver.3.0.13 build 1614 - I will
describe those in another thread if it isn't already reported).

Question: what is that Modifiers: field used for? How can I set it up?

Thanks!
Peter
--
Piotr Świątkiewicz