Topics

LimeSDRmini at USB3

Lorenz Graßl

Hello from Germany,

I´m trying to find out why I got severe problems running my LimeSDRmini together with SDR-Console, connected to USB3.

I use an ASUS laptop, i7, 12GB RAM, SSD-drive for a completely updatded WIN10 and all those programs running. I bought that computer 2014/10

At the moment I successfully use a quite simple, 5m long USB2-cable. Sometimes I got the Console "hanging" or crashing, but that´s happening kinda seldom and usually everything runs fine. As the Lime and my computer standing not really side by side and 5m USB-cable is not really long enough (6-7m would be better!) I thought: maybe the whole thing becomes more stable when I use a) USB3 and b) a well shielded 10m USB3-cable with amplifier and external power included.

I bought this cable:
USB 3.0 Aktives Verlängerungskabel
        10 Meter zweifacher Verstärker
...but this cable, which seemed well shielded, did not do the trick. I started my first attempts to run the Lime with my new cable, everything ran fine! But when I tried to work with SDRConsole (changing QRG, switching RX to TX and so on) SDRC freezed after a few seconds. After a while suffering with crashing stuff I changed back to my 5m-USB2-cable and things went fine again.

Are there suggestions/ideas/experiences why these USB3-thing is not working properly? The goal is to have 10m USB-cable running between my computer and the Lime.

Thankful for your answers!
Lenz, DL8RDL

Siegfried Jackstien

buy a pluto and use a network cable ... grin :-)

or ... buy a small preamp behind lime and place it closer to pc (and then have enough power for a longer coax cable)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 09.09.2019 um 16:17 schrieb Lorenz Graßl:

[...]

Allan Isaacs

Lenz

My Lime uses a Y-cable with two USB plugs so that it can collect extra power from the USB ports.

Have you tried an external power supply?

Allan G3PIY

I´m trying to find out why I got severe problems running my LimeSDRmini together with SDR-Console, connected to USB3.