Lime SDR Mini - Odd Two Peak Pattern on Many Frequencies

Michael Durkin

Gqrx has a id string issue ....

When your in the settings pane ... delete most all of the ID string except ...

driver=lime,soapy=0

Or soapy=1

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018, 1:09 PM <k6msm@...> wrote:
No worries, Simon.  Thank you.  I just wanted to see if anyone else had the problem in the interim.

Looks like they may.

I took a break from the Mini for a couple days as I was getting obsessed with fixing it.  I still was unable to get another SDR to work.  Maybe I'll have better luck now or maybe I really need to get serious about Linux.  I hadn't Cubic yet.  Gqrx just gives me nothing.  No waterfall.  I only want something else to work to test it.  No other SDR comes close to SDR Console IMO.

Mike
K6MSM

k6msm@...

Yep, thanks!  I selected the SOAPY one and it worked.  See attached.  Now to test the frequency changes on that.  Once I figure out how.  I'm so spoiled by SDR Console compared to these others...

And yes, Simon, cool...  I got some heat sinks for the case.  Any other suggestions are welcome as I didn't want to glue them on if there was a chance for a return.  It's not too cool in California right now.

Mike
K6MSM

Michael Durkin

Would you like a pic of gqrx config pane (its too simple) or sdrangel ...

Least with SdrAngel you can configure the low pass filter (the one after the mixer)
Im using SdrAngel on a 8 thread Xeon ... no USB3.0 though .... realy realy realy need USB3.0... no Tx with USB2.0...

Its funny ... i think i can hear my cell phone transmitting ...

I think i will fit some of my Wifi BiQuad antenna for the LimeSDR ... 

Any one in WaSt (Spokane) on 2.4Ghz band?

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018, 5:05 PM <k6msm@...> wrote:
Yep, thanks!  I selected the SOAPY one and it worked.  See attached.  Now to test the frequency changes on that.  Once I figure out how.  I'm so spoiled by SDR Console compared to these others...

And yes, Simon, cool...  I got some heat sinks for the case.  Any other suggestions are welcome as I didn't want to glue them on if there was a chance for a return.  It's not too cool in California right now.

Mike
K6MSM

Attachments:

Simon Brown

Well,

I’ll try to fire my mini up this weekend, compare logs and try to address the problem.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of k6msm@...
Sent: 08 September 2018 01:05
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Lime SDR Mini - Odd Two Peak Pattern on Many Frequencies

Mike
K6MSM

k6msm@...

I did some more testing tonight and it's consistently giving me an error as I now call it on specific frequencies.  It's not as random as I thought.  Here are the error frequencies (err):

Antenna Wilson Wilson Wilson
  Omni Omni Omni
  Deck Deck Deck
  20' pole 20' pole 20' pole
  9/7/2018 9/7/2018 9/7/2018
SDR SDRP2 Lime Mini Lime Mini
Settings 4, Auto W, -12, -3 H, -12, -3
BW 8 7.5 7.5

SNR SNR SNR
FM1 40 nt nt
FM2 50 48 34
FM3 45 nt nt
147.435 34 40 28
WX-OC 45 err err
7 35 22 12
9 20 nt nt
11 27 nt nt
13 24 17 3
448.06 21 32 16
KNX 450 28 24 14
18 30 err err
28 15 6 5
36 30 err err
43 10 err err
51 5 4 2
B29 12 13 1
B12 31 35 19
B17 29 30 22
B13 29 32 26
B14 4 5 0
B26 19 6 4
B5 20 6 5
B2-A 16 err err
B25 9 16 18
B4-T - 16 18
B66-V - 0 0
B30-A - 0 0
B41-S - err err

k6msm@...

I apologize, the chart formatting didn't work.  Re-attaching as an image.  US bands and TV channels, etc.

Simon Brown

OK,

Building 3.0.3, will start this issue in 10 minutes or so.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simon Brown
Sent: 08 September 2018 05:23
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Lime SDR Mini - Odd Two Peak Pattern on Many Frequencies

Well,

I’ll try to fire my mini up this weekend, compare logs and try to address the problem.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of k6msm@...

Mike
K6MSM

Simon Brown

Progress of a sort.

• I’ve found an issue with my hardware / software and the Lime Mini – I can’t set the centre frequency to 1.25GHz! 1.255 and 1.26 GHz works, 1.25 GHz returns success but doesn’t change the board. Have reported this, awaiting response.
  • I’ve added more diagnsotics as I’m seeing values in your log that I don’t see in mine.
  • I’ll make you a 3.0.4 kit (3.0.3 will be released today) and send you a private link, I’ll be after these diagnostics.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simon Brown
Sent: 11 September 2018 09:47

OK,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Well,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Mike
K6MSM

Siegfried Jackstien

is this also for the lime??? or just for the mini?!?

dg9bfc sigi

Am 11.09.2018 um 13:58 schrieb Simon Brown:

Progress of a sort.

• I’ve found an issue with my hardware / software and the Lime Mini – I can’t set the centre frequency to 1.25GHz! 1.255 and 1.26 GHz works, 1.25 GHz returns success but doesn’t change the board. Have reported this, awaiting response.
  • I’ve added more diagnsotics as I’m seeing values in your log that I don’t see in mine.
  • I’ll make you a 3.0.4 kit (3.0.3 will be released today) and send you a private link, I’ll be after these diagnostics.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

OK,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Well,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Mike
K6MSM

Simon Brown

Don’t know, only encountered this with the Mini.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Siegfried Jackstien
Sent: 11 September 2018 17:18

is this also for the lime??? or just for the mini?!?

dg9bfc sigi

Am 11.09.2018 um 13:58 schrieb Simon Brown:

Progress of a sort.

·       I’ve found an issue with my hardware / software and the Lime Mini – I can’t set the centre frequency to 1.25GHz! 1.255 and 1.26 GHz works, 1.25 GHz returns success but doesn’t change the board. Have reported this, awaiting response.

·       I’ve added more diagnsotics as I’m seeing values in your log that I don’t see in mine.

·       I’ll make you a 3.0.4 kit (3.0.3 will be released today) and send you a private link, I’ll be after these diagnostics.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

OK,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Well,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Mike
K6MSM

k6msm@...

Thanks, Simon.  I'm glad to hear you found something and that I'm not going nuts.

I will look forward to trying the fix, when ready.

I have not duplicated my twin peaks problem on the Lime USB (regular Lime SDR).

Mike
K6MSM

Simon Brown

Hi Mike,

Version 3.0.3 has more diagnostics – I would be interested in a logfile.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 04 September 2018 21:18

Office desktop results the same and I just did a clean SDR install.  Intermittent twin peaks when changing frequencies.

Caps and log for review.

Anyone else with a Lime-SDR Mini reading this?  I am curious for results on another Lime-SDR Mini.

I'm going to try getting another SDR program running again when I can, so far no luck except for Pothos and I don't know how to use that well enough.

Mike
K6MSM

k6msm@...

Hi, Simon.

Here you go.  Loaded new version.  Same results.  Log attached.

Mike
K6MSM

k6msm@...

It got truncated.  Let me try a zip file.

k6msm@...

Hi Simon,

What would you like me to try next?  I'd like to sell off the Mini (no rush), but want to help resolve this with SDR Console first.

Mike
K6MSM

Simon Brown

You do have plenty of power? When you get two peaks, try changing the centre frequency via the slider at the bottom – change it just a tad.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 14 September 2018 16:45

Hi Simon,

What would you like me to try next?  I'd like to sell off the Mini (no rush), but want to help resolve this with SDR Console first.

Mike
K6MSM

k6msm@...

Yes, I have it back on a powered hub for now and the tester shows no significant voltage drop.

Changing the frequency slider above the signal history works after a random number of tries. 1-5 tries so far.

Mike
K6MSM

Simon Brown

OK,

I’m still tempted to suggest the USB power / heat / whatever. Sorry I can’t help further, I can perform tests with the bladeRF2 any time you want.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 16 September 2018 15:54

Yes, I have it back on a powered hub for now and the tester shows no significant voltage drop.

Changing the frequency slider above the signal history works after a random number of tries. 1-5 tries so far.

Mike
K6MSM