Midi Controllers

WW1SS. . . Steve

Having a hard time finding the Behringer CMD PL-1 controller. What other controllers are compatible with SDR Console?? Will a new Behringer work.

Thanks and 73 .  .  . WW1SS . . . Steve

Siegfried Jackstien

Hello Steve

in principle (or better say in fact) you can use ANY midi deck

use one that fits your needs ... as an example i wanted one with only ONE turn wheel (vfo) not two ... and with just a few buttons (and not a dozen of turn knobs that are unused)

see my layout in the picture

... ok to answer your question ... yes a new behringer will work (and a dozen others)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 16.11.2021 um 13:40 schrieb WW1SS. . . Steve via groups.io:

Having a hard time finding the Behringer CMD PL-1 controller. What other controllers are compatible with SDR Console?? Will a new Behringer work.

Thanks and 73 .  .  . WW1SS . . . Steve

WW1SS. . . Steve

Which one are you using??

Siegfried Jackstien

Hi Steve

Mine is an EKS XP-5 ... (a bit older ... can sometimes be found used for a few bucks in evilbay)

Half of the buttons got an autorepeat ... if you want to tune in 1 kc steps, only holding of the button is needed (not pushing and pushing and pu...wearing out the buttons)

as an example you want to change drive from 50 to 70 ... no need to push +DRV 20 times ... push once and hold for a while

that ekx has a nice graphical editor. Any button can play any midinote, with or without autorepeat, single action or range (button or turn knob/slider) and if you are crazy you can combine buttons

only one slider and one wheel?? no problem .. you can COMBINE buttons (with other buttons, with the wheel, or with the slider)

say simon adds RIT (and no free know cause THERe ARE NO TURN KNOBS ...

configure a "switch wheel to rit" button ... push button and turn wheel (changes rit) ... release button wheel is again normal vfo

for now i only combined the touch sensor with the wheel (100hz and 10hz steps), but other things could be added

greetz sigi dg9bfc

ps if you find one used ... drop me a mail to get driver and presets and mappings , READY TO USE!!

Am 16.11.2021 um 15:21 schrieb WW1SS. . . Steve via groups.io:

Which one are you using??

Bill Walch

I found one out of Canada, but the store said the can't ship to the US.

On 11/16/2021 7:40 AM, WW1SS. . . Steve via groups.io wrote:
Having a hard time finding the Behringer CMD PL-1 controller. What other controllers are compatible with SDR Console?? Will a new Behringer work.

Thanks and 73 .  .  . WW1SS . . . Steve

BobS

Does SDR-Console support any keyboard shortcuts, like + or - or such, to allow for tuning? I ask because I use the Griffin PowerMate for many radio programs as a tuning knob and also to change modes or frequency steps if the program has a shortcut. While no longer in production, they can be found on the secondary market. It works fine with Windows 11.

However, I cannot seem to find any direct keyboard shortcuts to use with SDR-Console. What I do is daisy-chain another radio control program into SDR-Console via the Kenwood CAT emulation.

It is quite nice to have a bona fide tuning knob. It's simply a better interface than a mouse or keyboard.

Bob, W4RLS

Max

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 02:25 PM, BobS wrote:
Does SDR-Console support any keyboard shortcuts, like + or - or such, to allow for tuning?
With the cursor placed over the spectrum or waterfall display, keyboard arrow/cursor keys left/right (normal steps) and up/down (x10).

Simon, it's not mentioned in here. Could do with adding?
https://www.sdr-radio.com/tuning

73

Max

Simon Brown

Agreed.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 02:25 PM, BobS wrote:

Does SDR-Console support any keyboard shortcuts, like + or - or such, to allow for tuning?

With the cursor placed over the spectrum or waterfall display, keyboard arrow/cursor keys left/right (normal steps) and up/down (x10).

Simon, it's not mentioned in here. Could do with adding?
https://www.sdr-radio.com/tuning

73

Max

Bill Walch

In a similar vein, there's an old MS Flight Sim control hack, that used a gutted old keyboard, and with a little DIY ingenuity, you could construct a fully functional cockpit controls array (hundreds of options with keyboard key mapping, Alt-Shift-Ctrl, etc.). This was possible because MSFS used keyboard controls extensively. Way too cumbersome and convoluted to click on each option.

Here too, SDRC "could" do the same thing, with keyboard assignments to the various options, freq controls, modes, etc. I of course realize that this could potentially be a big coding project in and of itself (I've done it myself), but in the end, using a USB based device that's already mapped in Windows, it's just adding the code to recognize a specific keystroke, same as that to react to a mouse click / wheel turn.

Back in ancient times of radio, DIY was the only way to get on the air. Yes it was a challenge, but that's what made it fun and a great hobby in the first place. This could also put the MIDI controller debate to sleep.

Bill

On 11/18/2021 12:51 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

Agreed.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 02:25 PM, BobS wrote:

Does SDR-Console support any keyboard shortcuts, like + or - or such, to allow for tuning?

With the cursor placed over the spectrum or waterfall display, keyboard arrow/cursor keys left/right (normal steps) and up/down (x10).

Simon, it's not mentioned in here. Could do with adding?
https://www.sdr-radio.com/tuning

73

Max

buy a midi deck

assign functions

done

dg9bfc sigi

Am 18.11.2021 um 22:23 schrieb Bill Walch:

[...]

vk3xz

Hi Sigi,

Could you recommend a midi desk supplier? I have dealt with this device but would like to try. Please provide maker and model number please? where to buy such device? cheers Mike VK4SY

On 19/11/2021 08:03, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:

[...]

Hi MIke,

in sdr console you can make ANY midi deck to work, so you have to look what deck fits your needs. How many turn knobs, vfo wheels, buttons do you want?

i use an EKS XP-5 that found used on evilbay. I did not want to have TWO wheels so i searched for a deck with just a single wheel for vfo control.

and ... i did not want to have lots of unused buttons/knobs so i took the xp5 (it has enough buttons for MY needs)

so ... at first think about what functions do you want on the deck (look what functions Simon implemented in console!!)

Take a picture of the deck you plan to use, and make a similar picture as i have added to this mail. Then you know if it fits your needs or if you should look for a different deck.

Other users of console have a Behringer or similar deck with TWO turn wheels (fine and coarse tune) but i just need 100 and 10hz steps on a single wheel and i do 1kc and 10kc steps with buttons, that i reconfigured with the midi deck editor to act "like" a turn wheel. (with added autorepeat)

Repeat ... ANY midi controller works or can be made to work.

In sdr console is a "learning" function for midi. Select the function that you want to assign (here in my example the turn wheel for vfo) and turn the wheel or press the button. Press "ok" to save the function. Do that with all buttons and sliders/turn knobs on your deck. DONE!

My midi deck has a nice editor, where you can edit every button or slider (what note to send on what button). Other decks have all buttons "fixed" (no editor). So ... look what functions do you need/want on the deck, then look if you find a dj deck that fits your needs (at best a unit that comes WITH an editor for such things like autorepeat etc).

I can not recommend any special deck (besides mine, cause that works superb). Ask in the sdr radio group what others are using and what were their findings. And then think what YOU want on your deck. A few "spare" buttons are ok (maybe Simon adds new functions later).

Where to buy?? EVILBAY ... or a shop where professional musicians and dj buy their stuff (sure a bit more expensive then).

What to buy?? See above. I do not know what YOU want to be used on your deck, if you want one or two turn wheels, if you want buttons with "backlight" (yes some dj deck has lamps below the buttons) ... if you want a small (mini) dj deck (to save room on your desk and use just minimal functions) ... or a bigger one (more weight and more buttons)

So... do not rely on MY findings only ... ask here in the group what others are using and what they like (or do not like) on their decks. How heavy (or not) the deck is, if it comes with or without an editor, how "robust" (or not) the deck feels, if they would buy it again etc etc etc.

Greetz sigi dg9bfc

ps if you get a used xp5 then drop me a mail .. i can then send you the driver and mappings/presets that i use here ... saves you 4 days of work hi hi

Am 18.11.2021 um 23:45 schrieb vk3xz:

[...]

Hello Mike

did you also look here:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/midi-controllers

greetz sigi dg9bfc

[...]

Look up the Mackie universal pro. SDRConsole CANNOT make that work. Those sliders are motorized MIDI controlled as are the rotary encoders and led readouts on the top row left and then there is the controllable text display.

It is kinda large. Add the extension panel (a second left hand side) and you have a monster. It would be a fun challenge to make it work with SDRConsole as well as it can fit a radio world rather than a theater console world.

Moral of the story, Sigi, is that "any" is a very big word and "ANY" is even bigger.

{^_-}

On 20211119 05:37:42, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:

[...]

xp5_setup_actual_edit.jpg

Midi_eks_xp5_up.jpg

Siegfried Jackstien

large and expensive ... and not a simple dj deck we are talking about

if it speaks midi i guess even that monster can be used (ok with a thousand unused buttons but...)

do anybody wants to spend 1200 bucks to control his 200 bucks sdr?!? i guess not

but if YOU have such a monster deck, see if sdr console gets midi notes from it.

You sure can move those motorized sliders by hand and if the buttons also give midi notes, then give it a try in sdrc v3 b ;-)

Moral of the story... ANY MIDI DEVICE THAT SENDS NOTES CAN BE USED ... GRIN

ok ... a monster deck will have a lot of unsupported functions but if it sends notes to sdrc v3 .. it will work

if the led text display would show the frequency of the sdr ... (dreaming a bit) :-)

Sandor (dm4ds) made his own "midibox" (a rotary encoder, a few additional buttons and leds around an arduino). I guess if you add an lcd display to that arduino and add cat commands to its code then you also could add a frequency readout (for sure easier as asking simon to get such a monster deck supported WITH led display)

Any device that sends midi notes ... that would describe it better.. (even a fancy syntie or other keyboard could be used IF it sends notes ...)

Joanne ... does that monster send notes?? if answer is yes, then .............

dg9bfc sigi

Am 19.11.2021 um 15:47 schrieb jdow:

[...]

jdow

You CAN get then for much less used. If it still works 100% it is an utterly fascinating tool - if you are willing to invest a boatload of realestate to it. An American DJ tool is probably the way to go. And they come in all manner of sizes and designs. "Guitar Center" and "Sweetwater" are better places to look than the usual ham suppliers.

{^_^}

On 20211119 08:19:33, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:

[...]

BTW - that Mackie thing uses more than MIDI notes. It also uses MIDI SysEx commands. It ran out of notes.

{^_-}

[...]

Lorenz Graßl

Hi from Bavaria,

In a similar vein, there's an old MS Flight Sim control hack, that used a gutted old keyboard, and with a little DIY ingenuity, you could construct a fully functional cockpit controls array (hundreds of options with keyboard key mapping, Alt-Shift-Ctrl, etc.). This was possible because MSFS used keyboard controls extensively. Way too cumbersome and convoluted to click on each option.
I fully agree with that! I just use SDRC with my "Behringer X-touch mini" MIDI-controller but:
as an FS-user (X-Plane) I also extensively use keyboard-shortcuts with my FS. If SDRC would be able to work with keyboard-shortcuts (hundreds of them can be applied for any function) it could work also with the famous and very good "ELGATO Stream Deck" which also emulates shortcuts. Unfortunately there are not that much MIDI-commands in SDRC maybe such like zoom spectrum in/out, move spectrum left/right, recall memories or settings and so on. I´m quite curious what Simon thinks about this.

My opinion: I would love it to combine the MIDI and shortcut-world in SDRC. Because MIDI-controllers and their knobs (for tuning) are really a great option in SDRC.

As I´m not a coder I dare to ask: maybe it´s possible that SDRC has by default a "shortcut-capability" and comes without any predefined shortcut at all. But: the user will be able to create his own custom-shortcuts? That´s the way flightsims work. Each of the hundreds of controls are available for a shortcut but just some are preset.

Simon - and of course all the users: what do you think?

73 de Lenz,
DL8RDL

Gordon LaPoint

I'm trying to use a Hercules DJ Control MP3 e2, does anyone have a file to load for this controler?   I have got normal tune up/dwn working, so I know it works.

Thanks,

Gordon - N1MGO

Max

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 10:13 PM, Lorenz Graßl wrote:
As I´m not a coder I dare to ask: maybe it´s possible that SDRC has by default a "shortcut-capability" and comes without any predefined shortcut at all. But: the user will be able to create his own custom-shortcuts? That´s the way flightsims work. Each of the hundreds of controls are available for a shortcut but just some are preset.

Simon - and of course all the users: what do you think?

I agree totally with this and have mentioned it to Simon many times that would be great if pretty much any button on the GUI or any menu could be assigned a keyboard shortcut. I actually far prefer this mode of operation. For a start it means less clutter on the desk without dedicated controllers. In my former life I was a broadcast video/film editor and the world standard editing program AVID allows exactly this. Absolutely any function/button or drop-down menu item can be assigned to a keyboard shortcut and so the interface via the keyboard was 100% flexible to the requirements of the individual person. You'd be amazed how fast you can edit video once you have all the functions assigned to keys exactly as you want them, and SDRC could be the same. So much quicker to hit U for USB, L for LSB, C for CW etc etc than have to grab mouse and move pointer to the relevant button on the screen.

In SDRC some menu functions are assignable to shortcuts, but I think no buttons on the GUI are, which I'm more interested in enabling this way than the tab menu items.

73

Max