Lost cat control to external radio

Cody <kc2lsd@...>

I had everyhtnig working well . Now when I try to run my external radio I get the Omni Rig fault. I using Omni 1.2  . I think it's configured correctly, My radio is set to Com 7 I have the correct radio assigned . Any ideas
--
Thank you

Max

Screenshots of the fault condition always helps to diagnose the issue.

I don't use an external radio but I do use several external progs that communicate via serial ports. Don't forget that comms between SDR Console and any external program or kit requires a pair of ports for each application. One for the kit/program and one for SDR Console. That's often where the problem lies.

When you say "the omni rig fault", describe the issue/error exactly, together with a screenshot (or two) of the situation in the fault condition. May have to use Windows screen grab to capture any error boxes external to SDR Console.

With some comms issues I sometimes find it's worth shutting every program down, then run SDRC first, then the other program last.

Max

Max

On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 01:33 AM, Cody wrote:
I had everyhtnig working well . Now when I try to run my external radio I get the Omni Rig fault. I using Omni 1.2  .
https://www.sdr-radio.com/screenshot

Max

Cody <kc2lsd@...>

Max I can't seem to find how to attach my photos. When I try to open the external radio it's looking for Omni Rig,that's SDRC contacts to my radio.
--
Thanks Cody

Cody <kc2lsd@...>

When I set up Omni Rig I am using the comport assigned to my radio "Com 7"
--
Thank you

Cody <kc2lsd@...>

Sorry I thought I added this photo. When I try to open the external radio here what I get:
--
Thanks you

jdow

With com0com or equivalent you get virtual cables that have two ends. If you try to open COM7 in SDRC and in OmniRig it's not going to work. Find the other end of COM7's virtual cable and have one of the two use it instead of COM7.

{o.o}

On 20220705 11:08:42, Cody via groups.io wrote:
Sorry I thought I added this photo. When I try to open the external radio here what I get:
--
Thanks you
0505.jpg

Cody <kc2lsd@...>

jdow thanks for the quick reply. My radio is using com 7, Yaesu installs two com ports one for rig control, in my case com 7 and com 8 sends data cw digital ect. So how can I use a virtual cable? Where do I set the VC in SDRC? I’m new to the realm of virtual anything. I thought I only need  OmniRig Vrs. 1.20 which is what I have installed. I did have it working last week ago

--
Thanks you

jdow

I am thinking in terms of communications between OmniRig and SDRC. Remember that you cannot open a com port and share it with multiple applications. So you cannot connect SDRC to the radio's comport and OmniRig to the radio's comport at the same time.

{^_^}

On 20220705 12:28:15, Cody via groups.io wrote:
jdow thanks for the quick reply. My radio is using com 7, Yaesu installs two com ports one for rig control, in my case com 7 and com 8 sends data cw digital ect. So how can I use a virtual cable? Where do I set the VC in SDRC? I’m new to the realm of virtual anything. I thought I only need  OmniRig Vrs. 1.20 which is what I have installed. I did have it working last week ago

--
Thanks you
Untitled.jpg

Siegfried Jackstien

virtual comport may be a shared port .. one end to sdrc ... other end to omnirig

dg9bfc sigi

Am 05.07.2022 um 22:29 schrieb jdow:

I am thinking in terms of communications between OmniRig and SDRC. Remember that you cannot open a com port and share it with multiple applications. So you cannot connect SDRC to the radio's comport and OmniRig to the radio's comport at the same time.

{^_^}

On 20220705 12:28:15, Cody via groups.io wrote:
jdow thanks for the quick reply. My radio is using com 7, Yaesu installs two com ports one for rig control, in my case com 7 and com 8 sends data cw digital ect. So how can I use a virtual cable? Where do I set the VC in SDRC? I’m new to the realm of virtual anything. I thought I only need  OmniRig Vrs. 1.20 which is what I have installed. I did have it working last week ago

--
Thanks you
Untitled.jpg

Cody <kc2lsd@...>

So how does one make this happen? Last week my issues was I was running the wrong version of Omni Rig the corect one is 1.20 which is what I am running.
Thanks again but there has to be a solution

Thjanks again
Cody

Cody <kc2lsd@...>

Siegfried ,where or how do I select a port in SDRC? Perhaps this is what I am missing.
--
Thank you

jdow

I would think they'd have different COM port numbers. Two things connected to the same COMn port would be the same as two terminals connected together with a 1:1 cable rather than a cable that twists R and T wires and the flow control wires.

{^_^}

On 20220705 14:06:51, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:

[...]

Tools menu. Options. Take a tour. You will find all manner of interesting things including com port selections for various things. And your ideal source for help is, believe it or not, https://www.sddr-radio.com and some small dab of exploratory spirit as you wander through the menus leading to pages just chock full of interesting help.

{^_^}

On 20220705 15:24:47, Cody via groups.io wrote:
Siegfried ,where or how do I select a port in SDRC? Perhaps this is what I am missing.
--
Thank you

Dennis Matzen

The interface between SDRC and Omni-Rig is an API only I believe. The only COM port setting for connection to your radio is in the Omni-Rig Settings:

That is the only place I have any COM port setting defined.

I am using Omni-Rig version 1.19. It works fine so I see no reason to change.
--
Dennis
KA6FUB

Dennis Matzen

Oh, and to see the External Radio settings click on the "?" on the External Radio window.
--
Dennis
KA6FUB

Siegfried Jackstien

i vspe you can use a "pair" of comports (see that as a cable with two different numbers on its end)

or a "splitter" (shared port)

or ... ?(many different settings possible in vspe .. to many to discuss them all here) ;-)

yes a shared port would be sendng a command to more then just one terminal

say you want to send a frequency to your rig, logbook, cluster spot software (and whatever) ... sometimes a shared port does help (in other cases not)

or ... you have a cat soft that controls rigs qrg but ptt is done with a circuit on the rts pin (and not via cat command) ... alslo then a shared port (splitter) is helpful

so ... it depends ;-)

dg9bfc sigi

ps remember a virtual port is a different thingy as a real port ... even if sometimes it behaves similar

Am 06.07.2022 um 01:21 schrieb jdow:

[...]

Normally speaking a shared port would not communicate with each other but would both communicate with a third port. At least that is the way the lower level windows code is setup unless it has changed since Win7. I've seen no indication that this is the case.

The standard serial concept is a data terminal (DTE) and a modem (DCE) that use different physical pins for transmit and receive. Special cables are needed to have two terminals communicate with each other as opposed for one of them to communicate with the computer. This is pretty much the RS232 model. There are the RS422 and RS485 which can or can be pushed into a telephone "party line"  multiple speakers and multiple receivers, on the same wire. But, usually Windows thinks in terms of RS232, one DTE communicating with one DCE with many of the "in" and "out" aspects of the pin definitions being reversed. Hooking up 3 devices on one wire means you grow burn out problems and communications problems.

{o.o}

On 20220705 17:29:42, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:

[...]

BINGO !

Fearing I had nothing to lose. I uninstalled  OmniRig 1.20 and reinstalled it. The BINGO.
Thanks for the feedback guys
73
Cody